X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You are....

kiltedwolfman

You are....

...wearing a contemporary kilt, thinking about wearing a contemporary kilt, or are just interested int he contemporary kilt concept and are about to stroll into a kilt shop. What would you be looking for as far as products aside from kilts, in a contemporary kilt shop?

I got to thinking about all the things people see in a stereotypical kilt shop, and got to wondering just what people would look to be able to aquire in a strictly contemporary kilt shop as opposed to a traditional shop. I thought I would pose the question here and see what the great rabble could come up with as to the ideal contemporary inventory.

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: You are....

If you mean accessories, I think of the 2" prong buckle work belt in leather, also other materiel's; webbing, I think it's called.
    Maybe some knee-high, thick socks, like soccer socks, and perhaps contemporary sporrans.
    Can't really say on kilt pin types of things.
    Not sure what else because you can just wear the rest of your clothing that you already have.

Oh, and someone who knows what they're doing and talking about running the place, of course.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

kiltedwolfman

Totally on the right track there, I'm thinking about the kinds of accessories, jackets, hats etc. Things that a consumer would think would look awesome with a non tradtional kilt, and of course be willing to spend your hard earned dollars on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guess a kilt-length sport jacket might be an option, but I think that might have to be made or ordered. In other words, I don't know if you would have a rack of them hanging around the store, other than examples.

I want to wear the clothes I already have with the non-trad, unless it just doesn't work.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a tough call, Getting the consumer into your shop is one thing then to htie up ones cash in inventory that doesn't move quickly could be a burden. The accessories would have to be attractive to the non kilt wearer, get them into the shop and possibly get them into a kilt.
    In Canada there are only possibly three shops that sell and make contemporary kilts in the premises; Burnetts & Struth, Freedom Kilts and of course RKilts. We all carry a wide range of accessories that compliment both the traditional and contemporary.
    I was working on a line of footwear, but that's a tough call to have them in stock. Much easier to have a good selection of hose, shirts, belts and the like.
    When you come into my shop, the leather goods are one of the prominent items to look and handle and are most impressive. The fact that you can actually see the product being made and the machines used in the process is a major bonus, I can think of only myself and Freedom kilts where that is possible

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Real men already know exactly what they want long before they even know they're going to the store. They've envisioned it over and over, so too many accessories might be a bit of a distraction.

This comes from eons of preparing for the Hunt where the tribal shaman and his people see the game in their minds, move in dances like the game, dream of the game, see themselves eating the game...

Then nothing goes right, and someone probably falls in the lake. They still usually end up with something, so it kind of works. They have to convince themselves they wanted what they got, and that it is better than everyone else's when all is said and done, though.

* in all seriousness, I think being able to see a kilt being worked on is a big plus. I tried to exclude anything like that from my answer. There should be examples of kilt styles, photos of kilts, etc. An even bigger plus is being able to pick between materiel's and styles for the kilt. That really goes to the heart of non-traditional, contemporary kilts. This is why I did not make much of having a bunch of accessories in the store; the focus is on the kilt and it's design.

I'll shut up now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bugbear View Post
    ...Real men already know exactly what they want ... This comes from eons of preparing for the Hunt...
    Thank you Ted. Interesting concept which I shall borrow and give to my wife next time she's dragging me round the shops trying on shoes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Specialty Shop vs. Super Store

Most traditional kilt shops that I've been into are actually more like Scottish culture emporiums. I don't think that is the way to go for contemporary kilts.

The Utilikilts shop in Seattle IIRC, has mostly just kilts. Some wide leather belts, chunky metal enhanced boots, long socks, logo t-shirts/hoodies... but mostly just lots of kilts!
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Clothing. Rugby shirts, sweaters, T-shirts, etc. Celtic or kilt themes: certainly but other, unrelated products too.

2. Footwear. Combat boots, steel toed boots, shoes, etc.

3. Kilt pins that would be appropriate for a modern kilt (with a wide apron)

4. Modern sporrans (nothing like what you'd find in a typical kilt shop)

5. Belts & buckles of all kinds

6. Hats. All kinds. From berets to Indiana Jones hats to pith helmets

7. Outdoor wear/gear/accessories

8. Leatherwear. Jackets, vests, etc

9. Leather wallets & chains - for that neo-90s grunge look

How's that?

kiltedwolfman

Outstanding input folks! Please keep it a' comin'!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast