X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Untucked shirt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Untucked shirt

For me it's a matter of where the waistline sits. Wearing a traditional 2" rise kilt, especially as a smallish guy, can make the line between upper and lower garment look a little high. This is a good reason to wear a belt or waistcoat, but untucking a tshirt or maybe a polo shirt can drop the waistline down for a better overall if more casual profile. Untucking a button down shirt with a collar can present the opposite problem. These days such shirts tend to have short 'tails' intended to help keep them tucked and this shirt will hang too far down and look sloppy in the same way that a sport coat with a kilt looks too long and sloppy. These issues become less relevant with a more 'modern' profile of contemporary kilts. Of course the level of formality in dress must be considered and I would never untuck if I need to be perfectly presentable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When wearing jeans or shorts, my shirts are normally untucked. When wearing slacks or dress pants, they normally are tucked in. I don't have many rules as far as "fashion" is concerned, but the 2 I am most adament about are;
    1) All shirts are always tucked in when wearing a kilt. Even my Amerikilts I wear up around my waist, like a traditional kilt. This makes all shirts too long and sloppy looking. (sweaters are not shirts. Olive kilts and black wooly pullies were made for each other )

2) Hawaiian shirts and Guayaberas (the afore mentioned "Cuban shirt") must never be tucked in. They aren't meant to be, and it looks ridculous.

These 2 rules I just can't break, therefore, I just can't wear these shirts with a kilt.

Have Fun,
    Java

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, Java makes a good point - I have a couple of casual shirts that are designed not to be tucked in...and, I don't. (But, I don't wear them with the kilt.)

Mike_Oettle is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I dress with a kilt, I put it on after the shirt (obviously over the tails). When I undress, the kilt comes off before the shirt.
    In a casual situation I might take a formal shirt off and replace it with a T-shirt or golf shirt, but it hasn’t happened yet.
    Tucking the bottom of the shirt in when the kilt is already on seems to me to be a bit tricky.
    Regards,
    Mike
    The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
    [Proverbs 14:27]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dislike tucking shirts into pants when I don't need to (formal ware), but with kilts, even a Utilikilt and a t-shirt, things just seem to go together better tucked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well....I myself am an "Untucker" I don't know if it's because of my generation or because I think I look slimmer with it untucked, but I've worn shirts, sweaters, hoodies, and even t-shirts untucked, the only thing I do tuck in is for when I'm going formal, things like a nice button down shirt with a vest or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tuck all my shirts with the kilt. T-shirt, polo, golf, or dress shirts look better tucked in a kilt. Plus like another poster said, it makes the shirt wick any oils from the skin therefore keeping them off the kilt.
    Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried for the first time an untucked shirt with my kilt at Renfest a couple weeks ago.. and I have to say when I saw the pics , I thought it looked like cr@p... I'll go back to tucking it in.
    David

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Always tucked in for me. When working in the summer doing trail work, whether in a kilt, shorts, or trousers, my t-shirt is tucked in. I find that having the t-shirt material betwixt myself and the waist band to be much more comfortable.
    Kilted Teacher and Wilderness Ranger and proud member of Clan Donald, USA
    Happy patron of Jack of the Wood Celtic Pub and Highland Brewery in beautiful, walkable, and very kilt-friendly Asheville, NC.
    New home of Sierra Nevada AND New Belgium breweries!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234