X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt Pins on Canvas Kilts?

There is no way I am going to try to stick my blanket pin through the apron of my canvas kilt. My zebra pin has a much smaller pin, but it looks like it still messes up the threads a little.

I'm wondering if anyone has sewn on a small strip of fabric to the apron of a canvas kilt to stick the pin through? Maybe a matching tube of fabric for the blanket pin?

I have matching bias tape that I could use, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried this before I go to the trouble.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Kilt Pins on Canvas Kilts?

I have a pin I put on my Utilikilts from time to time and haven't had any issues (so far). It's just a standard (though generic) sword, kilt-pin. Of the kilts, one of them is the Workmen's in the heavy Carhartt material, the other is a Survival in regular ole' fashioned cotton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe use rare earth magnets?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robthehiker View Post
    Maybe use rare earth magnets?
    we were just discussing that over here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zirrow View Post
    we were just discussing that over here
    great minds...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying to think of the best way to sew or attach the tube made from bias tape to the apron for the blanket pin.

I could make the tube with one edge left sticking out along the length after I turn it inside-out, there's a pre-made fold on each side, and sew that edge to the apron across the entire length of the tube. The tube would naturally lay over the stitched edge because of the fold.

I could also make a tube with no edge sticking out, and sew the back of each end to the apron with a tiny bit of slack.

Any time I happen to need the blanket pin for something, I could just slide it out of the tube, then return it without too much trouble.

Guess I could pin the zebra to the tube too.

Just thinking about it.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…

davidg is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a few thoughts for what they're worth

Why not use a contrasting patch sewn onto the kilt such as tartan or a different colour canvas and attach the pin to that?

Failing that, there are some kilt pins with rings on the back designed so that the pin can be sewn on. Wallis-Hunter do this with most of their kilt pins but they are solid silver and fairly expensive. There may be others around though

A final thought is simply to close the clasp on the pin and sew a few threads under the face but around the pin itself and going through the canvas. A few stitches at the absolute top and absolute bottom should do the trick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davidg View Post
    Just a few thoughts for what they're worth

Why not use a contrasting patch sewn onto the kilt such as tartan or a different colour canvas and attach the pin to that?

Failing that, there are some kilt pins with rings on the back designed so that the pin can be sewn on. Wallis-Hunter do this with most of their kilt pins but they are solid silver and fairly expensive. There may be others around though

A final thought is simply to close the clasp on the pin and sew a few threads under the face but around the pin itself and going through the canvas. A few stitches at the absolute top and absolute bottom should do the trick
    Yes, that's basically what I am talking about doing with the bias fabric tape, though it matches the khaki color of my kilt. I did at one time pin a tartan swatch on the apron, then put a related pin on the swatch; however, I have since stopped wearing tartan, and that pin is a little too small for a kilt pin on it's own.

I think the blanket pin would look better if it appeared to be going through the fabric in some way, and that was the thinking behind the fabric tube.

I would sew the zebra pin on, but I would like to be able to switch pins from time to time. Guess I should come up with something for the smaller pin, too.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about putting a couple grommets in the apron? That would seem to fit with the contemporary aesthetic and would look interesting even without the pin...
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CMcG View Post
    What about putting a couple grommets in the apron? That would seem to fit with the contemporary aesthetic and would look interesting even without the pin...
    I'll have to look through my grommets to see if any are big enough to accept the blanket pin. I wouldn't put them directly through the apron, I'm trying to avoid putting holes in the apron; rather, I would put them through the bias tape, then sew the tape to the apron at each end. Interesting idea, though.

My zebra pin has a horizontal pin, and I wear it at a diagonal angle. I don't think grommets would work for that too well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast