X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DNA Genealogy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DNA Genealogy

Has anyone out there tried the DNA genealogy? If so what was your success/failure? My Clan has a thing set up with a company and I am teetering on doing it but I want to know I am not completely wasting money...I mean if its a waste I would rather put it toward another kilt
    [I]From my tribe I take nothing, I am the maker of my own fortune.[/I]-[B]Tecumseh[/B]
    [LEFT][B]FSA Scot
    North Carolina Commissioner for Clan Cochrane
    Sons of the American Revolution[/B][/LEFT]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: DNA Genealogy

Good question... I've been wondering similar things.
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My cousin did - and I got an email from him wondering why, if we were Scots, that his DNA said he was Scandanavian. Had to explain to him about Clan Donald, Sommerled, and Viking Scots. So, I guess it worked for my family.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THATS WHY all the vikings in the movie/cartoon How to Train Your Dragon had a Scottish accent! Now it all makes sense!

(I am joking of course. Cochran family was rumored to be a Viking who settled in Refrewshire, had lots of babies, and they went on to do a lot of military stuff. As a student of history/historian of course that is the abbreviated version.)int:
    [I]From my tribe I take nothing, I am the maker of my own fortune.[/I]-[B]Tecumseh[/B]
    [LEFT][B]FSA Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been researching my line through Family Tree DNA. They have the largest database, so you have the best chance of finding a match. I find it extremely fascinating, but I'm afraid not everyone will. I love that it is a science still in it's infancy, so new things are being discovered and you get to enjoy the excitement of it. But on the other hand it can be frustrating because you do have to wait while the science continues to develop. I've had little success with finding other branches of my tree to connect to. Most of the genetic matches I've had go back 400 years and earlier before the adoption of last names. I've found out that because I have the 159.2 gene, my family was part of the Lagin tribe of ancient Ireland 2000 years ago. My branch then jumped over to Scotland at some point. I find that fascinating, but it really is a crap shoot on what you will be able to find out. I'm obsessed with geneallogy, so it is worth it to me. You can always start with a 12 marker test and then upgrade if you want to. I've also had to really brush up on my science to to be able to wrap my mind around what all of the results mean.
    -Martin

"Cuimhnich air na daoine bhon tanaig thu"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Family Tree DNA is who I am thinking about using. Do you know if I get the 37 or 67 marker (I am leaning toward 67) if it shows you the detail you just spoke of...ie like your mentioning of the the Lagin tribe...or did you have to do that research after you received the results?
    [LEFT][B]FSA Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the test (37 marker) several years ago with Family Tree DNA and so far only have matches in the "probably related" category. I also joined my surname project so any closer matches there would be of interest.

I look at it in the long-term, until many people are tested the probability of a near match is small but non-zero.

So in terms of finding kin right now, not much happening. But the seed has been planted and who knows what may turn up - probably after I'm dead ! Oh course in my family finding relatives is a mixed blessing (grandpa seemed to be HIDING from them).

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did the testing with my Clan Society through Family Tree, also. I've had three hits in my clan with the same surname that we share a common ancestor. My Scottish ancestry originated from northern Ireland, the Irish Gaels. My distinct DNA is called 'Niall of the seven hostages". Interesting stuff!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mael,

I actually just read something about "Niall of the seven hostages". That is some really fascinating history! So you have had some decent luck with it...
    [LEFT][B]FSA Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mael Coluim View Post
    I did the testing with my Clan Society through Family Tree, also. I've had three hits in my clan with the same surname that we share a common ancestor. My Scottish ancestry originated from northern Ireland, the Irish Gaels. My distinct DNA is called 'Niall of the seven hostages". Interesting stuff!
    Think you're missing a couple of hostages

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast