X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Favorite Contemporary, Non-Traditional Apron Style?

Quote Originally Posted by Bugbear View Post
    Ok, I made a makeshift model of that apron I described with safety pins holding it all together. As far as I can tell, the box pleat does do what I was hoping. When I sit, the back part of the box falls down between my legs and wraps around the sides of my legs a little. The bottom of the fell, which is the last safety pin about where my legs meet, keeps everything together at that point, so it behaves a little bit as if I were wearing a pair of shorts. When I stand back up, the pleat closes, perhaps, in part, because of the fell pin.

The inside folds of the box pleat might dent through the front of the apron above the fell with a heavier fabric, and the edges would need to be stitched in. I am using a lighter-than-canvas length of cotton fabric, so things might behave differently with heavy canvas or some other material. I'm guessing the pleat will work somewhat the same , or with edge stitching, even better.

I am only playing with ideas, not intending to make a kilt: I don't have those skills.

* And I should add that I put a safety pin in each edge of the pleats at the very bottom to hold the crease just a little. It would be better with edge stitching.
    get a friend to help you the x-kilt directions could be modafided to fit this pattern easily its a vary strait forward designed with lots of room for modification kilt making is more of a mathematical formula then a pattern do you know any one that sews its at best a week end project but for some one that has never mad one it mite take a week i can do one in about 20 hr 40 for a tradtional kilt as long as the waist is the right with and you have aloted for the size of you hip then it sould fit you like a glove
    Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll keep that in mind, Damocles. Just playing around with ideas for now.

The seam would be visible down the center of the apron. A slit with attached box might be a way around it if that is a problem.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    So, has anyone purchased one of the new style Utilikilts with the two new apron styles - or should I say "lack of" apron? Difficult to tell what they looklike on the website.
    I gave it a look (and a laugh) and think it crosses the line between kilt and skirt. And it loses Utilikilts biggest advantage of being able to sit spread legged with foot over knee in public with the under apron pleats not able to spread and maintain coverage. Important to me with blood pooling issues in the calves. The apronless, yoke waisted, half length pleat design just dosent say kilt to me. I hope this is just a trial run and they keep focus on what they do best.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123