X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hackles?

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hackles?

I admit ignorance here.

I recently received hackles....black and white... as a gift. They thought they would look good in my balmoral. I thanked them but am really unsure how to wear them and what is proper. Do I just stick them in my cap and wear them or is there soem code I am to follow.

Any info is welcome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Hackles?

I think that this article give the best information -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hackle

As you will see, hackles are a military thing and not worn by civilians. Many in the US, will wear an item of military clothing to honour somebody. Here in the UK (which includes Scotland), we don't do that. If you wore it in Scotland, you might get funny looks and some might think it was dis-respectful.

Personally, I would not wear it.

Regards

Chas

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I might wear a small feather like you see in some regimental tams if I had a decidedly non-military badge over it. It would make a nice backer and a nod to the regiments at the same time for those who are in the know.

Trust me. In Oregon, no one will know or care about the origin. It will only be a feather in your cap so to speak.

I wouldn't wear such in Scotland for the reasons Chas mentioned, but, in the US, it won't mean a thing and few, if any, will ever think about it. If you like it, wear it.

Or, you could do like I do with my Black Watch tam and red hackle: put it on the shelf for a nice collectable.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thescot View Post
    you could do like I do with my Black Watch tam and red hackle: put it on the shelf for a nice collectable.
    I agree with the scot. I have my original issued Balmoral with a Lowland Brigade badge and a Red Rose to remember the the regiments part in the Battle of Minden. I also have my issued Glengarry with the KOSB badge where I have enhanced it with the Black Hackle of the Scots Borderers. Both are on display and I would never wear them with Civilian clothes,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a hackle that I wore when I was trying to get a more military look for our local color guard. I wore it briefly when I was trying to adapt a highland version of my fire department uniform. I still have it in a drawer somewhere, but have no reason to wear it now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I own one white hackle that I only wear when I'm attending S.A.M.S. functions.
    My opinion is that hackles are best left to the military and pipe bands.
    Commissioner of Clan Strachan, Central United States.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm trying to talk the drum line into hackles for an extra splash of color, I really like them.

I never thought to use the argument that this is one of the few times they'll get to wear one without risking a faux pas.

I also know what thescot is talking about, the really little ones peaking out the cockade. I've considered that for civvy wear, but think I'll just go safer routes of things to stick in my cockade.

Even if no one else notices, I wouldn't want to be disrespectful or appear presumptuous. I'd still care. But I guess that's up to each person.

Edit: I forgot to reiterate part of the original question I too wondered about. When I pop the one I already have in (4") I slightly shift the wire loop ever forward under the edge of the cockade so it isn't vertically sticking out under the badge like an appendage. Is this normal? What is the correct way to wear it anyway? I know it isn't rocket science and should be painfully obvious, but as long as we're on the subject, I thought I'd fish for some clarifications and/or corrections.
    Last edited by Donnachaidh Drumair; 20th January 12 at 07:54 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

P.S. I also have a Royal Highland Fusiliers tam and hackle I don't wear.

I have given thought to wearing one or the other for some special outing, but I never have. I stick with the small, blue feather as a badge backer which I've worn a time or two with a civiian badge over it.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hackles are nice for the Military or a pipe band uniform if you have to wear it. I have not seen a hackle that will maintain its color when wet. When I was in a Pipe & Drum unit, parade season and it started to rain. The whole unit ended up with nice pink stripes down the left side of their shirts.

I am not anti-hackle but, risk ruining a $50 uniform shirt for a bit of color- not worth it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have not seen a hackle that will maintain its color when wet.
    This shouldn't be a problem in Southern Arizona. ;-)

On the rare event there's moisture, we'll just take them out. Honestly though, good to know about that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast