X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Cameron Tartan

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Cameron Tartan

Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I would very much like to see the (reputedly) old authentic West Highland tartan which is said to "resemble" the Allen's ungainly Cameron design.
    I can't think which he ment.

In Setts Stewart states that the Lochiel design first appears in Smith (1850). Is it indeed in one of the Wilson pattern-books? Under what name? (Many of the early Wilson designs were known simply by number, or by fanciful names.)
    In Wilsons' 1819 KPB it's named Locheil. In the Cockburn Collection (1810-15) it's named Locheil Cameron but why is not exactly clear beyond the fact that historically the clan controlled the area and so it may have been adopted by some Camerons as 'their' tartan during the Regency era. There is no evidence for the design before about 1790 although there is a much older, similar design surviving - the subject of a forthcoming paper.[/QUOTE]

Were I a Cameron I would not hesitate to wear Erracht, an authentic 18th century tartan, instead of the four-stripe Allen creation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, in being new to this type of stuff, I just purchased a modern Cameron kilt. My ties to Cameron are Taylor on my mother's side. Would I be running afoul of the Chief's wishes by wearing it?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by westy1970 View Post
    So, in being new to this type of stuff, I just purchased a modern Cameron kilt. My ties to Cameron are Taylor on my mother's side. Would I be running afoul of the Chief's wishes by wearing it?
    As long as you are not wearing "Cameron of Lochiel" tartan you will, I am quite sure, be made very welcome at Achnacarry.

In truth if you were wearing the family tartan---Cameron of Lochiel----- you are technically doing nothing wrong-----just don't expect to get given a cup of tea by the Chief!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the clarification. Mine is the regular "modern" and I doubt I will be in his presence anytime soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, so much info. Of interest to me, too, as my Grandmother was also a Cameron and being new to wearing a kilt have had the same questions. What I gather is this:

No on the Lochiel--that's for the chief and I respect that.
    Yes on Erracht--it's more military then Cameron, I'm a Vietnam era Veteran, so I can subscribe to that. I also do Civil War Re-enacting, so that also fits.

I like the common Red and Black--as an avid bowhunter, I will think of Fred Bear and his red and black checkered coat.

The pictures of the Cameron (Hunting) also look nice.

All that being considered, I'll play it safe and go with USA Kilts "American Heritage".

Jackson
    I hold the truth in such high regard, I use it sparingly!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although my Scottish ancestors came to the "colonies" in the early 1700's they came as Chambers (and supporters of good King William) and I have found no reference to Cameron family connection, the lists say I'm a Clan Cameron member and so if my chief has an opinion I will respect it.

I've worn a Cameron of Eracht tank for close to 35 years, and if I can convince the wife I'll have a Hunting Cameron (Ancient) before the end of next year. While the geneological aspects of clan stuff I'll take or leave, sometimes it's best to follow the unwriten "rules" to be safe. Besides the referenced tartans I really like.

I'm suprised that no one has made a Kilt Kops reference decrying the "you shouldn't wear this, can't wear that" aspect of the thread. Not that I disagree, I feel that you look better if you follow established pattern and not jump on the free spirit bandwagon. And I believe that a kilted man looks best in proper Scottish attire, properly worn. But that is just my opinion, just wonder why no one had mentioned it.

Anyway, I'll never change the world so I'll say Merry Christmas to all the Rabble and have a Happy New Year.

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eagle43172 View Post
    I've worn a Cameron of Eracht tank for close to 35 years, and if I can convince the wife I'll have a Hunting Cameron (Ancient) before the end of next year.
    Best of luck, I look forward to seeing you sporting your new kilt

Though not a Cameron myself, I've always had a fond spot in my heart for the Cameron clan. Not only is a good friend of mine the commissioner for Clan Cameron up north here, but they share more than a bit of history with my own Macdonells of Keppoch, including the Battle of Mulroy (4th August 1688) where the Camerons (of Glen Nevis) joined my Keppoch kinfolk in victory over the Mackintoshes (and their followers the MacGillivrays) who, with government backing, were given a commission of fire and sword by the Privy Council against Macdonell of Keppoch. Fun stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by eagle43172 View Post
    Anyway, I'll never change the world so I'll say Merry Christmas to all the Rabble and have a Happy New Year.
    And to you & yours "Nollaig chridheil huibh!"
    Last edited by BoldHighlander; 20th December 11 at 01:05 AM.
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BoldHighlander View Post
    Best of luck, I look forward to seeing you sporting your new kilt

Though not a Cameron myself, I've always had a fond spot in my heart for the Cameron clan. Not only is a good friend of mine the commissioner for Clan Cameron up north here, but they share more than a bit of history with my own Macdonells of Keppoch, including the Battle of Mulroy (4th August 1688) where the Camerons (of Glen Nevis) joined my Keppoch kinfolk in victory over the Mackintoshes (and their followers the MacGillivrays) who, with government backing, were given a commission of fire and sword by the Privy Council against Macdonell of Keppoch. Fun stuff!

And to you & yours "Nollaig chridheil huibh!"
    Us Macphersons think very highly of the Camerons as well. Though there have been several feuds and a few skirmishes between the Camerons and Macphersons (mainly over land disputes in lower Badenoch towards Lochaber), we have definitely formed a unique friendship and bond throughout the past several centuries - especially during the Jacobite uprisings of the 18th-century. Lochiel and Cluny have formed a rather 'tight-knit' union.

Cheers,

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456