X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Huge Thumbs up for Stillwater Kilts

This past summer, the decision was made to kilt more and not beat up the superb custom Angus Harvey which has been in the closet for 8 years.

Accordingly, a number of kilt suppliers were looked at in more or less detail. Ultimately, one each:

Stillwater Thrifty Kilt in Gordon
    Stillwater Economy Kilt in Black
    Stillwater Standard Kilt in Black Watch

were ordered and arrived, a total of about $156 US. For three kilts. Repeat, for three kilts.

You may chosse to say here, "Wholly phock!" and continue reading.

This summer, especially the Thrifty was used heavily around the house, in place of shorts. Costing only what a pair of cargo shorts does, there was no fear of getting pizza, beer, lawnmower clippings, dog butt juice, grille splatter, soft serve ice cream or rhinocerous snot on it. Or more beer. The light weight and velcro closures made for an ideal cheap, light, super-comfy garment, with a tee or polo and usually barefoot. Or with ancient hippie-days truck-tire-sole sandals.

The Economy is a bargain for the price and has a good feel to it, for about $52 or so.

The Standard is quite acceptable for casual kilting among the great lowing unwashed double-digit IQ texting hordes, as real wool and high quality are concepts largely beyond their ken.

Yes, they are acrylic. Yes, they are made in Pakistan. Yes, they are cheap. No, they are not "real," "authentic," "quality," "proper."

Agreed. Let "So what?" be added, here.

Personally 'see them as the "fast food" of kilts. Extremely useful when that is what you want and know precisely what you are getting for your silver shekels, copper drachmas and iron rils. We are not talking gold grickels, here.

Thumbs up, highest recommendation for Stillwater's Thrifty, Economy and Standard. And their service, attitude and delivery is beyond splendid.

Beat that!

As a pal said, decades ago, "The only two honest watches in the world are Timex and Rolex, because in each instance, you know precisely what you are paying for and receiving."

BTW, this testimony is ABOLUTELY UNSOLICITED, meant only as giving credit where it is properly due.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Huge Thumbs up for Stillwater Kilts

I do like my weathered MaxKenzie casual as a pub, movie or relaxed gathering kilt. Fits nice and looks great
    "Greater understanding properly leads to an increasing sense of responsibility, and not to arrogance."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn thumb typing. Weathered Mackenzie standard kilt
    "Greater understanding properly leads to an increasing sense of responsibility, and not to arrogance."

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And sitting here keying this message at 2342 on the clock, old green safari shirt untucked over Stillwater Black Economy, 'am comfy, kilted and ultra-casual.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been very pleased with the service and merchandise from Stillwater. I wish I could get everything from them and The Scottish Tartans Museum.
    Scotland is only 1/5 the size of Montana, but Scotland has over 3,000 castles and Montana has none.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The things I like best about STillwater are:

1. They are very fast shipping
    2. They are very customer oriented and know how to make you want to do business with them
    3. They tell what they are, what they sell, and they do not surprise you with a gotcha when you get the actual product.

I especially liek #3, and I will always buy from SWK if they have a product I need.

Like my grandson's new kilt which arrived last week . . . in about 3 days from time of order . . . and looks better than I expected.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thescot View Post
    The things I like best about STillwater are:

1. They are very fast shipping
    2. They are very customer oriented and know how to make you want to do business with them
    3. They tell what they are, what they sell, and they do not surprise you with a gotcha when you get the actual product.

I especially liek #3, and I will always buy from SWK if they have a product I need.
    I agree with all of that.

I'm getting ready for my fall martial-arts training trip to Japan. Not staying at my usual ryokan in Noda but a little further out in Kashiwa with good opportunities for some extracurricular socializing. So in addition to kilt and Harris tweed Argyle & waistcoat for my teacher's 80th-birthday party, I'm planning to take another for the aforementioned extracurricular socializing at the ends of the training days.

For the former (birthday party), I'm thinking my handsewn Douglas Modern from Matt Newsome. For the latter, I'm leaning strongly toward the "almost Leatherneck" (sett was woven VERY slightly rectangular rather than square) wool "heavyweight" I got from Stillwater for about a hundred bucks.

Yes, Jerry had reduced the already-low price because the sett was incrementally off. . .to a degree most Marines familiar with it would never notice (that includes me).
    "It's all the same to me, war or peace,
    I'm killed in the war or hung during peace."