X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Likes and Thanks?

Quote Originally Posted by CMcG View Post
    I think it would be an improvement to the functionality of the forum to allow a different way of interacting. Sometimes I would prefer to simply "like" or "thank" someone without creating a post that doesn't really contribute to the thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had to make a post to choose the rating, but I'm probably just missing something or another on the screne.
    * I figured it out, never mind.
    Last edited by Bugbear; 5th November 11 at 11:02 AM.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

CopperNGold is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sometimes wonder if the 'likes' and 'thanks' buttons take away from developing interpersonal relationships and the give and take of communication. I like the fact that people on XMarks take the time to say a quick thank you or tell a poster that they liked what they had written.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that it would be a nice addition, but as I understand it from Steve's posts in other threads, the forum has already been modified as much as it can be. Maybe something has changed since then. Since I don't know this for certain, I'll wait for him to chime in since I can't speak on his behalf.

I often wish to just say "Thanks" or "Same here" or "What he said," but opt out because I have nothing else to contribute. Sometimes I just go ahead and post a quick "***" or something else that would be well summed up with a click of an appropriate button, but it depends on time, mood, etc. I'd like to have the option to post that same content without actually adding to the length of the thread. In some threads a lot of short comments of the "That's cool!" variety fit the mood and type of thread, such as showing off a new jacket or something DIY. In others, questions and comments that contribute something to a deeper and/or more dynamic conversation have to be plucked from a sea of comments that could be well summed up with a single mouse click.

If someone wanted to actually write "Thank You" in place of or in addition to hitting the "Thanks" or "Like" buttons they certainly could. I see this on Facebook when someone gets a bunch of "Happy Birthdays." Some will simply "Like" all of the posts, some will reply to each one, some just post a general Thank You that night or the next day. It's not limiting--it gives options when one wants to acknowledge a posts content.

I would ask for a "***" or "Ditto" button as well.

If any this can be implemented, it would certainly get my vote!
    The grass is greener on the other side of the fence...and it's usually greenest right above the septic tank.
    Allen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A good idea. It would probably stop one of my pet forum peeves. That is when someone posts a long post that takes up half my screen and the next poster quotes the first (thereby taking up the other half of my screen) just to say "I agree". Why the half screen quote just to add 1 line?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BCAC View Post
    A good idea. It would probably stop one of my pet forum peeves. That is when someone posts a long post that takes up half my screen and the next poster quotes the first (thereby taking up the other half of my screen) just to say "I agree". Why the half screen quote just to add 1 line?
    I agree. (I couldn't resist. Sorry) But that is a very good point!
    The grass is greener on the other side of the fence...and it's usually greenest right above the septic tank.
    Allen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12