X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Surprise with the US Air Force Reserve Pipe Band Tartan

Barb: Well then, I have to say it again. I do not think there is any problem, question, mystery, etc.

If one wants the USAF RPB Tartan, ask the weaver to weave it from the Registries.

If one wants the US Air Force (Not Official) tartan, then buy it from Strathmore, or ask a custom weaver, like Dalgliesh to weave it, assuming they can get permission from Sthrathmore to do so.

And, of course, get a swatch to make sure it is correct.

John
    I changed my signature. The old one was too ridiculous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seanachie View Post
    Barb:
    You are not losing your mind at all, I have followed this closely. It was a while back but I remember reviewing the pics of Carolyn's tartan when I had my misadventure. I have since deleted but in one of the emails I received saying I had the wrong tartan I received a pic that matched it exactly. The tartan you received on a client's behalf was the first time I had seen that sett. Thanks for your input into this. I think I am about to give up on the idea of getting an AF tartan kilt, it seems so much easier for the other services.
    Seanachie -
    Gee, I'd hate to see you give up on wearing an Air Force Tartan. Frankly, both the Strathmore USAF-Not Official and the USAFR PB tartans are beautiful in their own right. As there is no "official" USAF tartan, get the one that pleases you most. Of course, if you want the Strathmore tartan, the trick will be getting it in 16 oz (if that's what you want). On the other hand, if you want the Strathmore tartan in 11 0z, then you're home free. I actually own both tartans: a shirt in the USAF-Not Official and the kilt that has been under discussion here in the USAFR PB. When folks ask me what tartan I'm wearing, I simply say, "USAF". I am proud to have served our nation for 20 years in the USAF, and I am proud to wear any tartan that symbolizes the USAF. So, IMHO, go ahead and get your kilt, and enjoy. Of course, if you do, then you'll have to decide which insignia you wish to use on accessories: the modern logo, or the traditional seal... the choices just go on and on. So choose what you like best and go for it.
    Aim high!
    Mark Stephenson
    Region 5 Commissioner (OH, MI, IN, IL, WI, MN, IA, KY), Clan MacTavish USA
    Cincinnati, OH
    [I]Be alert - the world needs more lerts[/I]

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stephenson View Post
    Seanachie -
    Gee, I'd hate to see you give up on wearing an Air Force Tartan. Frankly, both the Strathmore USAF-Not Official and the USAFR PB tartans are beautiful in their own right. As there is no "official" USAF tartan, get the one that pleases you most. Of course, if you want the Strathmore tartan, the trick will be getting it in 16 oz (if that's what you want). On the other hand, if you want the Strathmore tartan in 11 0z, then you're home free. I actually own both tartans: a shirt in the USAF-Not Official and the kilt that has been under discussion here in the USAFR PB. When folks ask me what tartan I'm wearing, I simply say, "USAF". I am proud to have served our nation for 20 years in the USAF, and I am proud to wear any tartan that symbolizes the USAF. So, IMHO, go ahead and get your kilt, and enjoy. Of course, if you do, then you'll have to decide which insignia you wish to use on accessories: the modern logo, or the traditional seal... the choices just go on and on. So choose what you like best and go for it.
    Aim high!
    There is also another option; the original USAF Pipes & Drums (which was disbanded in the early 1970s) wore the "Mitchell" tartan, as I document in my article on the STM web site about the tartans of the USAF.

This post is proof positive of my theory that the USAFR PB tartan has become the de facto USAF tartan, regardless if the wearer was a Regular, Reservist or Air Guardsman.

T.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seanachie -
    Aim high!
    Mark:
    My remarks were somewhat tongue in cheek. Taking the Leatherneck tartan as an example, it seems a much more straightforward proposition. No special runs for 16 oz tartan either. I would have no real decision on the insignia, I would go with the SAC crest. I really enjoyed SAC and of course it is no more.
    Eventually I will add an AF tartan to my collection.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cajunscot View Post
    There is also another option; the original USAF Pipes & Drums (which was disbanded in the early 1970s) wore the "Mitchell" tartan, as I document in my article on the STM web site about the tartans of the USAF.

This post is proof positive of my theory that the USAFR PB tartan has become the de facto USAF tartan, regardless if the wearer was a Regular, Reservist or Air Guardsman.

T.
    Todd,
    Would you consider writing an article for the Scottish American Military Society (SAMS) quarterly newsletter that gave the history of the "USAF" tartan?
    Cheers!
    - Mark
    Mark Stephenson
    Region 5 Commissioner (OH, MI, IN, IL, WI, MN, IA, KY), Clan MacTavish USA
    Cincinnati, OH
    [I]Be alert - the world needs more lerts[/I]

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Todd,
    Would you consider writing an article for the Scottish American Military Society (SAMS) quarterly newsletter that gave the history of the "USAF" tartan?
    Cheers!
    - Mark
    Mark,

I aready have written the article:

http://scottishtartans.org/USAF.htm

If STM is all right with it, I would be happy to submit it to SAMS for possible publication, as well as my article on the VA-46 "Clansmen", a USN A-4 suqadron that adopted a tartan as its emblem.

T.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456