X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Do kilts have a "break-in" period?

Quote Originally Posted by mookien View Post
    Steve: What an absolutely splendid example of illustrated, forensic deconstruction/reconstruction!

Thank you for sharing it with us in such a dramatic and easy-to-understand fashion. You obviously spent a lot of time, and went to a lot of trouble to produce it. I appreciate it, and know many other folks do, too.

This is the most interesting, informative, and "fun" thread I have yet to read on XMTS. Very well done!

------------------------

Tobus: You now own what I think will become a piece of American, kilt-making lore. I know you will treasure it. Your kilt may have been an heirloom before, but now I think it is not an exaggeration to say that it will become a legend - the kilt that Steve Ashton brought back to life in plain view.

John
    Ditto!
    "Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days." Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hedcase View Post
    Hands down, this was the coolest, most informative thread I have ever read on this or any other forum. Outstanding!
    Same for me. I'm kinda sorry it's over.
    I'm just trying to be the person my dog thinks I am.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crash, If you want further pictorial threads like this I have an entire shop full of older Regimental kilts that are in for repair.
    Some are labelled as made in Scotland by some of the most respected names of the '60's and 70's.

Some of these kilts are litarally falling apart but the Regiment wants them fixed.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    Crash, If you want further pictorial threads like this I have an entire shop full of older Regimental kilts that are in for repair.
    Some are labelled as made in Scotland by some of the most respected names of the '60's and 70's.

Some of these kilts are litarally falling apart but the Regiment wants them fixed.
    That would be great and very appreciated... Please do.

Henry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post

Please do. It would be great to see the inside and details of different makers

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    Same for me. I'm kinda sorry it's over.
    Speak for yourself! I'm glad it's over, because now I have my kilt back.

I'd like to say once again that I very much appreciate all the advice and information in this thread. My original question, based on a lack of knowledge about the finer points of kilt construction, led to the sharing of good information, discovery of a real problem, and a satisfactory resolution.

I really think this thread needs to be pinned to the top of this forum (or maybe the Professional Kiltmakers Hints and Tips forum) for posterity. Maybe a sanitized version with just the technical posts by Steve? Or perhaps maybe Steve could condense his technical posts into a new thread and post it as an informative tutorial by itself? I dunno. I'd just hate for the great information and photos here to end up "lost" as the thread drifts further and further back into the archives.

That's Steve's decision, of course. But technical posts like the ones he made here are the type of invaluable information that make this board the premier forum for talking about kilts.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tobus,

There is still one post to this thread that is just crying out to be made.

Does the kilt fit and does it still seem to change size?

Is your original problem resolved?
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mr. Ashton, this thread has been well beyond fascinating, and I wanted to thank you for documenting the process so fully and sharing it with us. I feel like I have a much increased understanding of kilt construction, now!

EDIT: And I second the call for pictoral proof!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great story and photos. It prompted me to study my cheapest kilt, a now ancient $60 (with postage) Pakistan made 8 yd acrylic claimed 16 oz (obviously less) It is now only worn around house and garage as I have better but remains my most comfortable kilt. It stretched 1" initially, no big deal, I used a different hole in its straps. Not a thread has ever pulled, it is abused in the garage and machine washed. It holds pleats and does not crease unlike most working ones. Its cotton lining is long gone exposing construction. It is high rise, has good shape but no cut pleats, excessive bulk or internal webbing so is very cheaply made. It has three straps and 23 pleats whose stitching carries all waistline loads like the kilt featured. It is proof that webbing around the waist is not essential but I believe it is a very good idea as some expensive kilt pleat sewing leaves much to be desired so anything that reduces loads on it is desirable. Webbing also largely eliminates stretching, but does involve extra work hence cost.

Bill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this thread reminds me a lot of the sort of thing i researched several years ago when i changed jobs and needed wardrobe upgrades on a budget. i learned about canvas/half canvas, etc jackets, brands/label colors/different years. like wine or cars--even when you look at the same vineyard or model, some periods are better than others. budget conscious/more likely mass produced means making the best bet, while hand made/custom items are the guarantee.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast