X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Do kilts have a "break-in" period?

Steve, your photos and description are absolutely fantastic!!!! On top of that, I'm so thankful to see some of your construction techniques. I really like your method of stitching the stabilizer and the way you tucked and stitched the interfacing in the center of the back. This thread is so educational and helpful. What a great forum!! Thank you!
    Bonnie Heather Greene, Kiltmaker and Artist
    Traditional hand stitched kilts, kilt alterations, kilt-skirts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This has been quite informative! I hope it's given a sticky! Very fascinating!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have reread several times. It is a great education in what to look for in a good kilt. Eventually, I hope to be able to afford and justify a good kilt from on of the great kilt makers who have commented throughout.

In the mean time, after reading an old post about someone adding the stabilizer to a kilt made initially without one, I thought that may be the way to spend the evening watching television, by attempting to add the interfacing and the stabilizer.

Any additional words of wisdom, or warning...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post

In true Engineer style I of course overbuild them when I do the repairs.

If you can fix that, you TRULY deserve the title "Wizard".

BTW: I'm a big believer in the school of thought that says you can never overbuild something. Building to "tolerance" is an accident waiting to happen, since life frequently exceeds expected tolerances.

ith:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Bonnie,
    Thank you for your comments.

I'm not a traditional kiltmaker but I do play one on TV.

Many of my methods and things I do would be considered overkill by most traditional Kiltmakers. I understand that, but I sort of had to develop this because I am currently working of the repair of the kilts for The Canadian Scottish Regiment.

The Regiment has many kilts. Some are made by some of the most respected names in the kilt world. Many are actual Regimental Kiltmakers.

These kilts are owned by the Regiment. They are kept in quartermaster stores and issued to new troops as needed. The troops are supposed to take care of these as they would any other uniform item.

However, these kilts take quite a bit of abuse. It is not uncommon for them to show up at my shop like this.........

The kilt in this picture is an 'official' kilt with the broad arrowhead stamp and everything.

But as you can see the abuse they are subject to is simply more than the construction can handle.

When I repair one of these I really want my work to last. So in true engineer fashion I over build them.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Steve... Now I know why you are called "The Wizard"! This sad kilt is lucky to be in your way-more-than-competent hands to be brought back to life. I really respect that you overbuild kilts. That's a good thing!!

I've had the privilege of working on some old military kilts and lots of regular kilts needing repairs and/or alterations, but this one is really extreme. On the other hand, there are many times that I purposely took the pleats apart in order to enlarge a kilt when there wasn't enough fabric in the apron and deep pleats. So, It's not too shocking to see pleats undone. But this kilt must have really been through a lot of trauma to come apart this much.

One thing that's a surprise to see is that the top band is in such excellent condition. The green wool twill tape looks like it hasn't worn away at all. Or maybe it was replaced at some point?
    Bonnie Heather Greene, Kiltmaker and Artist
    Traditional hand stitched kilts, kilt alterations, kilt-skirts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen View Post
    I have reread several times. It is a great education in what to look for in a good kilt. Eventually, I hope to be able to afford and justify a good kilt from on of the great kilt makers who have commented throughout.

In the mean time, after reading an old post about someone adding the stabilizer to a kilt made initially without one, I thought that may be the way to spend the evening watching television, by attempting to add the interfacing and the stabilizer.

Any additional words of wisdom, or warning...

Well, I added a stabilizer and interfacing to SWK wool economy. Although not the best of work, I learned a lot, and I am very surprised how much better the kilt feels and wears.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678