X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bow Ties

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Bow Ties

Quote Originally Posted by RAF View Post
    The most curious thing anyone ever said to me about a bow tie came from a co-worker at an old job many years ago. She was from Ireland and she said "it's said that you shouldn't trust a man who wears a 'dickie bow'."
    Generally accepted thought on evaluating potential jurors is that a man with a bow tie is an independent thinker who doesn't care about what others think. If your case is strong, pick them..... if you are trying for reasonable doubt, give them a pass.

PS - I am NOT an attorney and did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express. Just passing along what I was told...........
    Doug
    Clan Ogilvie; AF&AM/Scottish Rite/York Rite/Shriner; Charleston Scottish Society; Brotherhood of the Isle of Skye; Matt Newsome Kilt Owners Group

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First, this:

I own two self-tie bow ties, one black for formal wear, and another that is a soft loden green shade with little blue and white designs that if you squint just right, you might believe are saltires. :-)

I reserve the black one for formal wear, but I wear the green one from time to time, generally on Sundays. I treat it just like one of my many neck ties, just another tie in the rotation. I always get compliments when I wear it.

I would own more, but generally when I see a good self-tie bow tie in the store the price tag is more than I care to spend.

I also own two pre-tied bow ties, one black and one tartan, but I never wear those.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wear bow ties to work at least one a week, it breaks up the monotony and gives a different look to your suits. I feel all men should know how to tie a variety of knots in all ties, it a must. ( not to mention it does seem to draw the ladies, something about an air confidence and freedom of expression)
    Be civil to all; sociable to many; familiar with few; friend to one; enemy to none. Benjamin Franklin
    Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear. Mark Twain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am hoping to let my beard grow past the stage where it will completely hide a bow tie. I think bow ties are currently considered very hip, though i would not be a reliable source of knowledge there.

For people who have trouble tying one, I recommend practicing tying it on your knee. Half of the battle is knowing how it is supposed to look- with one 'loop' and one 'tab' showing. After that, it is the same knot as tying one's shoes.

It takes a lot of wearing to wear out a bow tie, but whiskers will hasten the process. Lately, I take pride in having outlasted a garment that has been with me for decades.
    Some take the high road and some take the low road. Who's in the gutter? MacLowlife

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I first moved to the south and was setting up my company, my lawyer (who called himself "a son of the south") wore a bow tie. I asked him to show me how it was tied. It seemed easy enough, but yes, I noticed a lot of bow ties seemed to be quite pricey. I found a company in Boston that sells bow ties for about $39, which was about half what I had been seeing. I now have 3 or 4...but did I remember how to tie them? No. Thank goodness for youtube videos.

Now bow ties are like kilts...every day is a good day to wear one. Sometimes both at the same time!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wore a yellow foulard pattern bow tie with a blue and white striped shirt and a grey Prince of Wales check suit to church this morning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no reason to pay high prices for bow ties. Dillards is featuring them now and the price is in the $30 range. Nordstrom's Rack has loads of them for around $17 and I have even bought several there for under $9 when they had a special. Does wearing a kilt make you frugal?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
    That's a shame, Henry. Like Mael Coluim, I see no reason to limit oneself to long ties when wearing a kilt. It may make you seem a bit eccentric, but you're already wearing something a bit out of the ordinary!
    I picked the long tie because it is the same yellow as the stripe in the MacQueen tartan so it picked up the accent color nicely. Of the dozen or so bow ties that I own the only yellow one I have has blue monkeys on it and that did not seem appropriate for the occasion. I just need more bow ties that match my kilt!

Peace
    Henry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of my most recent bowties comes from The Tie Bar and I believe it cost me just about $15.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I second NewEnglander - tiebar has tons of lovely bows. I find some of their long ties have a bit too stiff an interlining sometimes, much as I love them, but not so much the bows - and when they are stiffer, it actually helps tie the thing up neater.
    As to acceptability - it may be fashionable at the moment, but bowties will never be quite mainstream. If you can pull it off, have fun! I'm only 28 so I was a bit nervous when I started wearing bowties, but as with a kilt, if you act like it's perfectly normal for you to be dressed that way, things tend to go well. True, some guy scared the bejesus out of my wife the other night because he thought the appropriate response to my neckwear was to scream, "Hey, Pee Wee Herman!". But... pretty sure he was a vagrant and not so well in the head, either.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast