X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Gathering 2014 – Upcoming Event News

Just received information from e-mail of the Panalba newsletter of definite confirmation of the follow up to 2009's Homecoming with an international clan gathering to take place in Stirling in 2014, alongside the 700 years celebration of the Battle of Bannockburn which is adjacent to the city of Stirling. Further details to be revealed later
    Last edited by Mael Coluim; 9th March 12 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Common titles for two threads merge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Clan Gathering 2014

Looking forward to more news - must try to make it!
    Martin.
    AKA - The Scouter in a Kilt.
    Proud, but homesick, son of Skye.
    Member of the Clan MacLeod Society (Scotland)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We'll be there for sure!

Cheers,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by creagdhubh View Post
    We'll be there for sure!

Cheers,
    Same here, looking forward to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Happy St Andrew's Day to all of you.

Throughout the world, St Andrew's Societies will be hosting a variety of events to celebrate their Scottish heritage. What will feature at all these events is the Saltire, otherwise known as the cross of Saint Andrew. Panalba is featuring an article on how St Andrew became the Patron saint of Scotland , and why his cross is so strongly associated with the Saltire, one of the oldest national flags in existence today. Roddy Martine's blog will bring you up to date with some of the activities taking place in Scotland.

IMPORTANT NEWS FLASH
    I can confirm that plans are afoot to host another International Clan Gathering in Stirling in early July 2014 as part of the 2nd Year of Homecoming. It is too early to provide any detail, but rest assured that Panalba will be keeping you up to date. As you can imagine there will be a lot to report as we get closer to 2014, but in the interim we will keep you abreast of any relevant developments.

Stirling sits right in the middle of Scotland and through its combination of road and rail provides easy access to the rest of the country. The centrepiece of Stirling is its magnificent castle, recently renovated to capture the spirit of 16th century Scotland. No trip to Scotland could be considered complete without a visit to this historical landmark.

As if that was not enough, the country will be celebrating the 700th anniversary of the battle of Bannockburn, a decisive battle that forged the nation of Scotland. The National Trust of Scotland will be commemorating the battle with a series of events and a brand new visitor centre.

All this is but part of a greater Homecoming programme. Glasgow will be hosting the Commonwealth Games and Gleneagles will be hosting the Ryder cup . Not all at the same time, of course, but close enough to seriously consider renting a house and spending all summer in Scotland!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There will indeed be a Homecoming Event in Stirling in 2014.
    Also the seven hundredth anniversary of the Battle of Bannockburn, 1314.
    Also the five hundredth anniversary of the Battle of Hornshole 1514.
    Also the Commonwealth Games 2014 being held in Glasgow.
    Celebrations all over Scotland, start planning your visit.

I must admit that alarm bells were ringing in my head when you mentioned Panalba as this is the website run by Jamie Sempill who is still out of favour here in Scotland after reneging on the agreements to pay the Scottish performers and tradesmen who made the Edinburgh Gathering 2009 so enjoyable for our overseas visitors, and I had read that he was keen for there to be another clan gathering in Stirling in 2014 but that Stirling Council wanted to distance themselves from the idea of a clan gathering after the bad taste left among Scots by the 2009 event in Edinburgh.

I took a look at Panalba website today and it does mention that there will be a 2014 Clan Convention organised by the Standing Council of Scottish Chiefs.
    Many of you will recall the previous Clan Convention organised by them to co-incide with the 2009 Edinburgh Gathering. Panalba also mentions other events such as a proposed Bannockburn re-enactment and the new heritage centre at Bannockburn and the recent developments at Stirling Castle, and then goes on to say
    These recent announcements have also created a change of plan with Panalba.com
    One can only wait and see!
    Last edited by cessna152towser; 29th November 11 at 06:59 AM.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome! Great reason to talk my wife into another trip to Scotland. (Of course, I'll need to get another kilt)
    Scotland is only 1/5 the size of Montana, but Scotland has over 3,000 castles and Montana has none.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Ryder Cup will be in Scotland in 2014 also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is my hope and dream to make it to the British Isles in 2014, Lord willing.
    [-[COLOR="DimGray"]Floreat Majestas[/COLOR]-|-[COLOR="Red"]Semper Vigilans[/COLOR]-|-[COLOR="Navy"]Aut Pax Aut Bellum[/COLOR]-|-[I][B]Go mbeannai Dia duit[/B][/I]-]
    [COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."[/SIZE][/COLOR] [B]- John Calvin[/B]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, if you are planning to attend... better book now because in addition to the Bannockburn stuff, the Home Coming, and the Ryder Cup, the UK is also hosting the summer Olympics... Expect room rates to skyrocket, a shortage of rental cars, and air fare to be, sorry, sky high.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast