X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A grant in honor and matriculation

I have just collected all certified marriage and birth docs to petion the Lord Lyon for a grant in memory of my Scottish born great grandfather and to matriculate them for myself. Can I do this all at the same time or do I need to get the first grant done and then reapply when that's complete? They don't specify the logistics of that from what I've seen and that would take upwards of 2 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: A grant in honor and matriculation

My understanding, is that you can do them both at the same time. Otherwise you would have two documents (the grant & the matriculation), which would be twice the price.

When it comes to the artwork stage, you don't have to have the Lord Lyon's painter; there are others. The standard artwork can leave a lot to be desired. John Duncan of Sketraw (a member here) won't display his grant, because it is so badly done. You can see where they painted the shield incorrectly and then touched it up to make it right.

John will be able to give you better advice, PM me if you want his email address.

Regards

Chas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you visited the official website of the Lord Lyon? They have numerous, helpful documents, to include sample (template) petitions/proofs to help guide those who are interested in petitioning for a grant of arms. A word of advice, be certain to have (the pertinent documents) precisely what the Lyon Court asks, and format everything just as it is shown on the Lord Lyon website. Better yet, you could actually contact the Lyon Clerk and ask for assistance. They have all of the detailed contact information on their website. Doing such, may prevent possible delays and headaches in the future.

Good luck!
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 29th November 11 at 01:22 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been on their site and saw the samples. They state the cost of the grant and the matriculation as separate amounts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluescelt View Post
    I have just collected all certified marriage and birth docs to petion the Lord Lyon for a grant in memory of my Scottish born great grandfather and to matriculate them for myself. Can I do this all at the same time or do I need to get the first grant done and then reapply when that's complete? They don't specify the logistics of that from what I've seen and that would take upwards of 2 years.
    One may petition for both in the same prayer. For example, here is the text:

MAY IT THEREFORE please your Lordship to Authorise the Lyon Clerk to prepare Letters Patent granting unto the Petitioner's said great great grandfather and his descendants such Ensigns Armorial as your Lordship may find suitable and according to the Laws of Arms, and may it further please Your Lordship to Grant Warrant to Lyon Clerk to matriculate of new in the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland in name of the Petitioner the foresaid Ensigns Armorial with a suitable difference.

AND your Petitioner will ever pray.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you checked with Lyon Clerk about the Exchequer Fees for a combined grant/matriculation? There always was a "special" price for this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    My understanding, is that you can do them both at the same time. Otherwise you would have two documents (the grant & the matriculation), which would be twice the price.

When it comes to the artwork stage, you don't have to have the Lord Lyon's painter; there are others. The standard artwork can leave a lot to be desired. John Duncan of Sketraw (a member here) won't display his grant, because it is so badly done. You can see where they painted the shield incorrectly and then touched it up to make it right.

John will be able to give you better advice, PM me if you want his email address.

Regards

Chas
    One has certain leeway in the selection of Court Painter, but it might add significant time to the process.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluescelt View Post
    If you have not yet been in contact with Lyon Clerk, I would suggest you do so before petitioning. She will make the whole process go much smoother and will answer all the questions you might have.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. I will do that.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please do keep us posted on the process. I'd very much like to persue this as well, but first I must return to my genealogy research before proceeding.
    His Exalted Highness Duke Standard the Pertinacious of Chalmondley by St Peasoup
    Member Order of the Dandelion
    Per Electum - Non consanguinitam

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast