X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Cologne, Aftershave, Eau de Toilette, Eau de Parfum, etc.

Azzaro. Expensive, but use very, very little. Never Old Spice - far too powerful, especially for those who can't handle scents.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I shower with Irish Spring soft soap and use Jovan's Ginsing as a colone. I am very aware that body chemistry affects scented products and this is the best match for me.

Larry Dirr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweat. Not three-day old sweat, this afternoons sweat is just fine.
    ...woodsmoke, when I'm backpacking. I actually rather like that.

Its that, or soap. Irish spring.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife does Mary Kay and for the past many years I've worn Velocity almost exclusively. Good clean scent without being overpowering. The ladies seem to like it too
    His Exalted Highness Duke Standard the Pertinacious of Chalmondley by St Peasoup
    Member Order of the Dandelion
    Per Electum - Non consanguinitam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I go as scent free as possible when I'm in the woods. There are lots of good smells that I don't want to miss there. Also, use scent free, scent eliminating products when hunting. OTOH, for daily stuff around town and at work I have scented oil that I've been working on with my herbalist. We have been developing an earthy blend of sage, amber, patchouli, and oak moss, among some additional scent notes. It's almost at the point of finished product for my personal taste. I am a firm believer in moderation as I have my own allergies and respect other's sensitivity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm very sensitive to most petro-chemicals. I have found a few antiperspirants that don't break me out and a few body washes that I can tolerate but mostly what you smell is a clean me...nothing extra.

Rondo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rondo, do you have a Vitamin Cottage or Whole Foods store nearby? Probably any health food store would carry the asian style deordant stones. It is a product made from various salts that when applied to underarms prevents bacteria growth, the thing that causes odor. I just bought a new one, brand = Lafes Natural and Organic deodorant stone. It claims to be hypoallergenic. Www.Lafes.com The upper case letters are only there because my dumb smart phone insists on putting them there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CMcG View Post
    Fragrance sensitivity has got to be difficult! I know some offices and schools are now banning scented products...

And I've long been a devotee of Old Spice as well, but more for the deodorant

Creed's Green Irish Tweed gets a lot of respect from what I've been reading. It's definitely on the higher end of the price spectrum though
    Yes. For Creed I typically buy tester bottles for a discounted price, or purchase it through a reputable online retailer.

Mickey is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have Anosmia. I have no sense of smell whatsoever. Never had. I can detect aromas/odors, but they all smell the same... (smells like chicken... get it?). I know when something very potent is in the area, when my eyes water.

But I've been told over many years that I smell the best when I use Brut, Old Spice, or Obsession For Men. That's it. So that is all that I use. Tried Drakkar and was told that I smelled like an old shoe. So I stick with my good 3.

It must be a wiring thing, as it really doesn't affect my sense of taste. I'm a top notch cook, and pride myself on that, but I sometimes wonder if that isn't just learned knowledge based on what other people enjoy. As an example, I can't smell thyme, but I somehow know how much to put into a dish, based on flavor. I'm not sure flavor and scent are entirely connected.

Great question!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Taj View Post
    Rondo, do you have a Vitamin Cottage or Whole Foods store nearby? Probably any health food store would carry the asian style deordant stones. It is a product made from various salts that when applied to underarms prevents bacteria growth, the thing that causes odor. I just bought a new one, brand = Lafes Natural and Organic deodorant stone. It claims to be hypoallergenic. Www.Lafes.com The upper case letters are only there because my dumb smart phone insists on putting them there.
    Thanks Taj...i'll check it out.

Rondo

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast