X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Cologne, Aftershave, Eau de Toilette, Eau de Parfum, etc.

Penhaligon Blenheim Bouquet
    Trumper Extract of Limes
    Taylor of Old Bond Street Bay Rum
    4711 Eau de Cologne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Azzaro. Expensive, but use very, very little.
    For years I've used one from Azzaro called "visit". One spray bottle lasts me the better part of a year.

A few weeks ago I began using a "vintage"/recreated one from J. Peterman called 1903:

http://www.jpeterman.com/!3VJ0IeOAtD...intage-Cologne

Friday night was my last in Japan before returning to the US, and I was in a British-themed pub in Kashiwa. . .

Two different local lasses, one 27 (a dance instructor) and another 30 (a programmer) chatted me up, both wanting my contact info in advance of my next anticipated visit in the spring. The second one kept speculatively hefting my same (rayskin) sporran and wistfully tugging at the cloth of my kilt. When she left, because she had to work early on Saturday, she hugged me and turned to leave. . .then did this classic movie-style turnaround leap into my arms for a more intense and longer hug.

I'm sure it was the new scent, not the Power of the Kilt.

But whatever it was, it was nice to find I've still "got it goin' on" at 61.
    "It's all the same to me, war or peace,
    I'm killed in the war or hung during peace."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not surprised to be getting some very different types of answers to this question, but I am a little surprised at the range! A couple gents are especially noteworthy for their consideration of others: Mickey who cannot smell but wears scents for the benefit of others, and CNDSushi who goes to great lengths in order to accommodate his friend who is allergic to scented products.

As a further consideration, how loyal are people to their smell? For example Alan H. says the only product he really uses is Irish Spring; is that a long term situation or does it just happen to be the soap that was on-sale last week?

For myself, I've been wearing Old Spice deodorant exclusively since I hit puberty. Other people have bought me some of the variations from that brand, but I prefer the original. As for fragrances, I've worn various ones over the years: Fahrenheit, Azzaro, Jazz, Dolce & Gabbana Masculine, and Clinique Happy. I'm currently scentless in Hong Kong, which is what got me thinking about this...

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Seago View Post
    A few weeks ago I began using a "vintage"/recreated one from J. Peterman called 1903:

http://www.jpeterman.com/!3VJ0IeOAtD...intage-Cologne
    That sounds very intriguing... too bad it is a niche fragrance that doesn't ship internationally.
    Last edited by CMcG; 5th December 11 at 09:17 AM.
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cacharel pour l'homme
    and from Artisan Parfumeur :
    Méchant loup
    Voleur de roses
    Premier figuier

Best,

Robert

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't often wear scent but when I do, I prefer Crabtree and Evelyn's Sienna after shave cream.
    Last edited by Peter Crowe; 5th December 11 at 11:14 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the same issue, anosmia, as Mickie; though it was not congenital, rather damage to the olfactory nerve later in life, so I remember scents. My sense of taste is not missing, more like dulled, and I'm sure imagination and memory fills in some of it.

I don't particularly wear anything scented like Cologne, but the shampoo I use is somewhat scented like mint, if I remember correctly. I try to avoid buying scented stuff, though I've been known to sometimes carry around a sprig of rosemary, from my garden, to eat on.

I used to love the scent of leather, also vanilla, as I remember off the top of my head, but never cared for the excess use of cologne, perfume, or after shave on others. I've noticed that memories bring up scents in my imagination, too.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Displaced 3rd generation Californian now residing in the "old" State of Jefferson, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CMcG View Post
    ....As a further consideration, how loyal are people to their smell? For example Alan H. says the only product he really uses is Irish Spring; is that a long term situation or does it just happen to be the soap that was on-sale last week?....
    I've been using the Joop close to twenty years now (a bottle will usually last 18 months to 2 years.) When it comes to soap, shampoo, and deodorant, I prefer products that are scentless.
    [I][B]Nearly all men can stand adversity. If you really want to test a man’s character,
    Give him power.[/B][/I] - [I]Abraham Lincoln[/I]

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cologne, Aftershave, Eau de Toilette, Eau de Parfum, etc.

I've been considering posting this very question for some time and think it is a very interesting one. Some people will chuck anything on, some will flip wantonly and others will view anything new with the utmost of suspicion.

When I smell a "loud scent" they are typically the nasty sport or lynx type scents which are supposed to attract women (if you believe the advertising men). I avoid them like the plague... "sport" fragrances that is!

I enjoy the more quiet subtle citrus scents although, from time to time, I feel adventurous and have a "quarter-spray" of Ralph's Polo which is completely different to all my other fragrances... it's loud, loaded with patouchi and lingers for weeks; it does however seem to go with heavy tweed, leather and acres of wool.

I've worn Blenheim Bouquet and Extract of Limes since I was a student but my wife doesn't particularly like them (she is slowly coming around) so they are, in the main, "relegated" to shower and shaving... personal pleasures... I still get an overwhelming sense of joy and a comforting reassurance when I smell either.

Acqua di Parma is my "daily driver" for work; I like it and I think it gives the correct professional impression if any notices it at all... but I wouldn't choose to wear it at leisure or with the kilt.

Eau d'Hermes and Eau Sauvage are beloved by myself and my wife; I think that the Eau d'Hermes is a little bit more challenging; it is loaded with civet; it's been described as "animalistic" and it does seem to go very well with old tweed and wool... so perfect for kilt wearing.

This is my list of fragrances that I love and have used for years:

Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet (shower & fragrance)
    Trumper's Extract of Limes (shaving soap & fragrance)
    Taylor of Old Bond Street's Jojoba (soap)
    Hermes' Eau d'Hermes (fragrance)
    Christian Dior's Eau Sauvage (fragrance)
    Acqua Di Parma Colonia Assoluta (fragrance)

From time to time, I step out a little and try a new one... I've been considering Knize 10, Grey Flannel and Green Irish Tweed (I've read this is the best of the Creed; I've only read unkind reviews of the other Creed offerings)

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I've been using Aqua Velva Blue after shave since I was 13. I have only one reason for my brand loyalty and that is because of powerful childhood memories of my dad using that brand. I can remember the shape and the feel of the bottle, and most especially that he would let me have the empty bottle to play with sometimes. I can recall the scent that was still strong in the bottle, even though it was empty. So I would use that as a kid, pretending to shave. So naturally, when I started shaving I went towards the same thing.

What is really interesting is that the product has not really changed at all over the years. Even the size and shape of the bottle has remained constant. Until just recently. The last time I bought some I discovered that the familiar glass bottle had been replaced by plastic. Same size and shape, just different material. It actually made me sad, I was so used to the glass bottle since my childhood!

Other than that, I don't really wear a scent much. I do have some cologne that I will use sparingly when my wife and I have an evening out. It's not a brand name, but rather something made by an individual entrepreneur selling her scents on line. I have bought my wife a few perfumes and things from her, so I thought I'd give something for me a try. The scent is called "Man Musk," and my wife really seems to like it, and really who else's opinion ought to matter? :-)

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For shaving lotions, I tend to use Col. Ichabod Conk, Clubman or Dominica Bay Rum. For cologne, I wear Caswell Massey No. 6, which was George Washington's blend.

I can certainly relate to Matt's post; bay rum always reminds me of the two barbershops the men in my family went to on a regular basis. Even today, I still go to a barbershop to have my haircut, and not a "salon". My grandfather used bay rum, and whenever I open a bottle in the morning, I still can remember going to the barbers on Saturday with him.

T.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast