X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Cologne, Aftershave, Eau de Toilette, Eau de Parfum, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
    Not just you. I think it's related to the nanny state smoking bans, now that many public places don't have the background smell of tobacco, lots of folks had to find something else to complain about. I don't dispute that people have reactions to various chemicals, but I think that rather than allergies, some of the symptoms are due to odor hypersensitivity or are mainly psychological. I saw a show on TV a while back where patients in some clinical trails reacted as often to the exposure to the chemicals they said bothered them as they did to placebos, including filtered air.
    Whether or not it's all in their heads is really not relevant. Just because an underlying cause isn't physical doesn't make it any less serious or dangerous. Just ask anyone who knows somebody with PTSD...

The effect is very real, and I'm quite sure my friend does not ask or enjoy blacking out and losing several hours' worth of memory, or being taken unconscious to the hospital. As such, I think it's good that many places take measures to be scent-free. While you or I may possess the good common sense not to bathe in perfume, a LOT of people just don't have that kind of consideration. It's the actions of the inconsiderate that lead to rules that affect everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't even use scented soap, any scented smell just overpowers me. I can't even use air fresheners etc. I look for deoderants that do not smell much.

Chris.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CDNSushi View Post
    It's the actions of the inconsiderate that lead to rules that affect everyone.
    So true!!

I use Crabtree shaving soap a generic deo and shower gel from the drugstore and Drakkar Noir for the special occasions when I want a scent.

Shalom
    Hermann
    "Wizards in trousers? Not in my university! It`s sissy. People´d laugh." said Ridcully.
    Christian Pipe Smoker
    My Youtube Channel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
    Not just you. I think it's related to the nanny state smoking bans, now that many public places don't have the background smell of tobacco, lots of folks had to find something else to complain about. I don't dispute that people have reactions to various chemicals, but I think that rather than allergies, some of the symptoms are due to odor hypersensitivity or are mainly psychological. I saw a show on TV a while back where patients in some clinical trails reacted as often to the exposure to the chemicals they said bothered them as they did to placebos, including filtered air.

Me, I've been using Irish Spring soap since I was a teenager, and I wore English Leather for years as well. About 10 years ago, my wife gave me some "Bone Daddy" cologne, a tie-in with the movie 'The Nightmare Before Christmas'. This was sort of a novelty thing, but everyone seems to like the smell of it, so I've been sticking with it. But I just wear a bit, enough to be noticed if someone hugs on me.
    I work in a lab that formulates hair care and skin care products for a lot of names that would be familiar . I am not a chemist but amongst my duties is raw material procurement. Fragrance free is huge today it is a major issue with many clients, and is a sought after claim (which has to be substantiated). Natural oils are big for this reason. Also, because regulatory docs is another responsibility, Allergen documents are essential for registration in most countries today. A client would need to submit all of this information to be able to sell most places.

And Zardoz, I am like you I have been using Irish Spring forever.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Azzaro. Expensive, but use very, very little. Never Old Spice - far too powerful, especially for those who can't handle scents.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweat. Not three-day old sweat, this afternoons sweat is just fine.
    ...woodsmoke, when I'm backpacking. I actually rather like that.

Its that, or soap. Irish spring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Azzaro. Expensive, but use very, very little.
    For years I've used one from Azzaro called "visit". One spray bottle lasts me the better part of a year.

A few weeks ago I began using a "vintage"/recreated one from J. Peterman called 1903:

http://www.jpeterman.com/!3VJ0IeOAtD...intage-Cologne

Friday night was my last in Japan before returning to the US, and I was in a British-themed pub in Kashiwa. . .

Two different local lasses, one 27 (a dance instructor) and another 30 (a programmer) chatted me up, both wanting my contact info in advance of my next anticipated visit in the spring. The second one kept speculatively hefting my same (rayskin) sporran and wistfully tugging at the cloth of my kilt. When she left, because she had to work early on Saturday, she hugged me and turned to leave. . .then did this classic movie-style turnaround leap into my arms for a more intense and longer hug.

I'm sure it was the new scent, not the Power of the Kilt.

But whatever it was, it was nice to find I've still "got it goin' on" at 61.
    "It's all the same to me, war or peace,
    I'm killed in the war or hung during peace."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not surprised to be getting some very different types of answers to this question, but I am a little surprised at the range! A couple gents are especially noteworthy for their consideration of others: Mickey who cannot smell but wears scents for the benefit of others, and CNDSushi who goes to great lengths in order to accommodate his friend who is allergic to scented products.

As a further consideration, how loyal are people to their smell? For example Alan H. says the only product he really uses is Irish Spring; is that a long term situation or does it just happen to be the soap that was on-sale last week?

For myself, I've been wearing Old Spice deodorant exclusively since I hit puberty. Other people have bought me some of the variations from that brand, but I prefer the original. As for fragrances, I've worn various ones over the years: Fahrenheit, Azzaro, Jazz, Dolce & Gabbana Masculine, and Clinique Happy. I'm currently scentless in Hong Kong, which is what got me thinking about this...

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Seago View Post
    A few weeks ago I began using a "vintage"/recreated one from J. Peterman called 1903:

http://www.jpeterman.com/!3VJ0IeOAtD...intage-Cologne
    That sounds very intriguing... too bad it is a niche fragrance that doesn't ship internationally.
    Last edited by CMcG; 5th December 11 at 09:17 AM.
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Displaced 3rd generation Californian now residing in the "old" State of Jefferson, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CMcG View Post
    ....As a further consideration, how loyal are people to their smell? For example Alan H. says the only product he really uses is Irish Spring; is that a long term situation or does it just happen to be the soap that was on-sale last week?....
    I've been using the Joop close to twenty years now (a bottle will usually last 18 months to 2 years.) When it comes to soap, shampoo, and deodorant, I prefer products that are scentless.
    [I][B]Nearly all men can stand adversity. If you really want to test a man’s character,
    Give him power.[/B][/I] - [I]Abraham Lincoln[/I]

Mickey is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CMcG View Post
    As a further consideration, how loyal are people to their smell? For example Alan H. says the only product he really uses is Irish Spring; is that a long term situation or does it just happen to be the soap that was on-sale last week?.
    For me, I am loyal to what I'm told works, and after many samples over the years, nothing compares to my main three, Brut still being the tops. I've actually had strange women (as in, women I don't know... as well as "strange" women..) swoon over my scent when wearing it, then give me a dirty look when I tell them what I'm wearing. They seem to think it is a smart-a@@ answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Seago View Post
    That brings up an interesting point: Individuals' body chemistry being a bit different, not all people will smell exactly the same using the same scent.
    Which is why Brut and Old Spice seem to work on me and others just make me smell quite rank. It is also why I not only wear cologne/aftershave/deodorant (also O.S. or Brut), but also have it in my work desk and sometimes the car. I can apparently go from "flowers on a baby" to "sewage treatment plant" in a matter of hours, depending on the weather. And when you can't smell yourself, better safe than sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    For some unknown reason, the olfactory senses are very closely related to memory. So it's not surprising that while smells can take you back to a fond memory, your memory can also recall smells very vividly. It's fascinating, isn't it?
    This is what makes this thread fascinating to me. I've read about these types of things that I can't experience, but I imagine it to be similar to music or taste, though I hear it is much stronger. Unlike Bugbear, who has a memory of scent, I can't ever recall smelling anything. So it is really cool to read things about this sense, at least to me.

(when I was in my teens, I was sprayed in the face by a skunk... never smelled a thing.. outside the fact that it was a powerful fume... Walked into the house and all hell broke loose. Didn't know what the problem was. But I can testify that between pepper spray or skunk in the eyes.... I'll beg for the pepper spray!)

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast