X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Cologne, Aftershave, Eau de Toilette, Eau de Parfum, etc.

What do you smell like? Do you have a special fragrance for kilt-wearing or do you stick to your signature scent?

I realize not everyone bothers with such things, but today's grooming products tend to be rather fragrant, so just having a shower or applying deodorant is likely to make one smell like something. Or are there people who actually go out of their way to not smell like anything?

Last edited by CMcG; 4th December 11 at 07:50 PM. Reason: adding pic
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Cologne, Aftershave, Eau de Toilette, Eau de Parfum, etc.

I am very scent sensitive and suffer from migraines, so I don't wear anything like that. I do however shower with Old Spice body wash. One thing I really object to is that at Shoppers Drug Mart they put the perfume and beauty products at the front door so you need to walk through it to go get pain medication and it can make an already bad migraine worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For formal/evening kilted events I typically wear Creed Green Irish Tweed millesime. For daytime, Creed Erolfa or Truefitt & Hill 1805.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    I am very scent sensitive and suffer from migraines, so I don't wear anything like that. I do however shower with Old Spice body wash. One thing I really object to is that at Shoppers Drug Mart they put the perfume and beauty products at the front door so you need to walk through it to go get pain medication and it can make an already bad migraine worse.
    Fragrance sensitivity has got to be difficult! I know some offices and schools are now banning scented products...

And I've long been a devotee of Old Spice as well, but more for the deodorant

Quote Originally Posted by ragged tiger View Post
    For formal/evening kilted events I typically wear Creed Green Irish Tweed millesime. For daytime, Creed Erolfa or Truefitt & Hill 1805.
    Creed's Green Irish Tweed gets a lot of respect from what I've been reading. It's definitely on the higher end of the price spectrum though
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to be old school (surprise) when it comes to scent. Only you and someone VERY close to you should be able to smell anything. Less is definitely more here, especially with the better quality stuff that's meant to linger. The problem I find is that people either use excess of the cheap stuff in an effort to make it last longer OR, they just think that more is better, which, of course is not the case. Even a pleasant scent can be obnoxious when used in excess.
    "Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days." Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nowadays I'm afraid that being scented makes one a bit of a pariah much like smoking does. The problem is that many people really overdo it and it's just impossible to be anywhere near them. Also, there are many who are very allergic to scents, some quite seriously so. A good friend of mine is so extremely allergic that merely walking by him while wearing cologne or perfume can (and often does) land him in the hospital, in shock. He has an epi-pen with which he can be jabbed to save his life if need be. And he has used it on many occasions. Before meeting him I literally have to shower with scent-free soap, use scent-free anti-persperant, and have washed all my clothes with scent-free laundry detergent.

Having said that however, I was recently given a bottle of "Samourai" that I like very much and wear daily, hopefully in moderation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shower then Old Spice deodorant. That's pretty much it.

Displaced 3rd generation Californian now residing in the "old" State of Jefferson, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife likes the fragrance of Joop cologne, so I wear that if we are going out for an evening. When I worked in the corporate arena, I would also wear it during the day. However, I would use less than a full spray of the pump to keep it toned down. If I'm going to be outside, then I wear nothing, since fragrances tend to attract bees.
    [I][B]Nearly all men can stand adversity. If you really want to test a man’s character,
    Give him power.[/B][/I] - [I]Abraham Lincoln[/I]

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to wear Drakkar many years ago, but these days I find that men wearing cologne can often be annoying. I strive to smell like a clean person and nothing more. But I smoke, so I'm sure that's what people smell on me, and it's pretty pointless to try to mask that with foo-foo. I do use Axe body spray, though, which can only really be smelled by my wife when she's up close.

Is it just me, or is the whole "scent allergy" thing pretty new? I had never heard of it until a few years ago, and now it seems that a whole lot of people have it. It all seems very odd to me.

Winfield, MO (originally from NE Scotland)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old spice usually...

Jazz or Opium if I'm in the mood

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast