X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about Clan Fraser Crest

As a brief intro, some of you know I do custom embroidery work and travel to numerous games as a vendor. Have done work for a number of members of the Fraser clan and have just run encountered a new problem with a client.

Long story short, I did a custom, tartan appliqued sweatshirt for the client as a Christmas gift. Got a call on Saturday saying they loved the shirt but that we made a mistake on the order. On all previous work I have done for Fraser of Lovat the motto I have used is "Je Suis Prest" and have never had anyone raise a question.

The mistake according to this client, there should not be a "t" in Prest: should be "Je Suis Pres." Why, the rationale offered was the motto is French in origin and, as a result, the "t" should not be there. As I am not able to speak a word of French, I did a couple of searches and cannot find anything which supports this rationale.

The Fraser society sites all use the motto as I have done it in the past. My question is, is there a variation I am not aware of? Any help would be appreciated.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Question about Clan Fraser Crest

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
    As a brief intro, some of you know I do custom embroidery work and travel to numerous games as a vendor. Have done work for a number of members of the Fraser clan and have just run encountered a new problem with a client.

Long story short, I did a custom, tartan appliqued sweatshirt for the client as a Christmas gift. Got a call on Saturday saying they loved the shirt but that we made a mistake on the order. On all previous work I have done for Fraser of Lovat the motto I have used is "Je Suis Prest" and have never had anyone raise a question.

The mistake according to this client, there should not be a "t" in Prest: should be "Je Suis Pres." Why, the rationale offered was the motto is French in origin and, as a result, the "t" should not be there. As I am not able to speak a word of French, I did a couple of searches and cannot find anything which supports this rationale.

The Fraser society sites all use the motto as I have done it in the past. My question is, is there a variation I am not aware of? Any help would be appreciated.
    See the "Heraldry" page on Lady Saltoun's web site:

http://www.fraserchief.co.uk/heraldry.html

Note that the image displayed on her site shows the motto with the "t" in Prest.

T.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cajunscot View Post
    See the "Heraldry" page on Lady Saltoun's web site:

http://www.fraserchief.co.uk/heraldry.html

Note that the image displayed on her site shows the motto with the "t" in Prest.

T.
    Thanks for taking the time to respond, cajunscot. I have done a # of searches and cant find a single instance where the "t" has been dropped. Was just wondering if there was a variation out there I did not know about so I could preempt a similar problem in the future.

The client in question is positive everyone else is wrong, including the Fraser Society of NA, and he is correct. Just one of those times when you comply with a customer's wishes and make them happy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a few minutes with a seam ripper would solve the problem.
    --dbh

When given a choice, most people will choose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by piperdbh View Post
    Sounds like a few minutes with a seam ripper would solve the problem.
    Wish it was that easy, lol. Two layers of embroidery work over top of a piece of tartan. Going to be tough to remove the tightly embroidered letter from the bottom layer of threadwork and the tartan.

Have to deal with shipping costs both ways as well. Hopefully he will change his mind and keep it as is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't really say much about the Fraser motto, but having lived in France (or a French speaking community) for 28 years, and considering myself a fluent French speaker, the phrase "Je suis pres" (without the final "t") means "I am ready". If you add the final "t", it doesn't mean anything. "Prest" is not a French word.

Maybe a mistake was made long ago and they've just kept the motto with the mistake? I really can't say.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is helpful, BCAC, as that is the gist of what the customer is saying. Guess he is of the mindset that the french has to be accurate rather than wearing the motto as approved by the clan Chief.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoa, like 3 of my worlds colliding in this thread! (applique/ embroidered garments, high school French, clan Fraser motto)
    Je parle un petit peu de francais.

****EDIT** I am wrong.
    I can't imagine dropping the t on "prest". It's not a French word then, "pres". "Près" is, but that changes it from "ready" to "almost/ or close" I don't think they want their motto to be "I am Close".
    **END***
    All I know of the Fraser (of Lovat) clan motto is from the Outlander book series. It's always "Je Suis Prest".

It's even on some Outlander SWAG.
    http://www.zazzle.com/je+suis+prest+gifts
    http://www.cafepress.com/+clan_fraser_button,111469204

Hope that helps.
    Yeah, you don't want to have to remove some applique. That's brutal.
    Last edited by GoodGirlGonePlaid; 12th December 11 at 11:33 AM. Reason: I'm an idioooot. ;)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GoodGirlGonePlaid View Post
    I can't imagine dropping the t on "prest". It's not a French word then, "pres". "Près" is, but that changes it from "ready" to "almost/ or close" I don't think they want their motto to be "I am Close".
    I don't know a lick of French, but out of curiosity, I typed "I am ready" into the Google translator, and it told me that the French phrase should read "Je suis prêt." Interesting that they show the "t" but not the "s".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BCAC View Post
    I can't really say much about the Fraser motto, but having lived in France (or a French speaking community) for 28 years, and considering myself a fluent French speaker, the phrase "Je suis pres" (without the final "t") means "I am ready". If you add the final "t", it doesn't mean anything. "Prest" is not a French word.

Maybe a mistake was made long ago and they've just kept the motto with the mistake? I really can't say.

Hope this helps.
    Ooops, I'm wrong. Well, that's the first time that's happened.
    #Sarcasm
    #IamClueless re: French

Please disregard my prior response.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast