X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Clergy Kilt?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Clergy Kilt?

I am not a religious person, so I cannot claim to voice an opinion on religious procedures and dress ethics, but I honestly think that you would be better not to wear the Clergy tartan.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by biblemonkey View Post
    DARN! For some reason my browser won't open those links.

try this one

ith:

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    I know socks can be holey, but are your shoes religious? Chas
    I've yet to find any shoes with eternal soles. Though they can be redeemed and indeed resurrected through the good deeds of the son of Rod, the cobbler down on Main Street.

*fetches his tweed jacket to make a hasty exit*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is also the Mighty Men tartan "designed in honour of Mighty Men who stand united in Christ" - I believe that Mike Oettle has a kilt in this tartan and had some hand in its design.
    Last edited by Cygnus; 16th December 11 at 09:12 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sign on a cobbler's shop next to a church: "We save soles too!"

I would know clergy tartan a mile away. I wear it. I'd immediately strike up a conversation with you and you'd be embarassed in a moment when I started asking you about where you studied and were ordained. To avoid that, do consider some of the excellent suggestions offered.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTEThere's always the "Holyrood" or "St. Andrew's" tartans...[/QUOTE]

Holyrood -

Designed by Alistair Buchan of Lochcarron of Scotland to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II in 1977. See also Macnaughton version. Sample in Scottish Tartans Society Johnston Collection. Additional notes from the Scottish Tartans Society say: 'Holyrood is the Scottish equivalent of Buckingham Palace, the Queen's official residence in Scotland. She is guarded by 'The Royal Company of Archers', a non military force provided by the chiefs of the clans.
    St. Andrew's -

The St Andrews Heritage company was formed from North East Enterprise Trust in 1997 to brand quality Scottish products for export. When the company went out of business the University took over the tartan. It has been re-named 'University of St Andrews'.
    So, one is named after a house and the other after a university - neither one is particularly religious.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holyrood -

St. Andrew's -

So, one is named after a house and the other after a university - neither one is particularly religious.
    Someone should the apostle Andrew, "the first-called" and patron saint of Scotland that he's "not very religious then"...

Holyrood, by the way, is Scots for "Holy Cross"; St. Margaret of Scotland reportedly brought the "Holy Rood" with her when when she married Malcolm III Canmore...but nothing religious in that name either.

BTW, Chas...the palace was built next to an Abbey of the same name:

"Holyrood Abbey was founded in 1128 by King David I for the Canons Regular of St. Augustine, who came from St. Andrews. The foundation is said to have been an act of thanksgiving for the king's miraculous escape from the horns of a hart while hunting near Edinburgh on Holy Cross Day ("rood" means "cross")."

T.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTEThere's always the "Holyrood" or "St. Andrew's" tartans...
    Holyrood -

St. Andrew's -

So, one is named after a house and the other after a university - neither one is particularly religious.[/QUOTE]

Earl of St. Andrew's (From Locharron's Website:

A History of Earl Of St. Andrews Tartan

The tartan was designed in the early 1930s by Arthur Bottomly of Peter MacArthur Ltd in Hamilton. It was produced in honour of Prince George (then Earl of St Andrews), eldest son of the Duke and Duchess of Kent. Use of the tartan became widespread in the 1970s and its popularity has continued through the association with the town of St Andrews and consequent golfing links.

ith:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davidg View Post
    The answer to your question is a little complex and in the end only you can make the decision as to what you should do

Traditionally the clergy tartan is only worn by clergy but it is the definition of "clergy" that is key. It is not denominational so even a buddhist monk might be able to describe himself as clergy. In any case, in the historic Christian church there are several "clerical states" below the commonly recognised states of deacon, priest and bishop. Those clerical states, the state that makes you "clergy", includes doorkeeper, reader, exorcist etc. Modern day traditions are usually just deacon and presbyter (or priest or elder) with some denominations having bishops or moderators as well but, like I said, clergy tartan is not restricted to Christian denominations only

However, wearing clergy tartan is similar in many respects to wearing a clerical collar or a cassock. Would you feel right if you did either of those things?

What I would suggest is that rather than wear the clergy tartan you go for the Clark tartan instead. They are both identical, because clergy and cleric are derived from Clark (or clerk). There is usually a shading difference between clergy and Clark to distinguish one from the other

As I said though, only you can make the decision and most people will not notice anyway
    *** Exactly right. I love the learned folks here!!!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast