X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clergy Kilt?

Pennsyl-tuckey-vill-burg-town (aka central Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Clergy Kilt?

I line up somewhere between the "wear what you want" and the "ONLY YOUR CLAN!" groups so I have a question about appropriateness. I really like the "Clergy" tartan and since I cannot find any "Christian" tartans that I like I thought I would go this route for occasional church wear. I am not a clergyman by any means but I do serve in the church as a musician and do my best to be a good example as an ordinary man to the youth in our church. Would it be in "poor taste" to wear this tartan as a non-frocked but unofficial but respected "leader/server" in my church or is this a grey area that no one really cares about?

Mac Newsome wrote this in a blog:

"In the case of the Clergy tartan, wearing this will imply to people that you are involved in ministry. Out of respect for those who actually are ordained clergy, most people would consider it very inapropriate for a non-minister to wear this tartan."

But I wondered if those serving in the church without being ordained would be "appropriate" as well.

If said tartan WOULD be inapropriate are there any "Christian" tartans out there. I don't care for the "Mighty Men" tartan so that one's out.

Thanks,
    Hugh

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Clergy Kilt?

Quote Originally Posted by biblemonkey View Post
    I line up somewhere between the "wear what you want" and the "ONLY YOUR CLAN!" groups so I have a question about appropriateness. I really like the "Clergy" tartan and since I cannot find any "Christian" tartans that I like I thought I would go this route for occasional church wear. I am not a clergyman by any means but I do serve in the church as a musician and do my best to be a good example as an ordinary man to the youth in our church. Would it be in "poor taste" to wear this tartan as a non-frocked but unofficial "leader/server" in my church or is this a grey area that no one really cares about?

Mac Newsome wrote this in a blog:

"In the case of the Clergy tartan, wearing this will imply to people that you are involved in ministry. Out of respect for those who actually are ordained clergy, most people would consider it very inapropriate for a non-minister to wear this tartan."

But I wondered if those serving in the church without being ordained would be "appropriate" as well.

If said tartan WOULD be inapropriate are their any "Christian" tartans out their. I don't care for the "Mighty Men" tartan so that one's out.

Thanks,
    Hugh
    There's always the "Holyrood" or "St. Andrew's" tartans...

T.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cajunscot View Post

T.
    Good call, Todd!

The St. Andrew's tartan fairly close to the Clergy tartan (and a favorite of mine).

When I had my newest kilt made, I had narrowed the tartans down to the St. Andrew's and Holyrood.

I ended up going with the Holyrood, but St. Andrew's is still on my list.

ith:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

99.9% of the population will neither know nor care. For the 0.1% of the population, who do know and care, Matt's assessment would be quite right.

So who is your target audience?

I do not understand the need for a Christian kilt. I know socks can be holey, but are your shoes religious? Are you seeking out sanctimonious underclothing? Are you looking to have your shirts and jackets blessed? If not, why have you singled out the kilt?

I would have thought that wearing a visible crucifix would say far more about you and your beliefs than an item of clothing not understood by the majority.

Sorry to be brutal.

Regards

Chas

davidg is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The answer to your question is a little complex and in the end only you can make the decision as to what you should do

Traditionally the clergy tartan is only worn by clergy but it is the definition of "clergy" that is key. It is not denominational so even a buddhist monk might be able to describe himself as clergy. In any case, in the historic Christian church there are several "clerical states" below the commonly recognised states of deacon, priest and bishop. Those clerical states, the state that makes you "clergy", includes doorkeeper, reader, exorcist etc. Modern day traditions are usually just deacon and presbyter (or priest or elder) with some denominations having bishops or moderators as well but, like I said, clergy tartan is not restricted to Christian denominations only

However, wearing clergy tartan is similar in many respects to wearing a clerical collar or a cassock. Would you feel right if you did either of those things?

What I would suggest is that rather than wear the clergy tartan you go for the Clark tartan instead. They are both identical, because clergy and cleric are derived from Clark (or clerk). There is usually a shading difference between clergy and Clark to distinguish one from the other

As I said though, only you can make the decision and most people will not notice anyway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Re: Clergy Kilt?

Quote Originally Posted by cajunscot View Post

T.
    Isn't Holyrood the tartan of the "Royal Company of Archers"? And is St Andrews the tartan that makes a St Andrews Cross in the back?
    Last edited by biblemonkey; 16th December 11 at 07:00 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    99.9% of the population will neither know nor care. For the 0.1% of the population, who do know and care, Matt's assessment would be quite right.

So who is your target audience?

I do not understand the need for a Christian kilt. I know socks can be holey, but are your shoes religious? Are you seeking out sanctimonious underclothing? Are you looking to have your shirts and jackets blessed? If not, why have you singled out the kilt?

I would have thought that wearing a visible crucifix would say far more about you and your beliefs than an item of clothing not understood by the majority.

Sorry to be brutal.

Regards

Chas
    No need to apologize. I don't even wear a crucifix as it seems to be more of a fashion statement than a testament of faith these days. No, I was wondering about religious tartans because to me a tartan is a visual and time honored way of expressing a connection with something bigger than yourself. I wear the Graham to honor my family and while I do my best to try and honor my God with my life, tartan is also a deeply moving thing for me at times. I just wanted to connect the two by wearing an "affiliated" tartan.

Hope this mumble of nonsense makes SOME sense.

Hugh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davidg View Post
    The answer to your question is a little complex and in the end only you can make the decision as to what you should do

Traditionally the clergy tartan is only worn by clergy but it is the definition of "clergy" that is key. It is not denominational so even a buddhist monk might be able to describe himself as clergy. In any case, in the historic Christian church there are several "clerical states" below the commonly recognised states of deacon, priest and bishop. Those clerical states, the state that makes you "clergy", includes doorkeeper, reader, exorcist etc. Modern day traditions are usually just deacon and presbyter (or priest or elder) with some denominations having bishops or moderators as well but, like I said, clergy tartan is not restricted to Christian denominations only

However, wearing clergy tartan is similar in many respects to wearing a clerical collar or a cassock. Would you feel right if you did either of those things?

What I would suggest is that rather than wear the clergy tartan you go for the Clark tartan instead. They are both identical, because clergy and cleric are derived from Clark (or clerk). There is usually a shading difference between clergy and Clark to distinguish one from the other

As I said though, only you can make the decision and most people will not notice anyway
    Good points about the collar. Hmmm...that really brings it home so probably no Clergy tartan for me. I wouldn't want to wear the Clark for the same reason but thanks for the suggestion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by biblemonkey View Post
    Isn't Holyrood the tartan of the "Royal Company of Archers"? And is St Andrews the tartan that makes a St Andrews Cross in the back?
    http://www.lochcarron.com/reiver/ear...t_andrews.html

http://lochcarron.com/history/earl_of_st_andrews.html

ith:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DARN! For some reason my browser won't open those links.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast