X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Visiting Scotland in April 2012

I'm looking for some suggestions on places to see, things to do, and where to stay when I visit Scotland to attend a travel trade expo in Edinburgh from 21-26 April. My "tourist time" will be about 7-20 April.

This will be my third trip, so I'm planning to focus on the Highlands and West Coast/Islands for about 10 days and about 3 days in Edinburgh before I attend the expo (which will also include a trip to Fife and the Cairngorms). (Sorry, Alex, not sure if I'll have time to visit the Borders on this trip.)

My interests are primarily history and culture (which of course includes whisky), so I'd like to work in some castles, battlefields, museums, and the like. On my list so far are: Fort George (I spent all day at Culloden last time and didn't make it to Fort George), Armadale Castle, Highland Folk Museum, Stirling (Castle, Bannockburn, Wallace Monument, etc), Edradour Distillery (one of my favorites) and perhaps Talisker Distillery, trips to Lewis and Harris, and up to Wick in the Highlands.

My plans are fluid and flexible at this point but I'd appreciate any recommendations, especially from our Scottish members.
    Virginia Commissioner, Elliot Clan Society, USA
    Adjutant, 1745 Appin Stewart Regiment
    Scottish-American Military Society
    US Marine (1970-1999)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Visiting Scotland in April 2012

Sir William
    My interests (which of course includes whisky),
    My plans are fluid.
    Interesting when you pull out a phrase here and there!

From one William to another . . . .
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not very good at all this sight seeing stuff, half an hour should be long enough to see any museum and is too long to see most big houses and castles. There are two exceptions! Blair Castle(the House of Bruar shop is close by too) and Fort George. After that I want to see the wildlife and the scenery, so I am not really a great help. However if you can fit Fort William and the Highland Museum into your itinerary then the Cameron Museum at Achnacarry might be worth a visit.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Highland Folk Museum, Newtonmore http://www.highlandfolk.com/newtonmore.php (and Dr Grant`s original folk museum at Kingusssie, too), Clan Macpherson Museum while you are in Newtonmore http://www.clan-macpherson.org/museum/index.html, West Highland Museum at Fort William http://www.westhighlandmuseum.org.uk/, Auchandrain in Argyll http://www.auchindrain.org.uk/, Castle Sween

and Carnasserie

The brochs at Glenelg, the stones and the Black House on Lewis, St Clement's Church at Rodil on Harris.

Dunvegan while you are on Skye. Are you planning to visit Mull?

Osgood Mackenzie's Inverewe Gardens and the Castle of Mey gardens (check to see the latter are open in April).

The museum at Wick http://www.wickheritage.org/, at Golspie there's Dunrobin Castle (and Clynelish Distillery). Check out Tain Through Time http://www.tainmuseum.org.uk/pilgrimage_g.asp?page=102 and the Glenmorangie Distillery at Tain, go out to Portmahomack in Easter Ross and visit the Tarbat Discovery Centre (I had the pleasure of working in the dig at that Pictish monastery years ago).

On the Black Isle, Cromarty, of course, and Fortrose, but also the Clootie Well.

More?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I am not very good at all this sight seeing stuff, half an hour should be long enough to see any museum and is too long to see most big houses and castles. There are two exceptions! Blair Castle(the House of Bruar shop is close by too) and Fort George. After that I want to see the wildlife and the scenery, so I am not really a great help. However if you can fit Fort William and the Highland Museum into your itinerary then the Cameron Museum at Achnacarry might be worth a visit.
    Thanks Jock!

Fort William is on my list of stops of course and I'm thinking of spending one night there. I visited the Highland Museum my last time through and may do so again if time allows or I may just enjoy strolling through the town.

At various points along the way (Glencoe, Skye, Killiecrankie, etc) I plan to take a walk and enjoy the scenery and wildlife. I had some good experiences at Glencoe last time.
    Virginia Commissioner, Elliot Clan Society, USA
    Adjutant, 1745 Appin Stewart Regiment
    Scottish-American Military Society
    US Marine (1970-1999)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are planning to go here for 2 weeks then over to Skye.

http://www.portabhaigh.co.uk/gallery.htm

It's on the north west coast of Scotland and is very remote.

All single track roads with passing places. You would need a car.

Chris.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the area around Loch Shiel on the west coast. This is castle Tioram, which sits on a small island in Loch Moidart, near the foot of Loch Shiel. You can walk out to it at low tide. At the head of Loch Shiel is the Glenfinnan monument.

the desolate sandy wastes of Tucson, Sonora Desert, Baja Arizona, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take stroll up through the woods, past the Black Burn, and spend a bit of time at Edradour. Then walk the road back down the hill, eat at the Moulin Inn, and another short stroll back to Pitlochry. Makes for a wonderful afternoon.

See A Visit to Pitlochry
    Last edited by Beertigger; 16th December 11 at 10:16 PM.
    - The Beertigger
    "The only one, since 1969."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You already mentioned my favorite place, Edradour distillery. Moulin Inn has some great house made brews also. I enjoyed Pitlochry and the India food served there. In Collander we walked a mile or so to the Lade Inn. Another great place to eat local food and some house made beer, though now made off site. There was a great little used book store that I had to collect at least 6 books from. The walk up to Braklin Falls is nice and while up there just keep hiking to the crags. You will have a glorious view of Collander and beyond.
    "Greater understanding properly leads to an increasing sense of responsibility, and not to arrogance."

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the Moulon, a pint of Ale of Atholl! Eyes roll and lips are licked. Across the way spend a few hours at the Explorers' Garden and, if you have an evening to spare, whatever is on at the Festival Theatre.

Further on the A9 is Killicrankie and, beyond that both the House of Bruar and Blair Castle recommended by Jock Scot. I can never resist a stop at House of Bruar on my way home from Edinburgh, but another route into the Highlands will take you by way of Aberfeldy and right past Dewar's (pronounced doo-ers ) Distillery. Don't pass Haggart's on the High Street, however. This 200 year old tweed shop is where you will spend your fortune, or wish you had a fortune to spend.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast