X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Visiting Scotland in April 2012

Quote Originally Posted by cessna152towser View Post
    If you can't make it down to the Border country let me know when you will be in Edinburgh and maybe I can meet you there, I live only 55 miles from Edinburgh.
    Will do.

I may try for a day trip to Newcastleton to meet with my clan chief to discuss our upcoming clan gathering in 2013, in which case I can meet you in Hawick. I'll keep you informed as to developments in that regard, but otherwise I'll not have time to travel the Borders this trip (but I'll be focused on that region in 2013).
    Virginia Commissioner, Elliot Clan Society, USA
    Adjutant, 1745 Appin Stewart Regiment
    Scottish-American Military Society
    US Marine (1970-1999)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    Callander, Paul? Where Dr Finlay's Casebok was filmed? The Lade Inn is another real ale brewhouse.
    Im not sure about the filming of Dr Finlay's Casebok but yes there is a real ale brewhouse. Though the brewery has been moved due to expansion and taking on the brewing of other fine real ales (contract brewing) it still keeps the Lade Inn with its own house ales. They were very nice indeed, the Lade Back ale, the Waylade ale and Lade Out. Lade Inn was about a mile walk from Collander north on the A84. They have a Real Ale retail shop for some of the many Scottish and UK bottled Real Ales. Link to Lade Inn below.

http://www.theladeinn.com/index.php

This is also where we allowed ourselves a serving of Sticky Toffee Pudding and my was it wonderful.
    "Greater understanding properly leads to an increasing sense of responsibility, and not to arrogance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brewerpaul View Post
    Im not sure about the filming of Dr Finlay's Casebok but yes there is a real ale brewhouse. Though the brewery has been moved due to expansion and taking on the brewing of other fine real ales (contract brewing) it still keeps the Lade Inn with its own house ales. They were very nice indeed, the Lade Back ale, the Waylade ale and Lade Out. Lade Inn was about a mile walk from Collander north on the A84. They have a Real Ale retail shop for some of the many Scottish and UK bottled Real Ales. Link to Lade Inn below.

http://www.theladeinn.com/index.php

This is also where we allowed ourselves a serving of Sticky Toffee Pudding and my was it wonderful.

I checked out their website last night and try some of the house specialties (I like real ales) if time permits.
    US Marine (1970-1999)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Visiting Scotland in April 2012 - Enjoy

Can I suggest you dont try to see everything in Scotland in one visit as that way you will see a lot but can not remember it all! Scotland is not very big but the terrain makes it seem bigger.

You can easily spend days exploring Edinburgh alone. Look at a few selected places - many good suggestions here. Best of all you will want to return.

I appreciate I can drive to Scotland in a few hours so can get there a lot but I am sure you can find excuses to see the "Old Country"!!!

Please note Collander is better known as Callandar especially on sign posts!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Visiting Scotland in April 2012 - Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Can I suggest you dont try to see everything in Scotland in one visit as that way you will see a lot but can not remember it all! Scotland is not very big but the terrain makes it seem bigger.

This is my third trip to Scotland and the primary focus will be on the Highlands, with about 3 days in Edinburgh.

I know I can't see or do everything so I plan my trips (anywhere) using a triage approach: Priority 1 are things I WANT to see or do; Priority 2 are things I'd LIKE to see or do if there is time; Priority 3 are targets of opportunity in the event I've done 1 and 2 or can't do them for some reason.

There is always something I miss for some reason but that gives me a good excuse for another trip. In 2013 I'll be returning to spend some time in the Borders (clan gathering). I'd like to see Stirling on this trip (missed on both previous trips) but since I'll probably return for the 2014 Gathering I may put it off again until then.
    Last edited by Sir William; 18th December 11 at 06:53 AM.
    US Marine (1970-1999)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123