X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diced hose....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Diced hose....

Sorry if this is off topic, but I have a question. Can one put a knit cuff (like Matt's wife does) on a pair of diced hose? For example, could a pair of hose have dicing and then have a top/cuff that is a cable knit patter (NOT diced)?

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Tartan View Post
    Sorry if this is off topic, but I have a question. Can one put a knit cuff (like Matt's wife does) on a pair of diced hose? For example, could a pair of hose have dicing and then have a top/cuff that is a cable knit patter (NOT diced)?
    One could do such a thing, certainly. I'm not sure I'd like the way it looked, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by M. A. C. Newsome View Post
    One could do such a thing, certainly. I'm not sure I'd like the way it looked, though.
    Lol. It was more an academic question. I guess a person COULD do anything. Perhaps a better question would be whether it has ever been done? I can't imagine it would look very good, but just kind of wondered.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always associate Diced Hose with the Army (though I know they have a long civilian history too) and here is how Army hose look. I never thought the turnovers looked too narrow... for whatever reason, anything the Army does looks "right" to me!

Interestingly, diced hose with plain turnover cuffs appear in The Highlanders of Scotland, the uniform of the 79th New York, and in certain vintage photos:

Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by M. A. C. Newsome View Post
    CMcG,
    It looks like you are actually turning them over too far, which is also why the pattern does not match.
    I agree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    That is exactly what I was thinking. I've heard horror stories about the J. Higgins diced hose, how have you found the quality of them?
    Me too. I have never purchased anything from them, nor do I ever plan to! I am quite comfortable with my wee 'family' of chosen companies to do business with in regards to my Highland wardrobe.

Cheers,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, Richard! When in doubt for certain, specific things regarding Highland attire, look to the Army for guidance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by creagdhubh View Post
    Me too. I have never purchased anything from them, nor do I ever plan to! I am quite comfortable with my wee 'family' of chosen companies to do business with in regards to my Highland wardrobe.

Cheers,
    I agree. Once I find somplace that is good and reputable, I stop shopping around.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, no pictures yet, but I've two pairs of diced hose, one "triced" IoS from SkyHighland OUtfitters and the other in ancient green and blue (to match my ancient Douglas and MacDonald kilts) from John at Keltoi (great value, high quality for the price IMHO). Each pair is as described designed to be worn with a single turnover cuff of exactly one vertical pattern repeat---any more or less and they actually begin looking almost comical. Good news is that both pairs are of heavyweight enough yarn that there is still enough bulk to the turnover to be able to appreciably see the difference, kind of halfway between the thinner versions and the buly hose like piper's or Lewis hose. My tendency is to roll up my flashes one turn or more so that I do not have excess flash length hanging below the slightly shorter turnover, just enough flash to see maybe a half inch of the fabric part and another half inch of the frayed tip. Any more an it does exaggerate the relative shortness of the diced hose turnovers.

Far NW Corner of Washington State, USA (48° 45' 51.5808" N / -122° 30' 36.6228" W)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ForresterModern View Post
    Sorry, no pictures yet,
    :crap:

Quote Originally Posted by ForresterModern View Post
    but I've two pairs of diced hose, one "triced" IoS from SkyHighland OUtfitters and the other in ancient green and blue (to match my ancient Douglas and MacDonald kilts) from John at Keltoi (great value, high quality for the price IMHO). Each pair is as described designed to be worn with a single turnover cuff of exactly one vertical pattern repeat---any more or less and they actually begin looking almost comical. Good news is that both pairs are of heavyweight enough yarn that there is still enough bulk to the turnover to be able to appreciably see the difference, kind of halfway between the thinner versions and the buly hose like piper's or Lewis hose.
    Eagerly anticipating photos!
    [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]T. E. ("TERRY") HOLMES[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][I]proud descendant of the McReynolds/MacRanalds of Ulster & Keppoch, Somerled & Robert the Bruce.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]"Ah, here comes the Bold Highlander. No @rse in his breeks but too proud to tug his forelock..." Rob Roy (1995)[/I][/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast