X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Diced hose....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Diced hose....

I have 2 pair of the Higgins diced hose which I wear a total of 5 or 6 times a year. Yes they are half the price of custom hose, but I have found them most servicable and comfortable. After use, I hand wash them and lay them flat to dry. Fortunately they fitted me well when purchased , but I would not be pulling hard on them, to stretch higher on the leg, if they were a bit short, as I could see them not fairing well. Overall for the price is reasonable and I am happy with the wear I get from them
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

Winfield, MO (originally from NE Scotland)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by creagdhubh View Post
    Me too. I have never purchased anything from them, nor do I ever plan to! I am quite comfortable with my wee 'family' of chosen companies to do business with in regards to my Highland wardrobe.

Cheers,
    I've only ordered from them once, but John was great to deal with and shipping was very fast (albeit being just the state next door)

Scotty55 is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And they aren't inexpensive either, expect to pay $140.00 and up! That's why I still wear solid colors.

Scotty55

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Piece work mag. jan./feb. 2011 has a pattern for a recreation Gordon Highlanders diced sock, I have a friend that thought the pattern was quite simple(her words) the cuff is al wrong ,but she has had no trouble converting them for me.
    NOTE
    the pattern is ment for two needles, knitted in the flat, has a seam from the toe to the top and as my friend said "the weight is wrong, she will knit them with a more durable yarn."
    P.S.
    My friend is a 70 yr. old german woman from occupied Berlin who knits to makes a living.
    I don't know how to type this but she seems to have a special place in her heart for kilted men.I was told she was the one for this job by my local kniting club( all 50 or older, yes I joined) She rembers scottish solidiers in Berlin
    after the war as a young woman with what can only be said as heart felt admeration, (you should hear the stories as we knit, it's the highlite of my week.)She told me that marled yarn( a combination of two colors) can be handmade,but for me was not the way to go.($) She is halfway done and they look good, the contrast with the 3 colors is sharp but cool.
    All n' all a good place to start for people looking for diced hose.
    P.P.S.
    Your local V.F.W. is a good place to look for kniters,who like to try somthing new to knit.

P.P.P.S.
    I dont know how to make this pattern available to all,please help.

Winfield, MO (originally from NE Scotland)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post it as a pdf?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by M. A. C. Newsome View Post
    CMcG,
    It looks like you are actually turning them over too far, which is also why the pattern does not match.
    Perhaps my hose are too large then. If I rolled them over less far, they would be too high. In order to get the pattern to line up and keep them at the right height, I think I would actually need to roll them under themselves i.e. double them up... as can be seen in the picture I posted, the cuff has only one diamond in a solid field.

I'm with Zardoz though, the skinny cuff still looks strange to me Maybe I'll try it again when I get back to Canada and have those hose available to me again.

Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    That is exactly what I was thinking. I've heard horror stories about the J. Higgins diced hose, how have you found the quality of them?
    The quality seems quite acceptable to me. Not too thick, but not thin either. For the once or twice per year that I might wear them, I'm confident that they will last a long time.
    Last edited by CMcG; 24th December 11 at 04:32 AM.
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty55 View Post
    And they aren't inexpensive either, expect to pay $140.00 and up! That's why I still wear solid colors.

Scotty55
    No, they are not inexpensive, but just FYI, they don't have to be quite as expensive as you think, either.

The price for completely custom made diced hose from the STM gift shop starts at $110. This is for custom dyed colors, and knit to your measurements. When you consider that, I think it's a real bargain.

As has already been pointed out, J. Higgins has diced hose for only $60. These are not custom made, so you have to be content with their stock colors and sizes, and I believe they are nylon, not wool. (Or a nylon-rich blend, their web site does not say). No, they are not the same quality as the more expensive made-to-measure hose, but that's also why they cost half as much.

My point being that you don't have to spend $140 either way to get a pair of decent diced hose.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cable scot View Post
    Piece work mag. jan./feb. 2011 has a pattern for a recreation Gordon Highlanders diced sock...

P.P.P.S.
    I dont know how to make this pattern available to all,please help.
    There's not a way, since the publication is copyright. The back issue can be purchased for ten dollars from their Web site. As a bonus, you get Anne Carroll Gilmour's balmoral bonnet.

The magazine usually has dibs on publication of the patterns for a couple of years.
    Ken Sallenger - apprentice kiltmaker, journeyman curmudgeon,
    gainfully unemployed systems programmer

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234