X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question What to do???

Hello all,

It’s been awhile. I have an interesting question for the Lot. I have been invited to a wedding on St. Patties Day, and I have been asked to kilt up for the event. I was thinking about wearing a Bottle Green PC, Bruce Mod Kilt, and Bottle Green Hoes with red garters. I was also thinking of… possibly wearing a cravat as a tie. Question is… Is this acceptable? And if so, what color cravat? Do I stay with the 3 button waistcoat? Or do I go with the 5 button waistcoat? I have no idea what to do in this case.

Thanks for any input.
    Tom

Chirs is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: What to do???

What are the other guests asked to wear, and what time of day is the event? Your suggested wear is sounding pretty formal.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Time spent in reconnaissance is seldom waisted", one of the few things the military taught me that has stood me in good stead for the rest of my life, thus far anyway!

So you have been asked----by some one in the know?

What you need to know is:-

What exactly would they like you to wear, kilt attire wise?
    What time of day is the wedding?
    What are the rest of the guests expected to wear? Formal? Smart? Casual?(try to avoid the splitting of hairs with these basic definitions)
    Are you a principal guest? Family, important friend? Or, a rather less important friend?

You may wish to discuss the options----the traditional Scots version-----kilted attire adjustments for weather----- and local preferences etc..

Until you have answers to those basic questions, no one can really advise you with any authority. Time is on your side, so get searching for those important answers. You may want that extra time to order that "essential" new something that may be required!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 18th December 11 at 12:13 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for trying to get a better picture. It will be in the afternoon, around 1500. And she asked if I would pipe for it as people came to the chapal (as a friend). I said sure..... As for tunes???? she had no clue, and is leaving that up to me. As for dress, her Man to be showed her a picture of a PC, and she found out it comes in other colors... I asked her what she wanted.. and got the response.. "As long as it looks good." thats when all blazes came loose. I have been banging my head against the wall... so I took the liberty( interesting word... too bad DC doesent understand it...) anyways... To come up with a dress that is formal, but alittle less then the wedding party. Hence the cravat. Or do I go with an Argyle. I dont know. I do know the groom and the other guys ate in full tails.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well alright we have some information to work on. So through my traditional Highland Scots eyes I would advise no PC as the wedding is clearly during the day. As you are piping I think a black barathea, silver buttoned argyll and four in hand tie(not a bow or one of those dreadful ruche tings). In truth it would be more traditional for a piper to wear a tweed argyll for this sort of event that appears not to be going too far, down the formal route, but I am adjusting my advice a tad to take into account a possible need to "over dress" a tad, due to your local conditions!

Avoid like the plaque, those dreadful ghillie brogues and those even more dreadful "semi dress" sporran things. Good well shone up black shoes and a black day sporran will do nicely.

Just my thoughts and shoot me down in flames if you wish. Have fun!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

davidg is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post

I think Jock is spot on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very well..

Just a thought with the tweed... If I go with lavot green, should I still ware the Bruce Mod? or go with the Bruce Anc.? I have both, To me the Tweed goes better with the ancient. Thats my 2cents. And Jock.. by all means... let loose. Ho harm.. no foul here. I'm the one asking.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TBruce View Post
    Very well..

Just a thought with the tweed... If I go with lavot green, should I still ware the Bruce Mod? or go with the Bruce Anc.? I have both, To me the Tweed goes better with the ancient. Thats my 2cents. And Jock.. by all means... let loose. Ho harm.. no foul here. I'm the one asking.
    Assuming they both fit properly, then wear the tartan with the hue that you like the most.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Best Advice You'll Get Is Right Here...

Well alright we have some information to work on. So through my traditional Highland Scots eyes I would advise no PC as the wedding is clearly during the day. As you are piping I think a black barathea, silver buttoned argyll and four in hand tie(not a bow or one of those dreadful ruche tings). In truth it would be more traditional for a piper to wear a tweed argyll for this sort of event that appears not to be going too far, down the formal route, but I am adjusting my advice a tad to take into account a possible need to "over dress" a tad, due to your local conditions!

Avoid like the plaque, those dreadful ghillie brogues and those even more dreadful "semi dress" sporran things. Good well shone up black shoes and a black day sporran will do nicely.

What Jock said, in spades. I agree that the black Argyll is the better bet for wear in the USA. As far as tunes go, try to avoid "Danny Boy" and "The Fields of Athenry". "The Star of County Down" a fine tune, if you can play it on the pipes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would be a good fit here too. You know it well, my young friend!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast