X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what to do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what to do?

My new kilt came by fedex yesterday and between when I ordered and when I received it I've lost about 2" off my gut. So what can I do to make my kilt fit me. I should note that It's mid grade kilt ie. machine stiched,16oz new wool,8yd ,made in scotland,so while not an heirloom kilt ,it is good for kicking around in winter.

Chirs is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: what to do?

Well, there is only one thing to do: eat lots!! It is a lucky thing this has happened at Christmas time, there is so much to eat and everyone else will be doing it too so you won't look out of place.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know where you are, but there are kiltmakers spread over the whole of the world's inhabited surface, most of whom can help you. You can also move the buckles/ straps yourself - there are threads here if you do some judicious searching.

I wish you well, and congratulations on the weight loss. The kilt can be adjusted but your health cannot otherwise be!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before altering anything, write to the supplier. Maybe something can be worked out between you. You are not the first to order a kilt in the wrong size.

Regards

Chas

davidg is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First thing is not to panic. Second thing is to check the measurement of the kilt against the measurement you gave the kilt maker (it might actually be made to the wrong size). Third thing is to do what Chas suggests, and contact the supplier

Failing all else a local kilt maker can easily adjust the kilt for you and if you can't find a local kilt maker you will be well guided here in order to do it yourself. Simply don't attempt that without the right advice though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could also consider moving the buckles. There have been articles on the forum about this before if you do a search. I believe Barb T had an input in one. A handy option should you put weight on again at a later date, then it's quite simple to reverse the process.

Winfield, MO (originally from NE Scotland)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it's pleated to the stripe, the moving the buckles will likely be easy... Belt loops if any will be off center though (but usuakly covered by your jacket)

If pleated to the sett the sett probably wont be aligned at the back... Most people probably wont notice though...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wear a sweater over a hoodie and tuck them both in.
    --dbh

When given a choice, most people will choose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to you all.
    the kilt was made to the corect measurements,but four months later I'm not.
    I should have thought of this when my girl said we needed to loose weight, I could have stayed on the couch.
    As I'm living in northern Wisconsin the hoodie / sweater combo. may be the way to go for the next five months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cable scot View Post
    Thanks to you all.
    the kilt was made to the corect measurements,but four months later I'm not.
    I should have thought of this when my girl said we needed to loose weight, I could have stayed on the couch.
    As I'm living in northern Wisconsin the hoodie / sweater combo. may be the way to go for the next five months.
    If it was a couple of inches, Mr. Scot, you can get the kilt belt extenders that can give up to, I believe it was, about 2 - 2.5 inches. If it is more, then an alteration can help up to a little more. I had an 8 yd kilt from Lochcarron some years ago when I had my retinas in both eyes detached several times each plus a stroke while I was in the Army. I had to stay immobile (?) for over a month. My waistline spread out like a wildfire on a windy prairie. At that time I hadn't heard about those extenders, so I took it to a very reputable tailor lady in St. Louis where I lived and she "let it out" as far as she could without having to simply sell it and buy another. It was snug but it was a very nice fit. Well, then I started losing weight - you know how the Army is about physical fitness training - and I lost so much that I had to sell it and buy a smaller one. Life certainly is uncertain and quite un-nice at some point in our existence. It isn't an insurmountable task. Just keep with XMTS and someone else will give their take on it and probably they will have their experiences to share. With life comes experience, and that at times with pain and perplexity. Hooah!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast