X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Burns Night 2012, Garrettsville (Portage Co.)

My world has recently returned to normal (long story) and I'll be hosting a Burns Supper at our home in Garrettsville January 28th, 2012.

I've sent several invitations by PM and have a few accepted and a few declined due to prior engagements (mostly other Burns Nights) and one lucky fellow was going to be in Florida!

Afraid I may have missed a few in my search for local members and wanting to maximize the concentration of kilted rabble in my sleepy little town, I'll post it openly here. If you are free to come to Garrettsville, please post or PM me so I know how many to plan for.
    I wish I believed in reincarnation. Where's Charles Martel when you need him?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Burns Night 2012, Garrettsville (Portage Co.)

Debra and I plan to be there with bells on! Having never attended a Burns Supper, has our gracious hostess established the "dress code" for her dinner guests as of yet? Also, will you be explaining your apparent fondness for Charles Martel at some point during the evening?

Looks like we are about 75 minutes from you. (My brother-in-law lives in Vienna, so most of the trip will be familiar territory.)
    The Rev. William B. Henry, Jr.
    "With Your Shield or On It!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Burns Night 2012, Garrettsville (Portage Co.)

WB, might I impose upon you to recite the Selkirk Grace at our dinner?

My next door neighbor is a transplanted scotsman and plans to be in attendance. I'll be asking him to recite the Address to a Haggis. I'm working on a Burns poem and I'll be shortly asking another member here to participate, also.

As for Dress Code, I plan to wear an Argyll jacket and tie. There will be little more than a half dozen people, so an excessive level of formality may be stiffling. Besides, I seldom pull off the "stodgy" thing well.

I must warn you, though, that I may poach the idea of claret hose from you. My kilt is a lot of green (MacKay) and I really liked the way it went with yours.

From Vienna, get on SR 82 and keep going west. You'll come to a town called Center of the World where 82 makes a right and SR 5 continues straight. Make the right. Continue on 82 until you arrive in the booming metropolis of G'Ville. Population about 2,500. Our phone book, with yellow pages, is thinner than a deck of playing cards!
    I wish I believed in reincarnation. Where's Charles Martel when you need him?