X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Semper Fi!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Semper Fi!

I have a Leatherneck Tartan as well as Marine themed buckle, sigan, and kilt pin. I wear my minature medals on my PC. I bleed Marine green. But that is me, I've always been like that.

What suprises me that how many other Marines post here, especially compared to other (US) services and that other countries.

Step up vets! Tell us about your service and how it relates to / is expessed by kilting.

Steve Wilson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Semper Fi!

I'm 25 and a U.S. Navy veteran. I currently wear a U.S. Navy tartan with matching flashes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in the Army (14.6 years so far)...but I have to ask...why is this thread in the "General Celtic Music Talk" category?
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -- Thomas Paine

Scottish-American Military Society Post 1921

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering I've never knowingly been in that topic. I have no idea.
    Maybe one of the moderators can move this to General Topics - please.

And to Txscotsman:
    Fair winds (that don't "Marilyn' your kilt) and following seas.
    I am a Navy brat. My father is a retired CPO (LIC) and a plank holder for the USS Guadalcanal LPH7.

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi -- I was in the Navy (US Vietnam Vet) and my son is also currently in the Navy. I don't much care for the Edzel Navy tartan so don't wear it. I was almost sent TAD to the Marine Corps (as a hospital corpsman) and perhaps then could have worn their tartan but alas.... I don't think there is any connection to my service and wearing kilts except perhaps that wearing a Donald Duck suit in public for many years prepares one to be "oddly" (not typically) dressed. This is a great question and I would love to see it put to the members in the form of a "survey" where folks could check off their military affiliations if any but I don't know how to set such a thing up. Moderators Help???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

proud former U.S.Navy radioman here. 1955 to 1961. I wear my clan tartan but not the Navy tartan

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, cool. All the Marine Taxi Service guys showed up for the party. (Nothing like a little friendly, interservice joking. We can tease each other, but don't let someone else try it!)

Welcome, jarhead. Semper fi and Oooh-rah. Been over 30 years since I wore the uniform, but once a Marine . . . .

My dad was a Seabee in WW II, and my step-grandson/step-great-nephew (my daughter and her husband raised his nephew) is currectly at sea on an aircraft carrier somewhere in the Indian Ocean or . . . who knows.

My step-son is just starting his own stint in Army ROTC, so you can see that our family is supportive of and thankful for the service of all. Welcome aboard.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

From Michigan, USA. Currently in Lancashire, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I served 22 years in the U.S. Army. I have, and often wear, an Army tartan kilt. I was (still feel like I am) a Paratrooper so I wear quite a bit of maroon (beret color) accessories including my Paratrooper's balmoral.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mechanic for a Marine taxi here. USN Machinest Mate, Viet Nam era. Never went ashore in that conflict, but have a tremendous amount of respect for the Marines we carried.

It has nothing to do with my enjoyment of kilts other than being an experience that expanded my thinking.
    Last edited by Taj; 2nd January 12 at 09:06 AM. Reason: added comments

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When the time (and money) comes, I will be getting a kilt in the Navy Edzell tartan. I left active duty (enlisted) as a CTR2; 6 years reserve officer in Chaplain Corps (terminal rank LT).

I am curious though: I understand the great pride exhibited by Marines (and rightly so), but considering the Marine Corps is limited in size (compared to other military branches), I have always found it curious the amount of USMC themed "bric-a-brack" compared to the other services. Not just kilt merchandise. Motorcycle key chains, vest expanders, etc. Lots of USMC, relatively little Navy and Army, and almost non-existent USAF and USCG. Hey, I'm just as proud of my naval service. What gives with vendors' and manufacturers' fascination with USMC themed articles? Logic would dictate it is (by percentage) a smaller "target audience." Do they really believe that Marines will spend more money on such things as other service members?

No complaint against Marines, not in a million years. Just always found this "skewed" marketing strategy rather odd.
    The Rev. William B. Henry, Jr.
    "With Your Shield or On It!"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast