X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Victoria Kilt Night Proposal: March 19 or 20

Guess who's coming to town?

2 guesses... And it ain't Santa Claus.

My wife and I will be coming to Canada in March and we will be spending some time both in Victoria and Vancouver. I just wanted to see if any of you gents might have some time to meet and perhaps share a pint (or three). int: Please post what your availability looks like... We will be in town on March 19 and 20, so either evening is fine. I'll adapt myself to whatever is most convenient for most people.

Background (optional reading):

Our trip has two, very intertwined purposes. As many of you may already know from other threads, we have lived in Japan for about ten years, and my father's illness has prompted us to come and visit, and give my mom a hand with some things since she's taking care of the house, daily affairs, AND dad now... And after 10 years of living and working in Japan, we are seriously considering making a permanent move back to Canada in order to be closer to my (and my wife's) parents as they get older. An important part of this trip is to set up networking meetings and informational interviews with people and companies I would consider working with. I obtained my MBA specializing in Global Management from an American college last year, and we are hoping that we can leverage that as well as our extensive experiences abroad to attract the right position for me with a good company.

Our itinerary: We will be flying into Vancouver from Tokyo on March 16, doing some networking in the city that day and perhaps the next, depending on peoples' availabilities, then spending a few days with my wife's family in Abbotsford, and then taking the ferry to Victoria on Monday, March 19 (late morning). Our schedule in Victoria is open at this point. Bonnie has one friend living there who she'll want to visit, but that's about all. I may be trying to arrange some networking meetings as well during the day, again, depending on peoples' schedules, but I expect evenings shall be completely free. We are then flying out of Victoria via Westjet to Calgary on the morning of the 21st (Wed). The balance of our visit will be spent in Edmonton, Calgary, and Lethbridge, with the most time being spent in Lethbridge with my parents.

Additionally, while we are visiting, IF you might happen to know anyone with whom I might want to speak and meet in person in the way of finding employment (in any of the places we will be visiting OR beyond), or someone who might be in a position to consider taking me on at a later date, I would be most grateful to make their acquaintance! (More info about me, my skills, experience, etc, are available via PM. Also, if you ARE in a position to give any info in this regard, please send me a personal message rather than responding in the thread).

Cheers, and I hope to be able to see some of the fine rabble that makes XMTS great!

JD
    Last edited by CDNSushi; 4th January 12 at 07:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Victoria Kilt Night Proposal: March 19 or 20

Quote Originally Posted by CDNSushi View Post
    . Our itinerary: We will be flying into Vancouver from Tokyo on March 21, doing some networking in the city that day and perhaps the next, depending on peoples' availabilities, then spending a few days with my wife's family in Abbotsford, and then taking the ferry to Victoria on Monday, March 19 (late morning). JD
    Well, I am really looking forward to meeting you and your wife. I am curious about the itinerary....perhaps this is the result of crossing the dateline. How can you fly into Vancouver on the 21st, spend a few days in Abbotsford, and then arrive in Victoria on March 19.....isn't that going backwards?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KiltedKnome View Post
    Well, I am really looking forward to meeting you and your wife. I am curious about the itinerary....perhaps this is the result of crossing the dateline. How can you fly into Vancouver on the 21st, spend a few days in Abbotsford, and then arrive in Victoria on March 19.....isn't that going backwards?
    Yes barring the abnormal relativistic effects I'm in Vancouver and might be able to get away to Victoria. Especially if some nice person has a spare seat in the car.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oops! Arriving in Vancouver March 16 (not 21). My typo. We are LEAVING Victoria on March 21.

Our itinerary should have read as follows:

Fri March 16 - Arrive in Vancouver (a.m.)
    Sat March 17 - Vancouver/Abbotsford
    Sun March 18 - Abbotsford
    Mon March 19 - Catch ferry from Vancouver to Victoria (a.m.)
    Tue March 20 - Victoria
    Wed March 21 - Fly out of Victoria to Calgary

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry I will miss you this time Jim. My next visit to family in Victoria is planned for the 16th to 22nd May to take in the Victoria Games on 19/20 May, but perhaps if you move back to Canada permanently we shall meet up some time.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

CopperNGold is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your dedication to your family is so very admirable, Sushi. I hope all goes well for you and your family. Good luck with your work prospects, although I will not be able to meet you and your lovely wife on this trip. Next time, hopefully!

kiltedwolfman

Kilts....booze....night....I'm in!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Count me in as well...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I might be able to make Victoria BUT if you would like to hook up while you are in Abby, I'm just minutes down the road in Langley. Lots of good pubs in this area. Let me know. Also lots of guys are familiar with my local so maybe we could persuade them to come out if they can't make the island.
    Gentleman of Substance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mikey View Post
    I might be able to make Victoria BUT if you would like to hook up while you are in Abby, I'm just minutes down the road in Langley. Lots of good pubs in this area. Let me know. Also lots of guys are familiar with my local so maybe we could persuade them to come out if they can't make the island.
    That's more doable for me. Please keep me in the loop.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast