X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Do you feel safe?

Quote Originally Posted by azwildcat96 View Post
    ???Did I miss something???
    You must have.

If you don't feel like I do that's fine. I don't feel the need to compare this forum to another. What if we compared it to XMTS a year ago.
    Also let's keep to forum rule #2 and not disparage the women of this or any other forum.
    I don't seek approval from others but I do expect to have a conversation with out having a negative remark hurled my way.

It reminds me of a U.S. Political rally with the small group of people from the other party shouting over the discourse. Do they think they will convince anyone of anything? Republicans have their shindigs and the democrats have theirs. Why would a Dem or Rep go to the others party just to tell them they are foolish? What would be accomplished?
    I may be in a minority of this forum who has lost their joy to be here but I KNOW there are other who feel as I do.
    Let YOUR utterance be always with graciousness, seasoned with salt, so as to know how you ought to give an answer to each one.
    Colossians 4:6

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seem that I have read a few posts on this forum lately complaining about those who would say only certain people should wear the kilt, or that the kilt must only be worn a certain way.

What I have not seen are posts claiming that only certain people should wear the kilt or that the kilt must only be worn a certain way.

Granted I don't read every single thread on here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CDNSushi View Post
    That may be, but THIS mod is very confused what you are talking about here.

The purpose of the "Comments and Suggestions" forum is as printed above:

Broadly speaking, there are many things that would classify as being suggestions, but I'm rather confused here. Actually, I'm doubly confused.

If your post was meant to simply be a comment, then can you please give a bit more information as to why you might not feel "safe."

If you post was meant to be a suggestion, then it would be most helpful to know what the forum staff could actually do to improve. You've quoted the Mission Statement of XMTS, so I get the impression that somehow you feel that the forum is falling short of its goals. That being the case, it doesn't benefit us to simply bemoan that sentiment without having some actionable objectives for the future. If this is indeed what you are driving at, then what, if anything, can the XMTS staff do to ameliorate the situation?

If this is a comment or a suggestion for a membership at large (i.e. the rabble) then I suspect that this thread may be better suited in the Miscellaneous area, because threads that are posted HERE are generally looked at by the staff in terms of what WE can do to change or improve the forum.
    I just want people to remember to be encouraging. And this thread is a reminder to be upbuilding and to remember the old saying. If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.
    What can the mods do? Just as they are… set a good example. Is mod action needed? No, it's not that serious.
    And I put this thread here because it's not just the mods who look here it's also where people who care about the condition of this forum come to look.

If you don't feel what I'm saying shrug and move on. But for those who feel similar to myself or understand where I'm coming from go forward from here and make it your mission to be encouraging and to ignore the negativity that is part of this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by M. A. C. Newsome View Post
    It seem that I have read a few posts on this forum lately complaining about those who would say only certain people should wear the kilt, or that the kilt must only be worn a certain way.

What I have not seen are posts claiming that only certain people should wear the kilt or that the kilt must only be worn a certain way.

Granted I don't read every single thread on here.
    I don't follow you. It's been a bad week at work and I have been sipping on my scotch tonight.
    Let YOUR utterance be always with graciousness, seasoned with salt, so as to know how you ought to give an answer to each one.
    Colossians 4:6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are a few off center people in this world who sometimes worry me but I certainly feel safe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

>shrug<
    Mister McGoo

A Kilted Lebowski--Taking it easy so you don't have to.

TurboKittie is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still pretty much a n00b here, and female at that...

Yes, I feel comfortable here for the most part. There are some who post with opinions that differ from my own, but I try not to take those opinions personally, as I realize that they probably aren't directed at me that way. I don't contribute a whole lot, because I learn so much by reading posts of others here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with the OP that the general tone of the forum has taken a "less positive" turn of late, but that said, this is still one of the nicest places on the web.

Let's not be too precious, but at the same time let's be supportive, inclusive, polite, AND FUN. We're here because we ENJOY traditional and modern kilts, let's not split and divide, let's unite around our shared appreciation.

Kilt on, and be excellent to each other.

ith:

Winfield, MO (originally from NE Scotland)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MeghanWalker View Post

(and I will have all of them know that my candles are awesome! And YES, I DO use crayons for color! *hands on hips*)
    You probably crayon outside the lines too don't you...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am always suspicious of an organization that would have me as a member, but - yes, I feel "safe" here. The members here are usually informative and polite. And fun!
    Last edited by ElCabong; 13th January 12 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Left out "fun".

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cowher View Post
    I don't follow you. It's been a bad week at work and I have been sipping on my scotch tonight.
    What I am saying is that it seems like I am reading an increasing number of posts from people who feel that there are a lot of others here on the forum saying either that only certain people have the "right" to wear the kilt, and/or if you are going to wear the kilt, it must be done in a certain way and no other.

What I have not seen myself are actual posts from people expressing those views that others are complaining about. Either I'm just missing those negative posts, or I am seeing them and simply not reading them the way that some are.

I do not think I am particularly thick-skinned. But I do tend to read things with a charitable attitude and I prefer to assume good intentions on the parts of others until they demonstrate to me otherwise.

All that being said, though, it does seem to me that a straw man is being set up. I just don't see what the fuss is about.

I think CDNSushi's suggestion that you address specifics is a good one. It really helps to know just what we are talking about instead of having to assume or imagine.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast