X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I'm going to glide (well, more of a hybrid between a glide and a shuffle) on Saturday.

So, one week out, and I had a very productive day in the gym. I'll be nice and tired tomorrow for my throwing practice, which means on game day, when fresh, I'll knock it out of the park (old weightlifter logic, wear yourself down one week out and make your openers when beat up, so when you are fresh your openers feel like marshmallows).

Hit a clean and jerk of 117.5kg / approx 260lbs
    Hit a backsquat of 2x185kg / approx 410lbs
    Last edited by Joshua; 6th April 13 at 01:10 PM.
    Have fun and throw far. In that order, too. - o1d_dude

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well last night after lifting I ended up marching at our Military Tattoo representing Clan Davidson. From 7:00 until 10:30 I was on my feet. Then we went to the pub, which was so packed I had to stand at the bar to eat my dinner and drink a couple beers. When I woke up this morning I felt like a squashed cat... and then I went to go throw.

Nothing to write home about. Got some pointers on hammer and hit over 60 twice, just by keeping it over my right foot more. I still need to open up.

Threw 56 and while I didn't foul, didn't get any major big numbers (19' to 22' and everything in between). Fouled a lot on the 28. No clue why. Just wasn't feeling it today.

Got a good 70* crank on a caber.

Threw the stone well though. Got a 32' throw with a 16' stone.

I'm just tired. I'm going to do some light throwing on Tuesday and Thursday before Dunedin... all form work just to stay loose for the week - and stay out of the weightroom.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that I do better with a 5-day break before a big Games. Then again, I'm 56 years old, you will probably be fine with 2-3. BTW, nothing wrong with 22 feet with the 56 pounder!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dunedin 2013 Done.

This one-year log can now close (but I don't think it's gonna).

We threw Sheaf and WOB - I got 3rd place in WOB with an 11' throw, but I missed my first attempt at 10' because I misjudged by arc and hit the bottom of the bar. We won't talk about sheaf. :-)
    Then took a 2 hour break for sheepdogs to take the field, then all the police/fire had their tug of wars, and lunch.
    Then we threw caber after such a long break. As usual since I don't get to train caber, I fared poorly (but more on that later).
    Then we got to throw HWFD which I sucked at (I think an 18' throw or therebouts)
    LWFD which I took gold in with a 48-49' throw...
    then we took another long break for the sheepdogs to make a second run.
    Finally, we went on to Heavy Hammer, and after our first throws we were interrupted by the closing ceremonies for another hour.
    I went on to get a season PR in heavy hammer (61' 7") for silver, even though I literally threw once, rested for an hour, and threw two more times.
    Threw the stone last, got 24' and change on a 16lbs stone.

3rd place overall b's.

But my reward, someone broke a heavy caber, leaving a 10'-12' stick that is way too easy to turn, but it's nice and heavy which will give me good "pick and walk" practice. Bonus it fits in my truck bed with only about 2' sticking out.

By the way, summer is finally here in Florida. I'm really, really burned to a crisp and absolutely wiped out. We were at high-to-mid 80's all day today.
    Last edited by Joshua; 14th April 13 at 09:44 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, my above commentary is not to disparage the ad's or the athletes, or in any way reflect upon my performance today as an excuse.
    Last edited by Joshua; 14th April 13 at 09:43 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Practice caber!! *SCORE*!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok - I'm going to retire this thread and start a new training log... maybe even on a separate blog. My season is done, the last games is this weekend but I am not going to make it... I'd rather start my regroup, my post-mort, and be ready for when our season starts back up in fall.

Now that I've thrown again, I know what I need to work on. Please offer any criticism you can guys...

In the gym:
    Conditioning
    Rotational core work
    (Everything else is good, all "Move Heavy Stuff Fast" kinda work is my norm)

On the field:
    Continue to improve hammer, speed has been corrected, spin has been corrected (stay over right foot). Release is the only thing holding me back from 70+ feet in the heavy hammer.

Obtain and practice heavy weight for distance. Ya blew it Saturday with an event that you almost always take Gold in... and this is because while you were training the hell out of hammer (which you took silver in), stone (which you placed 4th in), and light weight (which you took gold in) you totally neglected your "good" events and they got rusty.

Learn double-spin.

Make height standards, even the makeshift "ropes over a treelimb" standards. You've got 25' height on sheaf and piss-poor aim.

Attend at least one throwing workshop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New Season / New Log: http://kiltedtosser.blogspot.com/

A word of warning, the introductory post has personal details that you might find uncomfortable (or humorous depending on your disposition for sadism), regarding some fairly sharp criticisms of myself - stuff I needed to get off my chest.

I'm officially closing this one.

Thanks guys for your input over this past year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    New Season / New Log: http://kiltedtosser.blogspot.com/

A word of warning, the introductory post has personal details that you might find uncomfortable (or humorous depending on your disposition for sadism), regarding some fairly sharp criticisms of myself - stuff I needed to get off my chest.

I'm officially closing this one.

Thanks guys for your input over this past year.
    Carry on, Joshua!... I'll drop in and take a look now and then.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617