X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Little Notes here as personal reminders.

Drill the single spin MSA for throws to stay consistent with your 56/28 for distance technique, it's working.
    Don't drill double-spins until after Dunedin. When you do, modify your MSA technique for the double spin (for consistency).

I'm a spinner, from here on out. A 360lbs spinner, but a spinner nonetheless.

Train more with the 42. It hurts less and the weight difference isn't enough to drastically affect your 56. (I had been avoiding the 42 I own, but today showed me I should be able to train it a bit more without affecting my 56).

In the weightroom: Focus on getting big weights overhead fast, more rack/block jerks. Keep at the heavy cleans and front squats. Do "some" pressing to keep the triceps strong.
    Have fun and throw far. In that order, too. - o1d_dude

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno...I throw a LOT of 42 for distance and it hasn't helped me much with my recent attempts at the 56. Now, for WOB, absolutely....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOB is precisely what I'm talking about. My implement is a handle on a swivel anyway so it's not worth it to train it as a distance implement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, haven't updated because I'm taking a little break after Sunday's throwing. I turned 35 on Tuesday and have been getting my relax on. I might throw tonight, I'm still on the fence somewhat about it. Saturday I'm definitely lifting weights, and Sunday I'm throwing with the other heathens on Easter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Felt strong in the gym today, but conditioning has taken a hit from the week or so off from any super strenuous activity. Couldn't find my knee sleeves so my patella tendon was being a little b'stard and I had to cut the squats short. Got home and found my sleeves so I feel a bit better. Throwing tomorrow will be much happier with my sleeves.

Cleans / Clean and Jerks: Started at 80kg, ended with a 115kg clean and jerk, and a 117.5kg clean (was just too wiped to jerk it).
    Clean Pulls: 2x3 @ 125kg
    Front Squats: 3x70kg, 90kg, 120kg (stopped here due to knees)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hate to flip/flop on throwing styles, but today I did glide because I wasn't feeling it on the spin, and consistently threw 31-33 feet as opposed to high 20's on the spin.

Threw the 28 quite a bit today, getting over 40 on every throw.

Hammer was where I made big improvements in form. I've not been throwing over 50' consistently with my plate-loaded hammer. Today I didn't throw under 50 once. I'm finally opening up at the finish, I need to open more but it's getting there... and my speed on winding is MUCH better thanks to changing my start (which a lot of people won't like but it just works better for me so they can sod it).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You aren't alone with that method of starting the hammer, Josh. I've seen a few guys use that same move in competition. If it feels comfortable, go for it.
    [FONT=comic sans ms]
    Marty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still not looking up on release and I'm letting go prematurely - I need to release higher. I'm still happy with my acceleration improvements.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fwiw: The low point on your wind is over your left foot which limits your final pull. Think about catching the hammer on the right side as far back as possible; this will require you to turn your shoulders to your right and look for the catch. Then keep the low point of the wind over your right foot, or slightly further to the right. On your final wind you will have a longer pull and lift.
    [FONT=comic sans ms]
    Marty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...what Marty just said.

regarding starting your hammer winds...do what works for you. We have a masters athlete here in Nor Cal who starts somewhat like you dol, and the current world Champ, Matt Vincent also starts like you do. So no worries.

glide vs. rotational stone.... if you're brutally strong and incredibly fast, the glide will probably work better for you. If you're a "technical" thrower, then the rotational stone will probably go farther. If you're a dork like me, then a shuffle will work better.

The thing about the rotational throw is that when you totally nail it, *Really* learn the technique then the rock will probably go farther than if you do the other styles. However, there's a lot less margin for error in the rotational throw. If you're a little bit off, you're scr3w3d. --> not so much with a glide or shuffle. Also take into account that rotational shotputters have to learn ONE event...rotational shotput, though they do a million standing throws (Braemar) too. You, on the other hand, have to learn shotput (stones) AND hammers AND weights AND wob AND sheaf AND caber.

KISS always seemed like the appropriate principle, here, and this is coming from a many-year discus thrower, which is a rotational throw.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast