X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Triskaidekaphobia - Joshua's Training

Tomorrow I "get back on that horse".

I am meeting, and training with some of my old strongman buddies, one of which is very successful trainer of athletes and gym owner Elliot Hulse. While there, I plan to pick his brain about building explosion specifically for highland games. I don't know what his rates are, but if it's in my own budget, chances are I will see if he can take me on as a client.

Throwing season starts tomorrow for Florida in Winter Haven (near Orlando), but I'm not ready yet. I know, I know, "You are never ready", and "You need to just do it", but this isn't my first horse race, dig? The last time I threw in a competition I just barely missed qualifying for the "A" athletes... I think it was 2009. If I come back and suck, I will never come back. Instead, I'm going to do it right.

I procrastinated all last year about getting back into the gym and doing a whole new kind of training, no more 300kg squats, 270kg deadlifts... but a 140kg (300lbs) clean, a 120kg (264lbs) snatch, 14ft in the 56 Over Bar, 60 feet in the 28 for distance, a 40" vertical jump, and all with a descending body weight... I am going to make this happen.

This year is upon us, and 2012 is the year I dedicate my body to competing in the games. 2013 is the year I will be ready for the whole Florida season.

Triskaidekaphobia is the fear of the number "13". When I was a kid in baseball and football, I insisted on the number 13 for my jerseys because an intellectual family friend taught me the word, and I thought it would be cool to have the unlucky number on my back (this is between 10yo and 12yo). Today, being Friday the 13th, makes it particularly fun for my proclamation.

Hopefully by this time next year, every athlete in Florida besides myself will have this disorder, and will only be able to conquer it by copious amounts of whiskey.
    Have fun and throw far. In that order, too. - o1d_dude

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Triskaidekaphobia - Joshua's Training

Nice write-up & looks like a bunch of great goals! Good Luck!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice post. Please update us in the near future with your progress.
    Good Luck!
    KD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would definitley be interested in seeing your training and progress posted here if you have the time.

You sound very motivated ........ I send my best thoughts for your success.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First day back training - DO WORK SON!

Breakfast - 1/2 cup each blueberries and cranberries, a tablespoon of Spirulina powder (blue-green algae), lemon juice and water into a blender with water. 2 eggs sunny side up, 3 strips of bacon. 16oz of coffee.

Training - 1 hour later
    Warmup with Kettlebell swings, Indian Clubs, jumping
    Powercleans - sets of 3 up to 95kg, singles up to 3x105kg
    Front Squats - sets of 3 up to 95kg, 3 singles each at 100 and 105kg
    Yoke Walk - 2x50ft at 340lbs, 1x50ft at 430lbs, 1x50ft at 520lbs (240kg or so)
    Box Jumps - 3x 21", 22", 23" 6x26"

Gonna sit down to a steak now. I have to move furniture tonight so I'm gonna rest while I can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*Excellent*!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, that last post was on the 14th. Now it's the 19th. Eyes are watching...LOL..

How about logging in the "Off-Season Training" thread?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan H View Post
    OK, that last post was on the 14th. Now it's the 19th. Eyes are watching...LOL..

How about logging in the "Off-Season Training" thread?
    Thanks for the reminder Alan.

I've been walking and doing a little bike riding, that workout was harder on me than I expected.

Expect an update on Saturday. As my DOMS go down, frequency will go up. I'm hoping for two gym days a week and one throwing day.

I didn't know there was an off-season training forum. If the mods see fit, please move this thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, the Off-Season Training thingy is just another post in this forum. A couple of us have been posting our workouts or training there. Kinda just bouncing ideas off each other.

Speaking of which, it's a good thing to heed what your body is telling you. If you're ready to lift again, you will. If you're still sore or feeling puny, better wait another day before lifting again. We all have at least on more injury in us but we may not have one more recovery.

Didn't you mean triskaidekaphilia? Always wore the number 13 on my team uniforms and such as well. Dunno why, just seemed to work out that way. Check out this website...Triskaidekaphilia.org

I think the guy who made the website experienced a run of bad luck. There's basically no content.
    Kit

'As a trainer my objective is not make you a version of me. My objective is to make you better than me.' - Paul Sharp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My own personal opinion.....anything out of the ordinary, counts. Did you go for a five mile bike ride? Log it. Whenever I go on a hike around here, I log it. It might not make it here on the "Off Season Training" thread, but I log it at NASGA.

There isn't a special "off season" forum, just an ongoing thread here in the Athletics forum. It's a pretty good cross=section. Yeah, we don't have pro's logging 600 pound deadlifts, but between o1d_dude and myself, you have two pretty good Masters (and 01d_dude has been at this for a while, now). eclarkhg is new, but comes from a very athletic background including some shot put. If we could get GGGP to log, that'd be cool too. Newbie chick logs workouts. I know what her general workout routine is, but she could tell us more. DetroitPete is pretty good at this stuff....we need to get him to log, too!

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast