X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Website Upgrade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Website Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Steve of Lansing View Post
    Matt,

I like the new setup, however there is one thing I'd change.

The picture of yourself, up at the top in the banner looks like you either have a migraine headache or just sat on something sharp.
    I couldn't disagree more. Every time I see that picture, I think to myself "Man- Now that's what a hard-working kiltmaker looks like." Very artistic and expressive shot.

Keep it, Matt.

P.S. The website looks awesome.

Easy to navigate, highly informative, all of the sections and features are well illustrated, it has a good beat, and you can dance to it. I give it a 97.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you still offer kilt-making using a customer's own material? I worked myself into a corner, having already ordered just about everything I need to make my own kilt, but now haven't the time nor inclination to carry on with the project. I'd love to have a kilt from the cloth I purchased, and would probably be more satisfied with something a professional could make, anyway. Drop me a line if this is still something you do.

Thanks!
    Jared Brus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Matt, the site looks fantastic! Excellent information, easily accessible format and great pictures. As the site is text heavy (in a good way) I find that the white text on a black ground, while it has graphic appeal, it also has the potential to create eye strain. That is my one criticism.
    "Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days." Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Ross View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. Every time I see that picture, I think to myself "Man- Now that's what a hard-working kiltmaker looks like." Very artistic and expressive shot.

Keep it, Matt.
    Yep, I really like that picture as well.

Thanks for the info on the Nevis cloth, Matt. If I ever scrounge up enough money to have a hiking kilt made I'll definitely consider going with something from the Nevis line. I haven't yet been able to get away from wearing a traditional kilt even for woods walking so a wool kilt with fabric protectant might be the perfect solution.
    Last edited by JRB; 16th January 12 at 04:51 PM.
    [B][U]Jay[/U][/B]
    [B]Clan Rose[/B]-[SIZE="2"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Constant and True[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"][I]"I cut a stout blackthorn to banish ghosts and goblins; In a brand new pair of brogues to ramble o'er the bogs and frighten all the dogs " - D. K. Gavan[/I][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Ross View Post

Keep it, Matt.
    Yeah, I was just playing about that. It really is a nice shot.

The other stuff I said is true, though. A very well thought out and well executed website that's easy to use and still gives the kiltmaker a ton of info to keep the customer satisfied.

Well done, again! -Steve

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Site looks great, but I have to say I'm not a fan of the banner photo, either. I find it distracting...the popped-up collar...is this an antique shirt or are you in the middle of tying your tie. If you are in the middle of tying a tie, what stopped you...and why do you look like something tragic just happened...

Perhaps I read too many detective novels....
    Kilted Teacher and Wilderness Ranger and proud member of Clan Donald, USA
    Happy patron of Jack of the Wood Celtic Pub and Highland Brewery in beautiful, walkable, and very kilt-friendly Asheville, NC.
    New home of Sierra Nevada AND New Belgium breweries!

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrus View Post
    Do you still offer kilt-making using a customer's own material? I worked myself into a corner, having already ordered just about everything I need to make my own kilt, but now haven't the time nor inclination to carry on with the project. I'd love to have a kilt from the cloth I purchased, and would probably be more satisfied with something a professional could make, anyway. Drop me a line if this is still something you do.

Thanks!
    Jared Brus
    Yup. That's called CMT (cut, make and trim). I still offer that service, with the caveat that I need to approve the cloth first.
    http://newhousehighland.com/cmt.html

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RAF View Post
    Matt, the site looks fantastic! Excellent information, easily accessible format and great pictures. As the site is text heavy (in a good way) I find that the white text on a black ground, while it has graphic appeal, it also has the potential to create eye strain. That is my one criticism.
    That's actually a bit ironic, because when I opted to use white text on a black background (which was a feature of the previous version of the web site, as well), it was after reading various reviews of other web sites that specifically mentioned that white text on a black background was easier to read on a computer monitor. :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by M. A. C. Newsome View Post
    That's actually a bit ironic, because when I opted to use white text on a black background (which was a feature of the previous version of the web site, as well), it was after reading various reviews of other web sites that specifically mentioned that white text on a black background was easier to read on a computer monitor. :-)
    Perhaps it's just my eyes. Your site is very well thought out and good looking - I'm sure it will bring you the business you desire. Cheers!
    "Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days." Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks good Matt, and not surprisingly, with lots of historic information not typically found on retail sites.

A bit of feedback on the language of the selvage page, if I may?

The last line of text before the selvage photos says: " You can compare the quality of the selvages..."

I'm not sure that the photos really show the 'quality' of the selvages as they do the differences in selvages. And a complete novice may not be able to even see much difference without an accompanying photo by photo explanation of what they are looking at. The only one that appears significantly different to the untrained eye is the uneven line of the HOE traditional selvage. But, as we recently saw with Paulhenry's thread, Dalgleish can send out some pretty uneven material as well.

I'm not trying to be unnecessarily critical, my point is that, for novices, your layout may not be accomplishing what I assume you are attempting to accomplish. And for those who know the difference in selvages, it may be an unnecessary comparison. For what ever that's worth.

Respectfully,
    Brooke

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast