X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hair Sporran

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hair Sporran

Some of you may have noticed the fancy new hair sporran I am sporting in photos from our Burns Night last night.

I am happy to say this is a brand-new sporran, being worn for the first time, hand crafted by our very own Artificer.

I had been following with interest the many fine sporrans Artificer had been posting here on X Marks, especially some of his exciting horse hair creations.

Well, when the order for the Cthulu tartan was finalized, Artificer asked if I would make his kilt. I forget which of us proposed the idea, but both of us were more than happy to work out a trade. A little kilt making in exchange for a little sporran making. Seems fair to me!

We exchanged a few emails, he sent me photos of some more of his work, and I settled on this style of hair sporran, with black leather cantle and tassel cones, with a red leather insert; dark brown horse hair with light colored hair tassels.

When we first settled on the trade he told me I could expect the sporran sometime in January, and I thought that would be perfect timing for our Burns Supper. I worked out my schedule so that his kilt would be completed around the same time.

Well, Artificer shipped the sporran so that it would delivered to me last Wednesday. Wednesday came and went, with no love from the Post Office. I tracked it on line. It still said Wisconsin. Still said delivery on Wednesday. Oh well, so it will be a day late. Thursday came. No sporran. Friday. Now it says the sporran is in Asheville. Much closer to home! Delivery date ironically still says Wednesday. I was hopeful that would be the day. Still no love.

Saturday morning, the postal carrier pulls into my driveway. I run out to meet her, in the rain, and she hands me this oblong box, which I know can only contain one thing.

I get it into the house and unpack this beauty.

Artificer packed it impeccably. It needed absolutely no touching up out of the box to make it ready to wear. I laid it out gently on my bed, and there it stayed until later in the evening when I paired it with one of my black leather straps and put it on to head out of the house.

I am happy to say that it did well all evening, with nary a hair out of place. Artificer included a very helpful letter with the shipment advising of how to care for the sporran, and what to expect with dealing with the hair.

The quality of leather and craftsmanship is superb. I would not hesitate to wear any sporran of his making. It is always a pleasure to be able to give a positive review and endorsement of a fine craftsman such as this. A real pleasure.

So thanks, Artificer, for a job well done! I look forward to wearing this sporran for many years to come.

Lastly, here are a few more photos for the rabble.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Hair Sporran

A beautiful sporran Matt. Congratulations on your acquistion and to Artificer, a superb creation, again.
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I noticed the sporran in the Burns night thread and thought it may be an Artificer sporran. Congratulations it looks wonderful. I am sure it will have hears of wear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Matt: It seems like you both got the "best" end of a great trade.

Beautiful sporran! Thanks for the pics. I hope at some future date Artificer will favor us with a few pictures of his new kilt.

John
    I changed my signature. The old one was too ridiculous.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I noticed the hair sporran in the photos from the Burns Supper, and I am happy to see the detailed pictures. Also happy to see that Artificer's expertise and skill are so well represented in your sporran.

Nice trade, by the way. Any one need calligraphy or ghost writing in exchange for something really cool? I have recently created pretty cool New Roman Missal. Hahahaha.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thescot View Post
    I have recently created pretty cool New Roman Missal. Hahahaha.
    So you're the one responsible for that.
    --dbh

When given a choice, most people will choose.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I, too, thought the sporran looked suspiciously Artificer-like when I first saw the photos. Congratulations to you both on an excellent barter.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks all,

Matt was a real treat to worth with. I really thought events and weather were conspiring to make this sporran late for it's debut.

I'm flattered that I appear to have an identifiable "style" in my work.

As SOON as there is some sunlight around here I will be taking pix of the R'lyeh Sett kilt Matt did up for me. Between the incredibly dark, grey weather and my whole family getting sick, I've had no time to photograph my new kilt and post the glowing review it so richly deserves.

ith:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another triumph, Scott, and congrarulations to Matt! You have excelent taste, sir!

Scott, would it be possible to make a sporran somewhat like Matt's, but with a full sized pouch? Would it still look right?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Ross View Post
    Another triumph, Scott, and congrarulations to Matt! You have excelent taste, sir!

Scott, would it be possible to make a sporran somewhat like Matt's, but with a full sized pouch? Would it still look right?
    You mean a full body pouch, like on a standard dress sporran?

Sure, it's possible. It would more than double the thickness of the body and add about 40% to the overall weight.

The nice thing about this "single panel" style of construction is how flexible and light it is

By adding a back panel and full gusset for storage the sporran bulks out considerably and must have a stiff structure on both faces- as there is now weight pulling down and forward (the hair, and potentially the contents of the sporran) away from the attachment point at the strap (on the back panel). It's basically a rusticated piper's sporran.

That said, of course I can do it.

Another option I'm playing with is an accordion or bellows pocket for the lower 2/3 of the rear panel. It would allow for a bit more substantial storage but wouldn't interfere with the soft structure of the bag, and should lay reasonably flat when not loaded.

ith:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast