X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt Alteration Question. Help...

Just picked up a really nice WWII era Blackwatch tank off of eBay. It was advertised as a 34" waist, which would have been ok for my 36" waist. Come to find out, it's actually more of a 31" waist which makes it near impossible to buckle. Without knowing much about kilts, I've noticed on this particular kilt that the edge of each apron is taken-in/folded & sewn about two inches on each side. Do these folds serve a particular function or can/should they be let out to allow more room if the proper buckles and straps are moved to accomodate the additional material? Any help would be appreciated.
    Fir Na Tine
    Braithre Thar Gach Ni
    Crisis does not Create Character, it Merely Reveals it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Kilt Alteration Question. Help...

You can get kilt extension straps from many suppliers...

No need to alter the kilt.

Chris.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah...I was thinking about going that route...and I will if I have to, but it's such a nice kilt that I don't want to take the chance of having the inside apron showing. I'd like to get it to fit without any extenders. Thanks though and I will keep it in mind.
    Fir Na Tine
    Braithre Thar Gach Ni

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or I could take it off your hands for 20 dollars...
    Mister McGoo

A Kilted Lebowski--Taking it easy so you don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LitTrog View Post
    Or I could take it off your hands for 20 dollars...
    You're a Helluva Guy!! Way to look out for a fella when he's down...Gotta pass though.
    Fir Na Tine
    Braithre Thar Gach Ni

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by truckie561 View Post
    You're a Helluva Guy!! Way to look out for a fella when he's down...Gotta pass though.
    Awww, nerts! 25?

I don't have any advice, but there are many craftspeople on here who will surely be able to let you know the best fix. Good luck to you!
    Mister McGoo

Mickey is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by truckie561 View Post
    I know, right? That is easily worth the 30 bucks I'll pay you for it since it will fit me perfectly, and will save you the anguish of trying to figure out what to do now.

Seriously though, try the extenders. At worst, it doesn't look good and you are out a couple of bucks and you could probably resell them here. And as pookie.. ahem.. LitTrog.... has said, there are a lot of talented folks here who could probably do an alteration for you for not much cash.

And if they can't.. I got 30 bucks burning a hole in my pocket....

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The folds on each side of the apron and underapron serve three purposes. On the outer apron and underapron edges, they form the facings so that there aren't any raw edges showing on the underapron and so that the fringe edge can enclose a second strip of fabric for the double fringe (and give the fringe edge some stiffness and stability). On the inner apron and underapron edges (adjacent to the pleats), the fold serves as a pleat that makes it possible to walk comfortably in the kilt without having the apron and underapron "pull". And third, many kilts are made with a little extra fabric in all three areas so that the kilt can be altered and made bigger.

Having said that, altering a kilt to change the size is a major undertaking, and a kiltmaker who does it properly should charge you a bundle. It involves removing the buckles, straps, lining, and top band, unstitching the both edges of the apron and underapron (because the aprons need to be altered symmetrically to preserve the center stripes), remarking a larger size apron and underapron, and putting the whole thing back together again, basting, and pressing. Basically, you're re-doing everything except the pleats, steeking, and stabilizer, and there's the time involved in taking the whole thing apart to begin with. If it's done properly, a kiltmaker ought to to charge $150-200 in labor for such an alteration (at least half the labor cost charged by custom kiltmakers for a new kilt).

And, depending on how a kilt was made in the first place, it might not even be possible to do this - depends on where a kiltmaker started cutting out the pleats and how much extra fabric there is in the deep pleat, the inverted pleat, and the facings.

Bottom line, if you can live with the underapron showing at the fringe edge, move the buckles and straps or buy strap extenders.
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    And as pookie.. ahem.. LitTrog.... has said
    It's clear you're talking about me, but I have no idea who "pookie" is. Pookey, or even POOKEY!! is a handle I sometimes use, yes, but it bears no relation to that combination of letters you used. Lower-case letters and an "ie" ending? I don't know what I've done to warrant such disrespect, Mickey.
    Mister McGoo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    I know, right? That is easily worth the 30 bucks I'll pay you for it since it will fit me perfectly, and will save you the anguish of trying to figure out what to do now.

Seriously though, try the extenders. At worst, it doesn't look good and you are out a couple of bucks and you could probably resell them here. And as pookie.. ahem.. LitTrog.... has said, there are a lot of talented folks here who could probably do an alteration for you for not much cash.

And if they can't.. I got 30 bucks burning a hole in my pocket....
    The overwhelming generosity of you two guys is nothing short of amazing...What a forum!!!
    Fir Na Tine
    Braithre Thar Gach Ni

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast