X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Abertillery, South Wales

Thanks Derek!

You and I with the Quaich and the bottle of Penderyn Sherrywood that I bought at the distillery. It seemed to get a good reception!

The Quaich with some of the performers just before the Penderyn was poured in.

Me checking the Penderyn for quality control before handing it round.

And the last person to drain it - the son of a Vicar no less!

I will get the full size pic disc to you asap.
    Last edited by McClef; 13th March 12 at 04:07 AM.
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have just taken the Quaich to the Post Office and sent it on its way to its next destination. I shall miss it.

It seems that I am allowed to announce where that is if I am "pressed on" to do so. The clue is in the pun. Yes you got it - English Bloke!

But I still have more pictures of its Welsh visit to put up.
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Early Sunday afternoon I took the Quaich out to visit the Wales equivalent of the Angel of the North - The Guardian of the Valleys. It was created to mark the 50th anniversary of the Six Bells Mining disaster of 1960 when 45 men and boys lost their lives. It was dedicated by Rowan Williams, Archbishop of Canterbury who had been Bishop of Monmouth prior to his elevation but the arms has not been attached at the time, 28 June 2010 which was the actual anniversary and were added a month later.

The statue was created by artist Sebastien Boyesen and stands 12.6 metres tall on a 7.4 metres plinth, giving an overall height of 20 metres. It was constructed in sections, fabricated with thousands of steel ribbons, that allow light to shine through the gaps and yet also allow it to appear both transparent or solid depending upon the angle and the light.

The Duke of Rothesay, in his capacity as Prince of Wales, visited it on 21 November 2011.

These shots were taken from the hillside above and include the Quaich.

And one without.

Last edited by McClef; 13th March 12 at 06:45 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having driven to the site proper and parked up and walked up the path towards the Monument, the Quaich insisted on posing on this rock.

And then it wanted to read this sign.

Artistic landscape view.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Quaich reading another sign giving information about the Guardian.

A close look at the Guardian from below.

A dramatic angle.

And the view looking back towards Six Bells.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great pictures Trefor. Love the Guardian. Heard about that but not seen it yet and it's always great to see how the folk club is getting on. I'm looking forward to showing the Quaich around my bit of the world so thanks for sending it on. I'll let you know as soon as it arrives safe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You just assumed the barrels were empty? You didn't check? Oh my!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL - left out in the open air behind an easily shearable fence might make it too tempting if they were full!

Some interesting angles looking up. Those little white dots under his chin are actually flies.

Last edited by McClef; 14th March 12 at 03:26 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arm and hand detail.

Face studies.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Quaich with the Guardian in the scenic background.

Another look back towards Six Bells.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast