X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mead?!

Pennsyl-tuckey-vill-burg-town (aka central Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Mead?!

I believe I got the Carroll's Mead Sweet Honey Wine from New York. I bought that one because they said they never really have it in stock and the other kind is always there so I might as well try this one now and compare the taste to the other later. The other kind was Bunratty's from Ireland.

Once I found out it was honey wine I was all for it. I love honey in liqour. Drambuie being one of my favorites on ice or as a mix.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have made mead before, some yeasts do better than others.

My first mead took a full 5 months to ferment, after the first pitch using wyeast "sweet mead" yeast it died in 3 weeks leaving more of an ale (3%alc) instead of a wine. A second pitch with champagne yeast left it bubbling for about 8 weeks (on advice from a mead making friend) and it ended up around 12%. I bottled at this point and drank the first bottle, I left the rest to age in the bottle for another 3 months because the peroxide aftertaste of young mead was still pretty hefty. After the aging was complete, that mead didn't last very long... it turned out very good.

I've had a couple commercial meads, can't say I've been impressed with the US options, but the Polish meads and honey brandys out there are sublime.
    Have fun and throw far. In that order, too. - o1d_dude

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the drier meads, such as the Honeyrun from Chico, CA (http://www.honeyrunwinery.com).

I also made a batch of simple mead that was terrible when I opened the first bottle after 4 months, but after I let it sit another 3-5 months in the bottles it became quite nice. Only 1 bottle left!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I drink mead regularly. One of the readily available in liquor stores is Chaucer's. It's not too bad. Sure it's not like specialty maker's, but for a decent price and in a pinch, it's what I pick up. I've always gotten funny reactions when people find out I drink mead. Something that good would not have disappeared over the course of time.

Mickey is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We make our own here too. Takes a long time, but it is well worth it. Haven't really found anything in the stores that I care enough to go back for a second bottle. I second the recommendation to get the most basic, unflavored, and non carbonated ones. That's the true experience. And yes, be careful, not only for the next morning, but during.

As my wife once remarked, "Mead will make you give back things you didn't even steal, before you find yourself in a dumpster wondering why you aren't wearing any clothes".

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm. Gotta purchase some at the local super liquor store (yes, the size of a fair sized supermarket, Chicago has everything...).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkjrb623 View Post
    I drink mead regularly. One of the readily available in liquor stores is Chaucer's. It's not too bad. Sure it's not like specialty maker's, but for a decent price and in a pinch, it's what I pick up. I've always gotten funny reactions when people find out I drink mead. Something that good would not have disappeared over the course of time.
    Chauser's is the best one I've had to far. It comes with these little tea bags with mulling spices.

I've only tried 2 others. One was a blueberry mead that was way to sweet for me, and a vanilla/cinnamon that was horrific, although it may have been a bad batch. I could taste the wood from the barrel they aged it in, the yeast, and stainless steel. About the only think I couldn't get out of it was the mead vanilla or cinnamon.

Pennsyl-tuckey-vill-burg-town (aka central Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mead=good. That's all I have to say.

Hugh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skip the Bunratty. It's not a good example of mead. Chaucer's is better, but only a little. Both work too hard at mass market and less at bringing out the homey character.

The vanilla cinnamon in Michigan was probably BNektar. Most are too sweet. I kind of liked the van-cin though. Have a bottle still in my cellar. I really like oak barrel aged, well, anything! Not just meads, but wines, beers, and brandy. Don't think I don't like their meads. I think they are doing more for getting the name mead on the shelves of your local liquor store than anyone else, except the biggies in the first sentence. They tend to go sweet for the mass market and I like dry more.

My favorite is White Winter mead in Bayfield WI. All good stuff from them, except their bracket/braggot. I am not big into half mead and half beer though.

There is a meadery in Chicago area. Have not had it yet, but a friend said it was good. For the fellow there, do a Google search for mead and Chicago.

Many Polish meads have honey added back to alcohol so they are not traditionally called meads. I forget the name, but it means honey and alcohol. Not that many others don't do the same thing.

I suggest gotmead.com for a great forum to learn all about mead if you want more information.

Redstone is also a great mead if you can get it shipped to you.

Wyeast, both sweet and dry, smack pack mead yeasts are very temperamental. You are better off using a dry yeast like Lavalin D-47 or 71-B. Very common at your local homebrew supply store for wine making. And 1/10th the cost of liquid yeast! Also, some energizer at rehydration and nutrient a little at a time for the first 3 days helps the yeast get going. Honey lacks many of the natural nutrients that grapes and grain have in them. Hence why you can store it at room temps without it naturally fermenting.

Mmmm mead! Had some yesterday. Have some more tonight. :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now I want to go and pick up some mead. Off to the wine shop!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast