X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Winfield, MO (originally from NE Scotland)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good Country Shoes - part 2

In the early part of last year there was a thread about good country shoes for wearing with the kilt. (http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...y-shoes-66456/)

Here's a pair worth considering made of bison skin by HS Trask

One of the options mentioned by Jock was Hoggs of Fife, and here's a few pics of an actual pair. Some interesting details are the studded rubber sole and the bellows tongue (designed to keep water out); both obviously more suited to the country than the boardroom.

Hoggs are a handmade shoe built to last a lifetime, and eminently suited to kilt wear.

Other high end manufacturers of what would be usually considered dress shoes, also ooften produce country shoes for those that have no problem wearing $500 shoes in a field...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Good Country Shoes - part 2

I have no wish to rain on your parade , but whilst my Hoggs shoes are indeed very similar to those shown , mine have leather soles. I always go for leather soles for "general purpose" and "smart wear" as I generally dislike the rubber sole for these kind of events. However, if the going is more rustic, such as on the moor, the farm, or shooting and fishing then, I am a fan of the "commando" sole.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I have no wish to rain on your parade , but whilst my Hoggs shoes are indeed very similar to those shown , mine have leather soles. I always go for leather soles for "general purpose" and "smart wear" as I generally dislike the rubber sole for these kind of events. However, if the going is more rustic, such as on the moor, the farm, or shooting and fishing then, I am a fan of the "commando" sole.
    No parade to rain on... The variety of options offered by Hoggs should have something for everyone... Leather, commando soles, dianite studded soles. Brogues, oxfords etc..

Pricing isnt outrageous either

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think of the two, I like the bison ones better. Just something about bison leather that says "I can take anything you can give me!"
    They seem to have a pretty decent price, too. The trick seems to be finding them in-stock.

And Jock, it's good to see you posting again! Missed ya!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have these for out and about "Country Wear" made by "Rogerson"

Last edited by rir179; 16th February 12 at 02:42 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Welcome back, Jock!

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    I'd steer clear of this sole for anything remotely country or icy/slushy. Kenneth Cole uses the same sole pattern, and while it's excellent on pavement, once the going gets slick there is no functional tread to grip with.

I know, I have a pair and nearly took a bite out of the curb one day when there was the tiniest bit of snow on the ground.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh heck, I thought this was going to be a thread about a good country that makes shoes instead of good shoes for wearing in the country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    In the early part of last year there was a thread about good country shoes for wearing with the kilt. (http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...y-shoes-66456/)

Here's a pair worth considering made of bison skin by HS Trask

I have this very brand shoe, but in a slightly lighter brown and with a toe cap. I love the pair and primarily wear them with my kilts. I have had my pair roughly 20 years and the rubber soles have lasted as well as the bison leather uppers. They are a tough and comfortable pair of shoes. Trask may be difficult to find, but once you purchase a pair, you won't have to get another for quite a while. Thanks for posting this!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remain firm, and stand behind Loake. Just ordered the Buckingham in tan, brown, and chestnut - all with Loake cedar shoe-trees - got a great deal.

Cheers,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by O'Searcaigh View Post
    Oh heck, I thought this was going to be a thread about a good country that makes shoes instead of good shoes for wearing in the country
    England still has a shoemaking industry...I have allen edmonds and cheaney to compare, and while the allen edmonds is a nice shoe, it isnt a patch on the cheaney IMO. That having been said it isnt the same price either...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast