X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: The sporran strap issue.

Great Idea , I too am a man of Substance and can Appreciate a good sporran
    strap.
    Pro 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aspiringloser View Post
    No more worry of stuffing the sporran strap buckle under your belt.
    I didn't realize we were supposed to be concerned about that. Anyway, I like the concept too. Not sure how I feel about being locked in to a perforated belt design. Nevertheless, a pretty elegant solution, I must say.

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aspiringloser View Post
    I like the design. I would think this would be nice to wear even by someone who isn't a gentleman of substance. No more worry of stuffing the sporran strap buckle under your belt. Pretty neat. I like it.
    Why would you need to stuff the sporran strap buckle under your belt? I've worn a kilt for nearly 20 years and I don't think I've done this once, or ever felt the need to.

Back to the OP, I think Cowher's design is innovative and looks good. The one disadvantage I see is the same disadvantage that the sporran suspenders have - you cannot easily slide your sporran out of the way if needed. Other than that, looks great!

I will also say that I have known gentlemen of substance to also address this problem simply by wearing their sporran straps fairly tight, a up a bit higher than usual, so that the sporran rests higher on the waist, and actually sits up on the belly rather than hanging down beneath it.

Granted, that will probably work better for some body types than others, but it does seem to be an option that works for some.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

McRostie's of Glasgow can make sporran straps of any length, and to one's own specific measurments. They also offer them in a variety of brown colours, as well as black. They are made of high-quality bridle leather, and you have your choice of either a silver or brass buckle. I own several and they look great with my sporrans! They retail for around $55 US per strap after the exchange rate. I highly recommend them. They also make bespoke belts and offer bridle leather day sporrans. Jock's black day sporran is from McRostie's.

Cheers,
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 24th February 12 at 07:07 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps I'm doing it wrong then. Mine stays in place best if I stuck the strap under my belt. I suppose I could just rotate it 180 degrees so the strap is behind the sporran.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A very inventive solution to be sure. I would be worried about the lack of ability to shift the sporran to one side, as Matt mentioned above.

I tend to do this when dancing, driving or possibly sitting for long periods (or typing on my tablet without a table nearby).

That said, if I had to choose between hangers and your strap idea, I'd definitely take yours.

ith:
    Last edited by artificer; 24th February 12 at 03:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice idea Matt. I slide mine to the left when I visit the loo. That would be the only difficulty. Good job!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Matt
    I like the idea very much and as a GOS I can see the merits of such a design. However I also agree with Matt insofar that I tend to wear my sporran on a tighter strap with the weight of the sporran giving that 3 to 4 inches of drop from the bottom of the kilt belt. Any more than that and the sporran is tucked under my gut rather than resting on it.

Hats off to you, for thinking of us bigger guys though.
    Friends stay in touch on FB simon Taylor-dando
    Best regards
    Simon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too am a gentleman of substance and prefer to wear a full leather strap with my sporran. Like Chas, I wear the buckle to the side (not at my back) only difference being I wear it to my left side. I then hold this and use it as an anchor point when swinging my sporran to my right side when dancing with a lady or visiting the gents and on occasions when sitting (far more comfortable). Most Pipe Band drummers also swing their sporrans around to the right hip/buttock when playing. I never put my sporran strap through the belt loops of the kilt, the weight of the sporran in front generally holds it in place (once you have your flask and wallet in it).
    Last edited by Eck; 24th February 12 at 07:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will have to take a pic of the sporran slid out of the way. It works pretty nice. But a picture is worth a thousand words.
    Let YOUR utterance be always with graciousness, seasoned with salt, so as to know how you ought to give an answer to each one.
    Colossians 4:6

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12