X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Kilt from Bob

Well, apologies for the delay in getting this posted. My life seems to be extraordinarily busy at the moment.

And so.... My wife bought me a new Kilt for Christmas and I have to say, it is a beaut!! It's a made to measure, machine sewn, 8 yard, 16oz in Black Watch Weathered (Lochcarron Stome). I bought it from a chap called Bob Chalmers who has the ebay presence of Bobilishious. I've bought a number of Kilts from him now, both made to measure and ex hire, and I have not yet been disappointed. His made to measure Kilts arrive in a timely fashion, are very well constructed and a value that I don't think can be beaten.

I've been after one of these for a long time and almost pulled the trigger on one a couple of years ago but a minor crisis consumed my available readies so I was chuffed when I spotted this for somewhat less than I was going to pay then.

Anyway. Pictures were taken during a night out with chums so you might notice the odd drink in shot. My mate Doublewood is wearing an 8 yard, 13oz, hand sewn in Gunn Weathered (Lochcarron Braeriach). A recent aquisition of his (2nd hand via ebay).

My wife and I flanked by friends Gary and Lisa.

(Wifey step out, Dave step in...) Me and Doublewood Dave... and Gary... and Lisa.

Closer look...

Bit less flash glare, bit more like it actually is... Different occasion too for the eagle eyed.

They are beautiful Kilts both... but I like mine better.

That's the good news. The bad news is, My wife tells me that this is my LAST Kilt. She thinks 21 is enough and we have better things to spend our money on in these tough times. She's right of course so I'll bow to her greater wisdom. I'll still be out and about wearing my Kilts and submitting occasional reports of my adventures. I just don't need any new ones for at least 300 years! Apparently
    Last edited by English Bloke; 22nd February 12 at 08:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: New Kilt from Bob

Nice kilt! Do you have a contact for him?
    I like a nice short parade that ends at a bar.

Cowichan Valley 48 39' 1" N 123 34' 54" W
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by English Bloke View Post
    ... I just don't need any "new" ones ...
    ... Then ex hires & used are ok?

Very nice. I like that Black Watch Weathered.

Cowichan Valley 48 39' 1" N 123 34' 54" W
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeson View Post
    heres Bobs contact info http://stores.ebay.com/Kilt-and-High...upplies?_rdc=1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Black Watch weathered is a great looking tartan, I was also looking at that one on ebay for many days but glad to see it went to a good and worthy home

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by English Bloke View Post
    That's the good news. The bad news is, My wife tells me that this is my LAST Kilt. She thinks 21 is enough and we have better things to spend our money on in these tough times. She's right of course so I'll bow to her greater wisdom. I'll still be out and about wearing my Kilts and submitting occasional reports of my adventures. I just don't need any new ones for at least 300 years! Apparently
    Congrats on the new kilt. As for the bad news, I recommend starting to buy kilts and related paraphernalia for friends or relatives. That helps me to satisfy any errant desires to purchase and also makes for more kilted companions
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The word "last" has a dreadful finality to it - I am sure she will come round eventually!

Great kilt!
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Muted colours, weathered colours, earthtones - all just beautiful!

300 years! - well we've all heard that before and none of us have been killed by a wife - yet.

Regards

Chas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeson View Post
    Jaeson. As knotty says, you can get him through messaging on his ebay page. He can get you any tartan you like, but not all are so heavily discounted so I'd make enquiries first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That said...

It is oft stated that every day is a learning day. One of the reasons I love X Marks is that there is a wealth of expertise, knowledge and info, and it's only a mouse click away.

I've just read through a fascinating thread regarding Kilts that are found to have been constructed without stabiliser. (clickety click).

Thought I'd try the buckle-pull test described there-in using my new Black Watch Weathered Kilt as the guinea pig.

Guess what?

Caveat emptor applies I suppose. I think this will probably prove expensive as I can't sew on a button.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast