X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coming full circle?

I posted this in another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve of Lansing
    "...When I was a kid I had a couple of "Hot Wheels" play-sets. Well, as happens, I out grew "kids" toys and they got sold in a garage sale. Fast forward about 25 years and a great friend of mine has a daughter, and she goes around to garage sales to find stuff for her kid. One day I show up at her house and there's this play-set setting in the middle of her living room, and I immediately start playing "cars" with her daughter.

After I told my friend that I had one just like it, she asks if I knew who got a hold of it when it was sold and I knew so I told her. It seems that this play-set had made its way through no less than 4 other families before it ended up in my friends possession. (it's a rather small town, so this pedigree wasn't too hard to keep track of)

It actually brought a little mist to my eyes when I realized I was the first one to enjoy this toy, and that so many other children had gotten to enjoy it.

When my friend noticed this, she promised that I would get it back when her daughter had outgrown it."
    It felt good to share this really great memory and it made wonder if anybody else had a story about something they loved, lost and had come back to them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Coming full circle?

In 1972 I dated a lovely young lady who was a member of the sports car club I belonged to. After a very short time dating we went our separate ways and lived separate lives. Some 34 years later we reconnected and are now quite happily married. Loved, lost and regained. Not the same as your cookie tin but my most important story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigdad1 View Post
    In 1972 I dated a lovely young lady who was a member of the sports car club I belonged to. After a very short time dating we went our separate ways and lived separate lives. Some 34 years later we reconnected and are now quite happily married. Loved, lost and regained. Not the same as your cookie tin but my most important story.
    And a whole lot more important than an old toy story! Good on ya and the missus! May your best years be ahead of you both!

Always, -Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My great-grandfather was pretty well known in the small town where I grew up for his wood working skills. He made small piece of furniture in his spare time; primarily small tables and rocking chairs. He died in 1976. Fast forward to 2000 and I was at a garage sale with my aunt about 50 miles from my hometown. She had asked me to come to help load a cabinet she had bought. While there I noticed an old wooden rocker chair in the corner of the garage, and when I looked it over I saw a small metal plaque on the back of it that read "Handmade by Robert Fox Sr Miamisburg, Ohio. Turns out the older lady that owned the chair had actually lived in the house right next door to my great grandparents when she was a child.