X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Armorial Bearings...

Well done!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep in mind, the images I am posting were the preliminary artwork for approval. It has been all approved and the final art is being hand painted, the yellow replaced by gold leaf etc. They have an incredibly high standard at the Canadian Heraldic Authority.

Here are the other grants with the Arms. The Badge, the Cub Shields, and the Flag.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now, to commission a custom cap badge!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I already have!!!

Two actually, one was the complete Arms as in the first picture, and the other was a circlet with the crest in the center with the eagle feather behind to denote that I am the Armiger.

I would snap a pic now, but both were done in Sterling Silver and if you don't know, wool causes sterling to tarnish very fast.....and what is a Glengarry made of....WOOL! So I sent them to Michigan to be Rhodium plated. I could not keep up with the tarnish. I could not figure out why the badge on my glen would tarnish so fast until I did the research.

I have a great guy to do this for you guys if interested. Let me know.

I will snap some pics as soon as I get them back. They look awesome.

The full Arms will go on a sporran that I have commissioned from Articifer.

I feel lucky that when this mid-life crisis struck, I was in a financial position to do all of this stuff which seems goofy to others, but for some reason, extremely important to me.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a great thing to be able to pass along to your children, and as you said to give a waypoint to those in the future that you were here. Well done, I really like the way they tied each symbol in your COA to a point in your history.
    His Exalted Highness Duke Standard the Pertinacious of Chalmondley by St Peasoup
    Member Order of the Dandelion
    Per Electum - Non consanguinitam

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did I mention being envious?!? It really is an awesome thing to pass on.
    [I]From my tribe I take nothing, I am the maker of my own fortune.[/I]-[B]Tecumseh[/B]
    [LEFT][B]FSA Scot
    North Carolina Commissioner for Clan Cochrane
    Sons of the American Revolution[/B][/LEFT]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 48th Highlander View Post
    I already have!!!

Two actually, one was the complete Arms as in the first picture, and the other was a circlet with the crest in the center with the eagle feather behind to denote that I am the Armiger.

I would snap a pic now, but both were done in Sterling Silver and if you don't know, wool causes sterling to tarnish very fast.....and what is a Glengarry made of....WOOL! So I sent them to Michigan to be Rhodium plated. I could not keep up with the tarnish. I could not figure out why the badge on my glen would tarnish so fast until I did the research.
    Quite true, however wouldn't the badge be affixed to the cockade which is made of grosgrain? Thus creating a 'buffer' between the wool in whatever bonnet you prefer wearing, and the sterling silver badge. Surely this could prevent the badge from tarnishing?

Which silversmith did you go with for your armiger badge? Several years ago, I commissioned Ian Grant of Edinburgh to complete my 'Guardian of the Clan Macpherson' badge. As an armiger, I have yet to have my circlet commissioned into silver (as well as just my crest alone to be mounted on a sporran cantle, a kilt pin for evening attire, or perhaps even doublet buttons!), however, when I do, I will either go with Ian Grant of Edinburgh, Roddy Young of Inverness, or Garth Duncan of Skye.

My 'Guardian of the Clan Macpherson' badge in hallmarked sterling silver.

The coloured template version.

I can't wait to see your photos, mate...well done!

Cheers,
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 6th March 12 at 01:42 PM.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 48th Highlander View Post
    I feel lucky that when this mid-life crisis struck, I was in a financial position to do all of this stuff which seems goofy to others, but for some reason, extremely important to me.
    It's not goofy to me, that's for sure. Very nice arms, I must say! I've thought about proceeding myself; I may, or may not, but I sure can appreciate what you've done.
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, I did not choose the guy to do my badges. I was looking into it and sent an old friend a JPG of my Arms. This guy out of the blue calls me and starts asking me questions about the badge and how I wanted it. Turns out my friend was trying to surprise me.

Well, I met with the guy in Toronto. What he can do for these types of badges is a solid one off. He has a CNC that cuts a lost wax die. They then coat the wax in a ceramic and bake it until its hard. The wax melts away, they then pour the silver into the ceramic mold.

If you are going to make more than one of these, it is better to have the lost wax mold made, or a stamping die made. If you only want one, then this is the way to go as there is no tooling charge.

The advantage in having a die made is you can make them in less expensive materials, and have them plated.

This guy is in the jewelry business and mostly makes Singnet rings etc, but can make plaid broaches, belt buckles, you name it.

It is the heaviest sturdiest cap badge I have ever seen.

As for the tarnishing, yes, it is mounted on the standard Rosette, however just being close to the wool seriously exaggerates the tarnish. I literally had one on the glen, and one sitting 2 feet away on the dresser after polishing. A short time later, the one on the glen tarnished, and the other did not. I polished them both again and switched them out. Guess what? The one on the glen tarnished and the other did not.

I know it seems silly to plate sterling in Rhodium, but it is actually whiter and more reflective than silver. It is a much more precious metal, and it will not tarnish. Essentially all white gold is now rhodium plated. It is not a very expensive process, and you will look like you spent hours polishing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Macman View Post
    It's not goofy to me, that's for sure. Very nice arms, I must say! I've thought about proceeding myself; I may, or may not, but I sure can appreciate what you've done.
    Well said Macman!

Yes, it is certainly not "goofy," nor will it ever be deemed as such. Be proud of your ancestry, your heritage, your family, your history and yourself. I am quite sure you are, otherwise you wouldn't be very interested in Heraldry! All I can say is...well done mate, well done!

Best wishes,
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 6th March 12 at 01:41 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast