X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Armorial Bearings...

I was 38 when I got my grant from the Chief Herald of Ireland. 20 years later I'd make some changes since now I have DNA proof that the surname was changed from O'Brien to Bryant, then I didn't. 40 is the peak to me, I'm now 57.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can appreciate that....however, (and please don't take offense) whilst I am proud to be associated with my Clan, enjoy many of the members etc. I have to say I consider my last name as mine. Even if I were to discover that Cúchulainn himself had road a couple of sea turtles to Scotland and had a child thus creating the name Cochran and I was of that direct descent....I have given definition to my name and not some distant ancestor. (My 2 cents of a oft talked about subject in my house.)
    [I]From my tribe I take nothing, I am the maker of my own fortune.[/I]-[B]Tecumseh[/B]
    [LEFT][B]FSA Scot
    North Carolina Commissioner for Clan Cochrane
    Sons of the American Revolution[/B][/LEFT]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WVHighlander View Post
    I can appreciate that....however, (and please don't take offense) whilst I am proud to be associated with my Clan, enjoy many of the members etc. I have to say I consider my last name as mine. Even if I were to discover that Cúchulainn himself had road a couple of sea turtles to Scotland and had a child thus creating the name Cochran and I was of that direct descent....I have given definition to my name and not some distant ancestor. (My 2 cents of a oft talked about subject in my house.)
    I can understand that, and might even be behind it to some extent - but when I found an accomplished ancestor's rather sizable grave marker with my surname emblazoned across the top, I felt a certain sense of pride and responsibility in knowing that the name I saw is something that he and I share.

I define my name, but it also had meaning before I got it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cygnus...I could completely understand if I had someone in my paternal line like that. I have a sense of pride to know I have the same last name as both Admiral Cochranes (even if one did command the forces that burnt Washington DC to the ground), but as for my line......lets just say.....well....
    [I]From my tribe I take nothing, I am the maker of my own fortune.[/I]-[B]Tecumseh[/B]
    [LEFT][B]FSA Scot
    North Carolina Commissioner for Clan Cochrane
    Sons of the American Revolution[/B][/LEFT]

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234