X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: £3m Budget for 2014 Homecoming

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    I don't know that the proximity to the Highlands should be the criteria.

Stirling had a population of under 34,000 in 2008. Personally, I don't think that is enough to support an international event of this kind. The two towns closest to me are Bury St Edmunds and Kings Lynn, which both have populations in excess of Stirling.

Both would struggle to mount an event such as this. Neither has the capacity to house or feed the influx of tourists. As Edinburgh is only 44 miles away, most people would probably stay there anyway.

Regards

Chas

You could place the population of the whole of Scotland(about 5.5 million) into greater London(nearly 8 million) and still have an awful lot of room to spare.

As I understand it, the intention is to spread the visitors around the surrounding areas including Edinburgh. Perhaps they may be thinking of also using the facilities of Stirling University as it will probably be empty at that time of year? I know that the road system around Stirling towards the central belt is now up to date and is very good and I understand that the rail system is good too. I do wonder how well the communication system will stand up to this event though. I will do my part in helping by staying away.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 7th March 12 at 09:08 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Re: £3m Budget for 2014 Homecoming

"After the meeting, Lord Sempill repeated his desire to help organise a second Gathering in an email to Mr Wood: "I wish to take this opportunity to reaffirm my interest in helping you to attract the international clan community and to provide whatever assistance you may need in putting the event together.""

He added: "I would be looking for a consultancy fee to provide my services."

Gotta admire the stones on that guy

So do ya'll refer to this guy as a scam artist or confidence trickster? Or is he just a 'colourful character' that gets a pass because he's a peer?
    Last edited by Zardoz; 7th March 12 at 10:08 AM.
    Order of the Dandelion, The Houston Area Kilt Society, Bald Rabble in Kilts, Kilted Texas Rabble Rousers, The Flatcap Confederation, Kilted Playtron Group.
    "If you’re going to talk the talk, you’ve got to walk the walk"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I will do my part in helping by staying away.
    Ah, you are truly a selfless man Jock - doing what ever it takes, for the greater good.

Regards

Chas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post

So do ya'll refer to this guy as a scam artist or confidence trickster? Or is he just a 'colourful character' that gets a pass because he's a peer?
    er... actually I'd tend to call him a promoter or maybe a producer. While not every event makes money (just look at all of the failed "Scottish Games" in the USA that leave a wake of un-paid bills following behind their lack of success) Semple's Home Coming generated an extra £10 million for businesses in Edinburgh, even though it failed to bring in enough money at the gate to cover the expenses of the company putting on the event. Obviously he had the right idea (as proved by Stirling taking on the event) even though his business model proved to be flawed (hence the company lost money).

So, is he a scam artist? -- No, he's a businessman who set out to make a profit but didn't. Is he a confidence trickster? -- No, because unlike con artists he delivered the goods; the Home Coming was a rousing success for those who attended, and for Scottish tourism as a whole. As far as being a colourful character who gets a pass simply because he's a peer... over a thousand companies went bust in the UK in 2009/2010, many owing creditors more than Semple's company owed its creditors. And few, if any, attracted the same amount of public vitriol as has been heaped on Lord Semple. So, I don't think anyone can say he got a pass because he's a peer. Far from it, if you ask me.

But none of that matters. What does matter is that the event is next being held in 2014 in Stirling and that, hopefully, it will generate for Stirling as much money as it did for Edinburgh. Whether Stirling's business model will be a success, or not, remains to be seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McClef View Post
    Sempill should be kept well away from this new event - his advice is more than worthless.
    From my own understanding and knowledge on the matter, I tend to agree.
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 7th March 12 at 02:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know that the proximity to the Highlands should be the criteria.

Stirling had a population of under 34,000 in 2008. Personally, I don't think that is enough to support an international event of this kind. The two towns closest to me are Bury St Edmunds and Kings Lynn, which both have populations in excess of Stirling.

Both would struggle to mount an event such as this. Neither has the capacity to house or feed the influx of tourists. As Edinburgh is only 44 miles away, most people would probably stay there anyway.

Regards

Chas
    I simply meant getting away from the larger cities (to me, is a good thing!), but I guess that is where the tourists want to be, where the funding is, and logistically easier. And I'm sure most Highlanders can do without the massive crowds - atleast according to my great-uncle, Lloyd Macpherson, who lives with my great-aunt in a quiet wee town in Inverness-shire.

Cheers,
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 7th March 12 at 01:03 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, you are truly a selfless man Jock - doing what ever it takes, for the greater good.

Regards

Chas
    You know how it is Chas, someone has got to do it.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

davidg is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    You know how it is Chas, someone has got to do it.
    And I intend to assist you as best I can

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cessna152towser View Post
    You will recall that the 2009 Edinburgh Gathering went bust leaving performers and those who set up and dismantled the marquees etc. unpaid, despite the organisers receiving £670,000 of taxpayers' money.
    That should have never happened, and certainly should not happen again.

The public entity holding the rights to the event should insist (in a contract with the promoter/organizer) on a surety bond, or performance bond, that will cover at least a portion of subcontractors' costs in the event of financial default.

Such bonds, though they act more like a "loan" in actual practice, provide insurance against bankruptcy. The cost of such "insurance" would likely be an incremental cost of each ticket.

It surprises me that in the country (Great Britain) that invented modern insurance, this kind of protection isn't routine. Does anyone know why?
    Last edited by mookien; 7th March 12 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Added () for clarity
    I changed my signature. The old one was too ridiculous.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Clan Gathering 2014

A clarification from Stirling Council re the e-mail which was circulated by Panalba to its members.

http://www.stirlingobserver.co.uk/st...1226-29920048/

Clarification over Tory peer’s Stirling 2014 role

Dec 9 2011 by Johnathon Menzies, Stirling Observer Friday

OFFICIALS moved quickly yesterday (Thursday) to clarify speculation linking a heavily-criticised Conservative peer with Stirling Council’s Bannockburn 2014 celebrations.

Recent national media reports have stated Lord Jamie Sempill has a prominent role to play in the local authority’s planned series of events to mark the 700th anniversary of the Battle of Bannockburn – to be known as ‘Stirling 2014’.

He was one of the men behind the centrepiece of the Scottish Government’s much-vaunted Homecoming tourism initiative in 2009.

Despite attracting 47,000 people to Edinburgh, the Clan Gathering – which culminated with a parade along the Royal Mile and a pageant on the esplanade at Edinburgh Castle – made a £600,000 loss.

And the company behind the bash, Gathering 2009 Ltd which was co-owned by Lord Sempill, slipped into administration owing around £300,000 to a combination of about 50 companies.

Moving to clarify the situation, a spokesperson for Stirling Council said: “Lord Sempill asked to see us in order to share some of his thoughts. The council agreed to meet him to listen, but beyond that have given no commitment to working with him, or anyone else, at this stage.

“We are in discussions with a number of other parties in regard to Stirling 2014 and it will be the early part of the New Year before we are in a position to be more specific about our plans and how they will be delivered.

“Stirling Council has not acquired the Gathering 2009 company, but has purchased its intellectual property – particularly its database of thousands international contacts.

“This will be an invaluable resource that would be very costly to recreate from scratch. It gives us a head start in marketing and promoting Stirling 2014.

“No formal discussions have taken place with Lord Sempill. At the meeting Lord Sempill requested, the council’s aspirations for 2014 were discussed in broad terms and Lord Sempill was able to share his experience from 2009.

“Since announcing our intention to make 2014 a year of celebration for Stirling, the council has been approached by a number of interested individuals and organisations and a number of meetings have been held.”

An announcement as to how much the local authority has paid for the intellectual property rights is expected to be made shortly, although the spokesperson did state the council viewed the deal as “good value”.

Group emails by the Tory peer, published previously in a national newspaper, painted a slightly different picture to that of the local authority’s representative.

In the en masse newsletter, Lord Sempill stated: “I can confirm that plans are afoot to host another International Clan Gathering in Stirling in early July 2014, as part of the second Year of Homecoming.

“It is too early to provide any detail, but rest assured we will keep you [the email’s recipients] up to date.

“There will be a lot to report as we get closer to 2014, but in the interim we will keep you abreast of any relevant developments.”
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast