X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

St. Pats in Dunedin, FL

Normally I don't really "do" St. Pats, but bi-annually myself and some of my friends do a kilted crawl in the town of Dunedin (to co-incide with the DST changes in Spring and Fall). This year I was out of town during the time change and we decided to merge with St. Pats.

I dressed a little less than traditional, and yes, I'm aware the kilt is not an Irish garment. That being said, Dunedin is a proud town with a history of all things remotely (and ambiguously) "Celtic", so there you have it...

With friends, on the street... I'm in the green button up...

More friends, and a quite askew belt buckle (I'm really trying to adopt to shrinking man called me).

Not the best picture, but I realized I didn't have a picture of my orange hose, that I scrunched - lately I've realized I don't like the look of non-scrunched hose with boots, almost as much as white hose...This is during a game of "Live Sized Jenga" at Dunedin House of Beer... an amazing (and dangerous, when around drunken female revelers) game to play whilst kilted. Odd to note, the two guys behind me are both wearing old kilts of mine.

Last edited by Joshua; 19th March 12 at 05:52 AM.
    Have fun and throw far. In that order, too. - o1d_dude

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, the life-size Jenga really has me intrigued!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
    OK, the life-size Jenga really has me intrigued!!
    Ditto. I need to make one of those.

Looking sharp, sir! And congrats on the shrinking. I've been there myself, bigtime, so I can tell you- you WILL adjust.

The hardest part will be the hit to your checkbook, when it comes time to have all of your kilts taken in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Ross View Post
    The hardest part will be the hit to your checkbook, when it comes time to have all of your kilts taken in.
    I'm already feeling that sting. My Davidson kilt is too loose to wear at present, my USAK casual I restitched new velcro on, and because I was a bit too aggressive on expectations of weightloss about a year ago, the only 8-yard kilt I have today is the Caledonia 8-yarder you see me wearing in the above pictures.

(the green shirt is the same size I wore when I was 20 though... )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really do miss visiting the Dunedin/Clearwater area. My grandfather lived in Clearwater and was the principal at Dunedin High School for a number of years. He passed in '91 and I have been back to the area since.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by warrior View Post
    I really do miss visiting the Dunedin/Clearwater area. My grandfather lived in Clearwater and was the principal at Dunedin High School for a number of years. He passed in '91 and I have been back to the area since.
    Well David, if you find your way back down let me know and we'll kilt up and take the "Dunedin Lap" - Flannagan's, Dunedin Brewery, Dunedin House of Beer, and Rosie's Pub. The four best bars in Tampa Bay, and they are all in very short walking distance of one another.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    I dressed a little less than traditional, and yes, I'm aware the kilt is not an Irish garment. That being said, Dunedin is a proud town with a history of all things remotely (and ambiguously) "Celtic", so there you have it...
    Thanks for sharing your photos.

I think it is good to be able to know the history of the kilt, respect THCD as the national attire of Scotland, and still be able to enjoy some ambiguous Irish-American "Celting." Some of the best things in life are paradoxes
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg