X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

St Patty's Day Huntington Beach - 1st Time wearing a Kilt!

So St Patrick's Day was my 40th birthday & also my first time wearing a kilt outside of a Highland Games event. Let me just say, it was a great experience! The weather was unseasonably cold (60d F) and rainy, which is very odd for Southern California, but I was comfortable in my kilt.

I don't (yet) have all the fancy (and great looking) jackets & accouterments that everyone here on xmarks seems to have, so I was going for a casual look not only because of pubbing on St Patty's Day but also out of necessity Btw, my kilt and all of the accessories I do have (kilt pin, belt, buckle, sporran) came from USA Kilts, and I cannot say enough about their customer service! Love 'em.

I'm sure this is old hat to you guys, but for me it was all new. I had probably half a dozen people (all female) ask to take pictures with me. So that was pretty cool. I also had a few people tell me "You've got big balls for wearing that". So I guess that was cool? I did get kilt-checked 3-4 times by girls who had a few too many, but it wasn't a big deal. Bottom line, I felt great, looked great (in my own opinion of course) & was really comfortable!

Sorry, the pics aren't too good, I'll do a better job getting some quality pics next time!

Ended up not wearing this hat - I'm glad.

In the rain...

Later, with a better hat...

Once again, had a great day!!
    Last edited by eclarkhb; 21st March 12 at 07:53 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see that you have got out and about with the kilt rather than to just Highland festivals. Thanks for the photos and a smart look you were sporting indeed.
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *** on USAKilts.
    *** on you looking great.

Those boots are (in my opinion) perfect for casual kilting. I have a similar style of boot but usually have the socks pushed down. Doesn't seem to look right on me to have them up--probably because my legs are a whole lot shorter than yours.

Love hearing that you enjoyed your first non-competitive kilting. Hopefully you'll strap it on more in the future--you do the kilt very proud!

I wonder though, if those young women were doing a kilt-check, or just mistaking you for an awning. It was raining...
    Mister McGoo

A Kilted Lebowski--Taking it easy so you don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kilt looks great!
    I competed with you in Long Beach last month, but never got a chance for a proper introduction. Hope to see you at a future games. Kilt on brother!
    "When I wear my Kilt, God looks down with pride and the Devil looks up with envy." --Unknown
    Proud Chief of Clan Bacon. You know you want some!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LitTrog View Post
    *** on USAKilts.
    *** on you looking great.

Those boots are (in my opinion) perfect for casual kilting. I have a similar style of boot but usually have the socks pushed down. Doesn't seem to look right on me to have them up--probably because my legs are a whole lot shorter than yours.

Love hearing that you enjoyed your first non-competitive kilting. Hopefully you'll strap it on more in the future--you do the kilt very proud!

I wonder though, if those young women were doing a kilt-check, or just mistaking you for an awning. It was raining...
    Thanks - the boots are standard issue Doc Martens 1460's. They do look good with the socks down, but it was cold & the socks & tartan-matched flashes (both from USA Kilts) kept me warm!

The kilt-checks were funny....I'm fairly certain it wasn't raining indoors. Nothing quite like feeling a draft while you're at the bar & then turning around & seeing a girl on her knees behind you trying to look up the kilt!

@Downunder kilt - Yes, I'm planning on wearing the kilt out more often!
    Last edited by eclarkhb; 21st March 12 at 08:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by azwildcat96 View Post
    Kilt looks great!
    I competed with you in Long Beach last month, but never got a chance for a proper introduction. Hope to see you at a future games. Kilt on brother!
    Thanks, I'm planning on doing some more games in So Cal this year, but probably won't venture out of state...

Chirs is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the expression is: You rocked it!!

And I'm glad you felt comfortable. That can be a bit of a challenge for some people: I have a friend who sees me in my kilt all the time, and has now bought one of his own, but can't seem to wear it "just 'cause". The fact that you look comfortable in it is half of what makes it look as good as it does. Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarkhb View Post
    Thanks, I'm planning on doing some more games in So Cal this year, but probably won't venture out of state...
    Maybe San Diego or Ventura! Those are the two other So. Cal. ones I was hoping to attend.
    "When I wear my Kilt, God looks down with pride and the Devil looks up with envy." --Unknown
    Proud Chief of Clan Bacon. You know you want some!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You look terrific! I hope you got some nice compliments from the ladies!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast