X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to have a bag with a magnetic closure, and was forever finding that my cards did not swipe.

I must have requested at least one new card a month.

Then I changed to a bag with a turnbuckle closure and actually had a card reach its expiry date.

A lot of modern technology doesn't like magnets.

Anne the Pleater :ootd:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    I used to have a bag with a magnetic closure, and was forever finding that my cards did not swipe.
    ::snip::
    A lot of modern technology doesn't like magnets.
    This was my concern with magnetics, as well.

Since meeting a woman who owns a sheep farm not far from me, I've been considering adapting a quite plain sporran by dressing it up a bit, with a fascia of nice sheep skin.

I'm thinking I'll start with something like this item from eBay, cover the lower portion of the front face with a soft lamb's wool, add a clasp of some sort to the flap, and perhaps some tassels.

Still kicking around some thoughts. But a sweater or two, and a casual belt and buckle, are higher on the priority list. We'll see what comes, down the road.
    KEN CORMACK
    Clan Buchanan
    U.S. Coast Guard, Retired
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, USA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't put a pin-lock closure on it, nice though they are, you'll bugger it. Ebay magnet closures would be better in my opinion. Magnets don't affect chip and pin either if that's a concern.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with magnets is that they can corrupt or erase the black magnetic stripe (mag-stripe) on the back of credit cards, driving licenses, and other such cards. If you carry a wallet in some other fashion, your cards would never see this risk. But as Anne points out, it can sometimes happen.
    KEN CORMACK
    Clan Buchanan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unixken View Post
    The problem with magnets is that they can corrupt or erase the black magnetic stripe (mag-stripe) on the back of credit cards, driving licenses, and other such cards. If you carry a wallet in some other fashion, your cards would never see this risk. But as Anne points out, it can sometimes happen.
    I hadn't thought about this. I've used my sporran with a magnetic closure with out any problems to my cards, but, now that I wrote that I'll probably start... I'm having a sporran custom made for me (I'll be starting a thread once I get pictures) and originally asked for magnets, I may have to rethink that request.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I typically wouldn't worry too much about cards who's information can be manually re-keyed in the event a swipe doesn't read properly... such as a credit card purchase (or a radio call-in by police, in the case of a license.) But think about ATM cards, building access cards, or other mechanisms that depend soley on a good, accurate swipe at an unattended mag-stripe reader, where no manual re-keying may be possible or convenient.
    KEN CORMACK
    Clan Buchanan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123